Login required to started new threads

Login required to post replies

Bike Stem To Handlebars Question
Quote | Reply
I'm going to pull out my profile Aerobars, and buy a new set of regular road handlebars. My stem is a 31.7 Ritchey WCS. That's the diameter the owner says. However most handlebar diameters are 31.8, for threadless. Deda makes a 31.7 but you have to buy their stem, they say.

I haven't bought any 31.8 handlebars out there, but, here's my question, can you put in a 31.8 handlebar into a 31.7 Ritchey WSC stem, 2003. Will the screws unloosen or open up in a 31.7 threadless stem to clamp down on a 31.8 handlebar. Even if you could do it, is it advisable to do it, given the 1 centimeter difference.

I went up to Ritchey logic, and the stems for the one I have are now 31.8. I honestly don't know if mine is 31.7 or 31.8, he said 31.7. Did Ritchey change in 2003-2004, to go to a 31.8 stem.
Quote Reply
Re: Bike Stem To Handlebars Question [boothrand] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
The difference between 31.8 and 31.7 is only 1/10 of a mm--a very small measure, considering the general tolerances used in bicycle components. The two are basically interchangeable for bars and stems.

However, I don't know which profile aerobars you got, but check to be sure THEY are compatible, as most are made for 26.0 handlebars. Only a few of the very newest ones are designed to fit 31.8 bars without adaptors.

Where would you want to swim ?
Quote Reply
Re: Bike Stem To Handlebars Question [boothrand] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
Deda handlebars are officially listed as 31.75mm.

Ritchey's stems are compatible with 31.7 and 31.8 bars, just as their conventional road clamps fit 25.8 and 26.0mm

-Dave

https://www.kickstarter.com/...bike-for-the-new-era
Quote Reply