Login required to started new threads

Login required to post replies

Bike navigation with Android phone
Quote | Reply
I no longer have my Garmin 705 and I am trying to see if I can get by without it. Really just need something to plan a route ahead of time on the computer, send it to the phone, and then navigate the route on the bike. I have a Garmin Forerunner 310 to record data, I just want the maps too. I am trying MapMyRide and it seems to work fine, maybe a little quirky though, for example at first it was turning off the display, and when I set it to not turn off the display, then even after my ride was over and I left the app, the display wouldn't sleep on its own..... anyway... any other apps I should be looking at? Strava doesn't let you pre-map your rides does it? Thanks.
Quote Reply
Re: Bike navigation with Android phone [2wheels] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
I tried mapmyride, but it ate up too much battery. Even with the display off I couldn't ride more than 3 hours without completely draining the battery. I wasn't in need of turn-by-turn navigation so I now I just use it for pre-planned routes if I need to check if I'm on course or not.

--------------------------
The secret of a long life is you try not to shorten it.
-Nobody
Quote Reply
Re: Bike navigation with Android phone [mck414] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
I have an external battery pack that I plug the phone into. Got through a 3 hour ride today with mapmyride and the battery was full when I finished. But the battery pack is kind of big though, probably bigger than the phone itself.
Quote Reply
Re: Bike navigation with Android phone [2wheels] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
maybe try cue sheet? http://www.cuesheetapp.com/? I think you can turn the map off and the app will just tell you if you're on course and when to turn etc
Quote Reply
Re: Bike navigation with Android phone [mck414] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
try upgrading the app. I run both mapmyride and strava at the same time for 7 hours and it uses 1/3 of my battery
Quote Reply
Re: Bike navigation with Android phone [Tracker09] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
I think this depends on your phone/Android version, etc. I couldn't get through a 40 minute ride to work using mapmyride on my old phone (broke-ass old Samsung Galaxy S running Android 2.1). Just got a new Nexus 4 running Android 4.2 and still had 75% battery left after a 5 hour ride.
Quote Reply
Re: Bike navigation with Android phone [KoopaTroopa] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
I use Garmin navigation app for my general navigation when in the car. It does however seem eat up battery life. I wonder if you can drop the resolution or accuracy and improve it.

TrainingBible Coaching
http://www.trainingbible.com
Quote Reply