Login required to started new threads

Login required to post replies

Bike Upgrade to Transition- Worth It?
Quote | Reply
I currently ride a 2004 Felt DA700. It has been a great bike for me, and I have ridden it since I got off the couch mid-2011. I think it is a little big but manageable.

While I am not actively looking for a new bike, the opportunity presented itself to pick up a 2009 Transition from a friend. I believe the frame is the right size, and i'll have ample opportunity to ride the bike before I make a purchase decision.

Assuming both bikes fit, I set up the Transition with the same wheels and BTA bottle, and my position is similar (yes I know that's a ton of variables), is there a tangible difference in aero drag between the two bikes? One note- I have a disc cover for my S80's and I hear that a cover isn't compatible with the Transition frame.

Thanks in advance for any advice. Picture of the DA below:

Quote Reply
Re: Bike Upgrade to Transition- Worth It? [wbattaile] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
I could be wrong - but I think that the disc cover issue with the Transition frame is the same one with the Kestrel 4000 (a bike I have) and if you have deeper wheels - it works. The stays in the back that come in close to the wheel will rub a disc cover on a shallow wheel, but if it's deep there's still clearance.

I don't know which is more aero (I would assume the Transition is for sure - but by how much and to what degree I don't know), but I will say that a red and white transition would look WAY better than that bike and infinitely more badass with those wheels.
Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
is there a tangible difference in aero drag between the two bikes?

I'll guess around a 1-2% speed increase. Is that tangible? It would probably ride nicer also.

Pretty sure you can make a disc cover work.

Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
If you assume that the Transition and p3 have similar performance and that yourcurrent ride is similar to a p2sl, the upgrade to the Transition will save you 1.5s/km.
Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
wbattaile wrote:
I think it is a little big but manageable.

Your contact points suggest the bike is not too big. The geometry of the transition is very tall and narrow, not really sure about your DA or how it compares.
Last edited by: James Haycraft: Nov 27, 13 15:00
Quote Reply
Re: Bike Upgrade to Transition- Worth It? [rruff] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
The 1-2% and 1.5s/ kilometer estimates would work out to somewhere between .2 to .5mph increase in average speed for me in a HIM. Are we talking 1-2% savings for the bike only, or bike+rider combined? Even a free 0.2 mph would be significant for me.
Quote Reply
Re: Bike Upgrade to Transition- Worth It? [SurfingLamb] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
SurfingLamb wrote:
I could be wrong - but I think that the disc cover issue with the Transition frame is the same one with the Kestrel 4000 (a bike I have) and if you have deeper wheels - it works. The stays in the back that come in close to the wheel will rub a disc cover on a shallow wheel, but if it's deep there's still clearance.

Thanks. That's what I was hoping to hear.
Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
It's 1-2% speed, not drag. Drag would be 3-5% or so... total drag. Frame only would be >25%.

I think you could bank on .2 mph, but the right tires and tubes can make more difference than that.
Quote Reply
Re: Bike Upgrade to Transition- Worth It? [James Haycraft] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
James Haycraft wrote:
Your contact points suggest the bike is not too big. The geometry of the transition is very tall and narrow, not really sure about your DA or how it compares.

I'm not sure either, but I will get some saddle time on the transition before making a decision.

Here is a recent race picture. It would be better from the side but oh well it's what I have. I would like to get lower in the front so my head doesn't stick up so far above the level of my back. I can't do that on my DA due to the pad attachment system without removing spacers on the stem. This would make my base bar lower than i'd like.

Quote Reply