Login required to started new threads

Login required to post replies

Bike Trivia: whatever happen to Slingshot ?
Quote | Reply
I was watching some old '95 ITU racing last night on VCR when I saw a couple of the athletes racing round on the old Slingshot frame (missing the downtube but replaced by a cable). I remember these from my old MTB days but whatever happened to them now ?
Quote Reply
Re: Bike Trivia: whatever happen to Slingshot ? [UK Gear Muncher] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
one had to be greg bennett.

the start up owner sold the business to a sucker. when all these broken frames started coming back he couldn't offer a warrenty replacement and people got pissed off and the business developed a bad rep.
Quote Reply
Re: Bike Trivia: whatever happen to Slingshot ? [UK Gear Muncher] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
ha- I still see one or two riding around here.. I used to work in a bike shop, we had a folding model that came with its own suitcase. never sold it, but I did ride it once- definitely a strange bike.
Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
I still see some of them around. I had an MTB. It actually worked pretty good. God forbid that cable ever let go- although the manufacturer claimed you could ride it without the cable. Hmmm.

Tom Demerly
The Tri Shop.com
Quote Reply
Re: Bike Trivia: whatever happen to Slingshot ? [Tom Demerly] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
www.slingshotbikes.com

Jim

**Note above poster works for a retailer selling bikes and related gear*
Quote Reply
Re: Bike Trivia: whatever happen to Slingshot ? [Tom Demerly] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
They still make them over here on the west side (of Michigan that is). I do a group ride with a guy who is sponsored by them. They even had a funky tri set up that I have seen.
Quote Reply
Re: Bike Trivia: whatever happen to Slingshot ? [Trianthes] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
I remeber that tri set up. A good athlete named Ryan Calilung, a really fine guy, who worked for SRAM as an engineer, had one. That thing was kind of cool. Ryan was fast on it.

Happy Thanksgiving to you and yours Trianthes from all your frieends here at Bikesport.

Tom Demerly
The Tri Shop.com
Quote Reply
Anyone have a used one size large for sale? [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
Gee,

Since the subject came up...I have been looking for a size large folder for some time. Condition does not have to be mint, and components are optional. I would like either the cross, tri, or road version, as long as it is folding. If you are interested in a trade, I have a $500 gift cert. towards a Aegis bike, Tubbs snowshoes for winter training, and a little cash as well. Please let me know if you have one that you dont ride and want to clear up space.

Stephen Judice

I believe my local reality has been violated.
Quote | Reply
Did you win that gift certificate from a Tri Race in Ohio? I heard that Aegis was giving away $500 to all the age group winners or something like that.

Pretty impressive.

--SD

https://www.kickstarter.com/...bike-for-the-new-era
Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
Slingshot is back on the upswing from what I can tell. The bikes are sexy and the 29" singlespeed MTB looks like a winner. I have an old 90s folding Slingshot MTB that I had converted into a singlespeed. The frame was on the heavy side but it rode great.
Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
Do you mean "sling-slop", not to be confused with "Softride All-slop". I think as I get older, I am increasing regretting the sale of my softride in 1996. I rode that thing to a 5:17 at IMC (my run was a lame 4:08 after trying to ride with a look ergostem in the Boardman position) and went sub 4:45 with that noodle at Wildflower 96. Ever since then, my times have gone down. I buddy of mine road his "sling slop" to a top 30 place at Ironman LP 2000 and ever since he got rid of it, he is slower !

Perhaps stiffness is overrated :-) (luckily we are only talking about bikes and not body parts)
Quote Reply
Re: Anyone have a used one size large for sale? [SuperDave] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
Hi SD,

It was actually the same deal from a race in NH. Im not sure if it was that impressive since there were only about 500 or so at the race. Anyway, have really been yearning for a slingshot that folds so that I can train and then stick it in a small place in the minivan (it is amazing how much room three toddlers take up) when traveling.

Stephen J

I believe my local reality has been violated.
Quote | Reply
Have you looked at the Ritchey Breakaway?

Check out the report at www.ritcheylogic.com. There is even a photo of me on that bike on their site. The bike is a joy to ride.

Please let me know if you need more information on the product.

Regards,
Dave

https://www.kickstarter.com/...bike-for-the-new-era
Quote Reply