Login required to started new threads

Login required to post replies

Bike position critique - excessive quad soreness
Quote | Reply
I’ve been on a bit of a journey with my bike position the last couple months. Things were mostly OK until mid-October until too narrow pads made my shoulders and neck sore, and I compensated with an anterior pelvic tilt, which in turn led to back tightness (and eventual strain) and increased quad pain. I figured out the pelvic tilt issue - in the video below I’m engaging my core strongly and feel like I’m in a slight posterior pelvic tilt or at least neutral, which really helps my back. I thought my quads would be better by now, but I continue to have excessive soreness and tightness, particularly closer to the knees, even as my volume and intensity are much reduced. Maybe I just need time, now that the anterior tilt is gone, for things to settle down. Thanks in advance for anyone taking the time to critique my position!

https://youtube.com/...6VjDik?feature=share

Note: I tried to embed the video in the post using the YouTube url but I’m just getting the question mark error symbol. What am I doing wrong?
Last edited by: Greg17815: Dec 5, 23 6:12
Quote Reply
Re: Bike position critique - excessive quad soreness [Greg17815] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
It looks to me that you seem cramped up front. You appear to be sitting further back on your saddle and if I was you I would personally slide more forward on the saddle and want to extend my reach.

Do you like your current extensions? Your hand position doesn't look comfortable-or you don't look comfortable in that position with your hands.

If you haven't been to see a fitter yet, I would suggest doing so-it will likely take any of the guesswork out of it. Especially if they start you from scratch and put you into a fit that works for you then transfer that to your bike.
Quote Reply
Re: Bike position critique - excessive quad soreness [Greg17815] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
caveat - I'm not a professional bike fitter, just a nerd

you look so crammed. bike may be too small for you. that shiv geometry was very short.

elbows appear to be well inside the pads, reach looks short

hips rotated back

go longer, rotate your hips forward, get elbows closer to being on pads

narrow is aero, comfortable and able to hold it is also aero

you just look SO uncomfortable

Merge Multisport Founder & Head Coach
USAT Level 2 - Short & Long Course
Ironman Certified
Brevard, NC
Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
I agree with the others. You look cramped and uncomfortable. Your front end needs to be extended or adjusted to let you settle in.
Quote Reply
Re: Bike position critique - excessive quad soreness [MergeMultisport] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
Thanks - I'm actually rotated forward as far as anatomically possible without going into an anterior pelvic tilt. If I tilt the saddle down more (currently it's a slight drop) I start to fall forward and my quads get more overloaded. As far as moving my elbows further forward, it doesn't feel comfortable when I do that, and I can't get as low with my shoulders and head. But there is plenty more reach available in the Shiv. The pads are only in one of the middle positions.

Since my back strain I generally have not felt comfortable on the bike. But before that, pretty comfortable.
Quote Reply
Re: [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
Not an expert either and I feel like your elbow pads can move forward slightly to open up your upper body? Changing the frame or bike is a big deal and too much hassle, so I wouldn’t go that far since you used to feel comfortable before.
Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
Greg17815 wrote:
Thanks - I'm actually rotated forward as far as anatomically possible without going into an anterior pelvic tilt. If I tilt the saddle down more (currently it's a slight drop) I start to fall forward and my quads get more overloaded. As far as moving my elbows further forward, it doesn't feel comfortable when I do that, and I can't get as low with my shoulders and head. But there is plenty more reach available in the Shiv. The pads are only in one of the middle positions.

Since my back strain I generally have not felt comfortable on the bike. But before that, pretty comfortable.

why are you trying to avoid an anterior pelvic tilt? that's literally the entire goal.
Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
Your thoughts are outdated.

Long isn’t comfortable because you aren’t used to it

Low is not better. Narrow is. Go look at Sam long on the bike. He barely has drop from his saddle to pads

On a Tri bike the pelvis NEEDs to rotate forward. That’s kind of the vibe. You need to adjust your mindset as well as your position.

Ironman Certified
Brevard, NC
Quote Reply
Re: Bike position critique - excessive quad soreness [jkhayc] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
jkhayc wrote:
Greg17815 wrote:

why are you trying to avoid an anterior pelvic tilt? that's literally the entire goal.

