Login required to started new threads

Login required to post replies

Bike computer illegal?
Quote | Reply
Hi.

Checked in my bike today for a Ironman branded event. The tech told us that we would be DSQ if we rode with a bike computer.

Anyone have any insights into this?

This is from the Ironman rules:

"Athletes may not use communication devices of any type, including but not
limited to two-way radios, cell phones, smart watches, smart helmets (i.e.,
helmets enabled with Bluetooth® technology), in any distractive manner during
the Race. A “distractive manner” includes but is not limited to making and
receiving phone calls, sending and receiving text messages, playing music, using
social media, taking photographs, and mounting the device to a bike for
purposes of using the device like a bike computer."
Quote Reply
Re: Bike computer illegal? [yukio] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
yukio wrote:
Hi.

Checked in my bike today for a Ironman branded event. The tech told us that we would be DSQ if we rode with a bike computer.

helmets enabled with Bluetooth® technology),
in any distractive manner during
the Race
. A “distractive manner” includes but is not limited to making and
receiving phone calls, sending and receiving text messages, playing music, using

Isn't the highlighted phrase the operative phrase?

It's not banning those devices in any and all contexts, but rather in the specific context of using them in distractive manner.

Also, this doesn’t mention bike computers per se.

And by "tech", do you mean the tech guide or an actual person? If the latter, politely suggest that s/he is interpreting the guidelines out of context.
Last edited by: echappist: Jun 17, 23 8:55
Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
Bike computers are fine (ex. Garmins). What they ban is mounting your phone on your bars for use as a bike computer.

The rationale is that you would still get texts and incoming calls that could distract a rider….and some people would inevitably take a call mid-race.

ECMGN Therapy Silicon Valley:
Depression, Neurocognitive problems, Dementias (Testing and Evaluation), Trauma and PTSD, Traumatic Brain Injury (TBI)
Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
I agree. The rules are clear. They changed their minds after we showed and explained the rules.
Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
we have this post at the same time as various discussions around questionably legal fairings. if IM can't even consistently decide whether bike computers as used by nearly every athlete for many years are legal, then what hope of sensible rulings on fairings?
Quote Reply
Re: Bike computer illegal? [pk1] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
pk1 wrote:
we have this post at the same time as various discussions around questionably legal fairings. if IM can't even consistently decide whether bike computers as used by nearly every athlete for many years are legal, then what hope of sensible rulings on fairings?

I think IM has consistently ruled that bike computers are legal, as evidenced by tens of thousands of riders being allowed to use them over the years. One "tech," likely a volunteer, made a mistake.

________
It doesn't really matter what Phil is saying, the music of his voice is the appropriate soundtrack for a bicycle race. HTupolev
Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
On a related note, I am interested to see how this ruling changes over time. Not sure much using a device for music, but more for the live updates/texts etc you can now more easily do with the rise of LTE enabled Garmin watches as well as Apple Watches with cellular capability etc. Not sure there is much in the way of advantages to be gained, but with all these devices with inbuilt cellular capability on the market now it is pretty hard to limit their use.
Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
yukio wrote:
Hi.

helmets enabled with Bluetooth® technology), in any distractive manner during
the Race. A “distractive manner” includes but is not limited to making and

The tech is an idiot.
The bold line means "using the (phone etc) in a manner similar to (how one would use) a bike computer". i.e. you can't mount your phone on the bars.
It does not mean "using a device (such as) a bike computer".
Quote Reply
Re: Bike computer illegal? [MattyK] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
That person is probably just a volunteer, who doesn't do triathlons, who had a 30 minute briefing from the event organizer. He might not even have heard of such a thing as a bike computer, and is imagining a laptop (who knows).

Eitherway, Bike computers are fine... There won't be any problems on race days... I have seen plenty of people who race with phones as well. The only tech I have seen being enforced are people who bike with earbuds.

Unless you are at the pointy end of the race.... almost anything goes as neither participants or volunteers know what's going on. Ironman is in the business of putting up a good participation event (excluding Kona, etc.). Enforcing rules in a strict manner isn't in their best interest.

MattyK wrote:

The tech is an idiot.
Last edited by: bloodyshogun: Jun 21, 23 20:30
Quote Reply