Login required to started new threads

Login required to post replies

Bike Travel Case-Airline
Quote | Reply
I'd appreciate any recommendations, its for a road bike.

Thanks.

Berti

"I spent a lot of money on booze, birds and fast cars, the rest I just squandered" -George Best
Quote Reply
Re: Bike Travel Case-Airline [blevyibr] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
Hi,

There were a couple of threads on this recently. Use the Search Posts button and search for "Travel Case" and you should find them.

Cheers,
dt.
Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
I like the TriAll3 velo safe. Lots of room for wetsuit, running shoes, etc. I have flown with it a number of times. Keeps bike very safe. Note, the UPSable version is a little smaller. Since I always travel WITH my bike instead of shipping it, I opted for the larger version and have been happy.

David
* Ironman for Life! (Blog) * IM Everyday Hero Video * Daggett Shuler Law *
Disclaimer: I have personal and professional relationships with many athletes, vendors, and organizations in the triathlon world.
Quote Reply
Re: Bike Travel Case-Airline [david] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
Why do you always travel with your bike? I will be flying to the Great Floridian Tri this year and am thinking about how I should bring the bike. Ship or fly with? What are the advantages and disadvantages both ways?

Thanks in advance for your input.

jb

Jon Bergmann
http://jonbergmann.com
Quote Reply
Re: Bike Travel Case-Airline [JBergmann] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
In Reply To:
Why do you always travel with your bike?

Quite frankly I find it easier, and I don't see a single reason why not. Just pack it and take it with me. i always know it gets there, never have to look for it, and it is probably cheaper. I can't understand why anyone would do it any other way. Everyone complains about the time, reliability, cost, etc when using UPS or others to ship their bikes. I'm not sure why their is a segment who like s to invite this hassle.

Note, I have flown w/ the bike many, many times around the US to Europe, NZ, HI, CA, etc. Never one single problem except the case was damaged one time and I got the airline to reimburse me full retail on the spot.

Hope this helps.

David
Disclaimer: I have personal and professional relationships with many athletes, vendors, and organizations in the triathlon world.
Quote Reply
Re: Bike Travel Case-Airline [david] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
Anyone done much traveling recently. I am purchasing a case for some travel this year (starting in April) and was headed towards the non UPS case, but buddy has been calling the airlines and they are not very encouraging about flying the bikes (e.g. only two per plane- some planes will not carry etc.). I would hate to get to the airport and be told I am out of luck. I shipped my bike one year to Mr. T's because I did not want to mess with transport from airport. It went fine, but I was really leaning towards trying to fly with it this year.
Quote Reply
Re: Bike Travel Case-Airline [Mantis] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
In Reply To:
Anyone done much traveling recently.
Good point. I haven't flown since IMC. BUT, I am rarely on a plane where there are many other bikes. The one exception is IMH just due to the large percentage of folks to a somewhat remote area. e.g. IME, IMNZ, and flying into any metro area has always had just a few bikes at most on the same plane. So, It really just depends where you are going I suppose.

David
Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
I have travelled extensively with my bike and have used a wide variety of bike cases. I use to have the velo safe by tri all 3 which was great for keep ing your bike safe and storing lots of extras, but it was a pain in the ass when moving it from the airport...........it has wheels, but it's just so cumbersome that if doesnt fit in many hatch backs or smaller vehicles. I still have this vision in my head of a friend of mine leaving vancouver airport with his velo safe sticking out of the back of a limo's trunk...............if it can't fit in a limo's trunk, it isn't going to fit in many other vehicles. I have used the clam shell version and it was the worst of the cases because it didn't fit together nicely..........it was like it was warped or something? Also it didn't carry much more than the bike. My personal favorite is the iron case................stores lots, has wheels and is bomb proof............though I did snap off the strap for pulling, but made the airline pay for the repair of it.
Quote Reply
Re: Bike Travel Case-Airline [canwi] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
just be ready with a great idea of what is inside of it. My favorite is artwork-a metal sculpture of course. You have to come up with your own. I patented that one. Otherwise just walk to the counter tell them it is a bike and palm the counter person $10 to let it fly free. Works like a charm everytime, so far. If not bend over and get ready to pay $45-80 each way.
Quote Reply