Login required to started new threads

Login required to post replies

Bike Rental in Switzerland for IM Switzerland?
Quote | Reply
I live in the United States and I am racing Ironman Switzerland 70.3 in June 2020. Does anyone have a suggestion for rental of a TT bike or tri-bike in or near Zurich/Rapperswil-Jona? Or, how do most folks from US get your bikes to Europe for a race? I’ve used Tribike Transport before but it does not appear they service this race. Thanks in advance.
Brian
Quote Reply
Re: Bike Rental in Switzerland for IM Switzerland? [bdefrain] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
bdefrain wrote:
I live in the United States and I am racing Ironman Switzerland 70.3 in June 2020. Does anyone have a suggestion for rental of a TT bike or tri-bike in or near Zurich/Rapperswil-Jona? Or, how do most folks from US get your bikes to Europe for a race? I’ve used Tribike Transport before but it does not appear they service this race. Thanks in advance. Brian

what airline are you flying?

Dan Empfield
aka Slowman
Quote Reply
Re: Bike Rental in Switzerland for IM Switzerland? [Slowman] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
Unfortunately through Iceland. Iceland Air through Reykjavík, then not yet known from Reykjavík to Zurich.
Quote Reply
Re: Bike Rental in Switzerland for IM Switzerland? [bdefrain] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
bdefrain wrote:
Unfortunately through Iceland. Iceland Air through Reykjavík, then not yet known from Reykjavík to Zurich.

i'm preparing an article about this (for the front page of this site). i just got back from italy, 2 days ago. i took this bike case: B&W Bike Box II. i beat the living jeebus out of this case, on planes, trains and automobiles, over 4 canal bridges and cobblestones in venice, through the heart of tuscany, rolling over gravel roads, and i don't just mean in the back of a car over gravel roads, i mean rolling the case, on the case's wheels.

i own a lot of bike cases. probably 8. most cost from $600 to $800. this case costs $289, and i'm seeing for $232 + various costs from a lot of retailers. so, it's cheap.

i chose this case for 2 reasons, beyond it's ability to protect my bikes: it's light; and it's relatively small. i rented a fiat tipo midsized wagon, and i had 2 bike cases with me, and 2 cases needed to fit into a fairly small rental car. secondly, american airlines - and delta has fallen in with american - will treat bike cases as regular luggage, costwise, if they are under either 115" or 126" (if i remember right), depending on the airline (length + width + height). this case is 96" or so, so no problem there, but few cases exceed the size requirements. mostly, its virtue is it's light. i packed a gravel bike, helmet, shoes, a floor pump, and i still came in just under 50lb.

so, this is how i travel with my bike, when i plan strategically, depending on the airline.

Dan Empfield
aka Slowman
Quote Reply