Exactly. He needs to understand HOW to sit on Tri bike

Ironman Certified
Brevard, NC
Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
I’m not super special but look at my pelvis.

https://youtube.com/...?si=wDQviRfjln7Qj2Bp

Ironman Certified
Brevard, NC
Quote Reply
Re: Bike position critique - excessive quad soreness [MergeMultisport] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
MergeMultisport wrote:

People get arrested for saying that. :-)

Favorite Gear: Dimond | Cadex | Desoto Sport | Hoka One One
Quote Reply
Re: Bike position critique - excessive quad soreness [The GMAN] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
The GMAN wrote:
MergeMultisport wrote:

People get arrested for saying that. :-)

Shit. I meant to link my OF

Ironman Certified
Brevard, NC
Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
I think others have said this, but looks like a tri specific saddle, which means you want to rotate your hips forward they are built that way(ISM saddle)? Rotating forward/anterior tilt is the point of the saddle and TT position. As far as anything else, I can't comment on. You want anterior tilt.
Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
You don't know how to sit on that saddle properly.
Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
Are you confusing pelvic rotation and tilt? Because I just can’t believe that an anterior pelvic tilt is good for cycling or good for anything really. It disengages the core, disengages glutes and hamstrings. What am I missing here?
Quote Reply
Re: Bike position critique - excessive quad soreness [lonniecdams] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
Again, I think we are talking around two different things. Anterior rotation (rotating forward) is definitely a good thing. And I am rotated as far forward as anatomy will allow. Pelvic tilt is a totally different thing. Everything that I read (and my own experiences) discourages anterior pelvic tilt. It shuts off the core, glutes, and hamstrings.
Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
You’re missing an understanding of how to sit on a tri bike. I

Ironman Certified
Brevard, NC
Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
Greg17815 wrote:
Again, I think we are talking around two different things. Anterior rotation (rotating forward) is definitely a good thing. And I am rotated as far forward as anatomy will allow. Pelvic tilt is a totally different thing. Everything that I read (and my own experiences) discourages anterior pelvic tilt. It shuts off the core, glutes, and hamstrings.

Asks for advice

Is given good advice by multiple people

Ignores it all because he knows better.

Best of luck dude

Ironman Certified
Brevard, NC
Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
That could be, I must not be understanding. Professional bike fit might be best solution to your questions.
Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
Greg17815 wrote:
Are you confusing pelvic rotation and tilt? Because I just can’t believe that an anterior pelvic tilt is good for cycling or good for anything really. It disengages the core, disengages glutes and hamstrings. What am I missing here?

Pelvis compared to torso you’re in posterior pelvic tilt/rotation. Same damn thing. You’re not even neutral.

Ironman Certified
Brevard, NC
Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
When I do an anterior tilt on the bike, my back hurts (more), my asymmetries become more pronounced, and my quads light up. I do appreciate your advice, and while you very well may be generally correct in your assessment, there’s something else/more going on that I don’t have a handle on. Definitely due for a professional bike fitting - it’s been two years and there’s been a lot of water under the bridge since then.
Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
If you can stand up straight without pain you can sit on the bike better.

You probably don’t have room to rotate forward with your hips because that will snake you need more reach in your cockpit

Go longer, raise the bars for a bit, and rotate your hips

Or I can recommend a great fitter in Greenville SC who will charge you to tell you this same stuff 😉

Ironman Certified
Brevard, NC
Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
Thanks - I’ll check back in after a few weeks with an update. Apologies for being stubborn to good advice - it’s a feature, not a bug 😉
Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
Greg17815 wrote:

What is the difference between pelvic rotation and pelvic tilt?

Long story short, you have way, way too little reach on your bike and you’re probably too low as well. But those things aren’t mutually exclusive.
Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
When you try to rotate your hips forward, are you disengaging your core and hyper extending your back? When I’ve done this, it puts a lot of strain on my back. So try to rotate your hips slightly less and keep your core engaged. (Suck your belly button in). When you do this, you should feel your glutes, hamstrings, and quads all working together as a system.

blog
Quote Reply