Login required to started new threads

Login required to post replies

Bike Rack over a tuck bed (With tonneau cover) What is your setup?
Quote | Reply
I just picked up a Jeep Gladiator and want to add a tonneau cover and a bike rack over. I have found this that looks sleek:
https://offroadgladiator.com/truck-cover-usa-roll-tonneau-cover/

I wanted to see if there are any other economical options. Additionally, what rail mounted rack is everyone using? I have Enve 7.8s but I don't know if the ratchet system is long enough to clamp on the back wheel like this one:

https://yakima.com/products/frontloader?_ga=2.217483606.1762399489.1612178131-1234588250.1612178131

What is everyone doing for their truck beds?

USAT Level II- Ironman U Certified Coach
Quote Reply
Re: Bike Rack over a tuck bed (With tonneau cover) What is your setup? [Once-a-miler] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
Here is what one guy does. I think it is the 2nd image down.

https://www.jeepgladiatorforum.com/...tor-bike-rack.19603/

Your Jeep has tie hooks front and back so you just get some 1.25" ratchet straps and ratched them down. I have a gladiator, too but use the minivan for hauling bikes. I don't have kids so I just lay down the seats roll the bikes in and then strap bikes in. Eventually, we will travel with the Gladiator and plan on using this method. I hate having bikes on the back or sitting on top of the tonneau cover.
Quote Reply
Re: Bike Rack over a tuck bed (With tonneau cover) What is your setup? [Once-a-miler] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
I've got a rolling truck bed cover - Retrax Pro... it's awesome and lockable.
Overtop I've got the Yakima aero bars with the FrontLoader. Currently have 3 mounted on the truck, and I have a 4th I put on occasionally
Looks great and leaves me all the storage in the truck bed.
Fits nearly all wheel sizes. My tri bike has EC90 carbon rims and fits easily. They do make longer straps if you've got something really deep.
Quote Reply
Re: Bike Rack over a tuck bed (With tonneau cover) What is your setup? [rip6mtb] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
Yeah that’s perfect! Pretty much what I’m looking for. I was just hoping to find an option that wasn’t a $2k cover.

USAT Level II- Ironman U Certified Coach
Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
I built my own, I can put it on and off the truck in just a few min.

I basically made a Z plate the sits under the Tonneau cover and attached to the bed rail. IT just stays ion the truck and only sticks up about an inch. The cross bars attach to this plate with 4 thumb screws. I have it set up to hold 4 bikes at the moment and have some Kayak racks that clip on aswell.
Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
https://www.f150forum.com/f7/help-bakflip-g2-any-folding-cover-bike-rack-212309/

some good info and ideas there.
Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
I installed a set of Yakima tracks on my bed, to the outside of the BAKFlip Tonneau and used standard Yakima mounts to put on the crossrails. Two crossrails have all the racks mounted to them, and the third has wheel holders. I have six wide on their now. Only five in the picture (if it uploads). I can unlock the rack from the mounts and lift it off myself, though it is a bit cumbersome solo. Then I just slip the covers over the mount attachment points when not in use. I use velcro strips between bike frames when going long distances to keep motion limited.
Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
Following as we now have a Tacoma with factory Tonneau and looking at what is the best option for a rack. Like to find one that is adjustable or taller so have the kayak transport option.

Banger
Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
I have a set of four Summit Racks brackets that go under the tonneau, and then use Yakima rain gutter towers with crossbars and put the bike racks on those. Works perfectly for our Tundra, and I get to keep the tonneau closed and the tailgate locked.

- John
"Have courage, and be kind."
Quote Reply
Re: Bike Rack over a tuck bed (With tonneau cover) What is your setup? [OtterJohn] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
OtterJohn wrote:
I have a set of four Summit Racks brackets that go under the tonneau, and then use Yakima rain gutter towers with crossbars and put the bike racks on those. Works perfectly for our Tundra, and I get to keep the tonneau closed and the tailgate locked.

This is basically the same as what I made. It works great leaving only a little left visible when the rack is not on the truck. Wish I found this setup before I spent all the time to design and build mine.
Quote Reply