Login required to started new threads

Login required to post replies

Prev Next
Bike Rack
Quote | Reply
Looking for a bike rack that has a 2" hitch. holds 1-2 bikes. 1 bike now with an add on later would be fine. I want a platform style so my bike is not hanging and bouncing around. But also can't have the wheel strap because the only time I use the rack is when i go to a race with my disc. So no wheel strap on the rear for sure.

What options are out there? Also any feedback on them?

So far this is what I have found.
https://www.saris.com/product/superclamp-ex-2
https://www.1up-usa.com/...category/bike-racks/
https://www.quikrack.com/...ck-mach-2-bike-rack/

Any experience with these?

Quote Reply
Re: Bike Rack [trifantasy] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
trifantasy wrote:
Looking for a bike rack that has a 2" hitch. holds 1-2 bikes. 1 bike now with an add on later would be fine. I want a platform style so my bike is not hanging and bouncing around. But also can't have the wheel strap because the only time I use the rack is when i go to a race with my disc. So no wheel strap on the rear for sure.

What options are out there? Also any feedback on them?

So far this is what I have found.
https://www.saris.com/product/superclamp-ex-2
https://www.1up-usa.com/...category/bike-racks/
https://www.quikrack.com/...ck-mach-2-bike-rack/

Any experience with these?

i have a wheel strap so i just keep my disc in the car. do you not have another wheel?
Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
We have the 1up USA double with 2 add ons (4 bikes) and LOVE it!

David
* Ironman for Life! (Blog) * IM Everyday Hero Video * Daggett Shuler Law *
Disclaimer: I have personal and professional relationships with many athletes, vendors, and organizations in the triathlon world.
Quote Reply
Re: Bike Rack [Bat City UGA] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
No room for an extra wheel when traveling with the family
Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
I have the superclamp and I like it. The rack locks to the receiver and a cable locks the bikes to the rack. Not a fat enough cable to leave unattended overnight outside mind you, be good enough to stop opportunity thieves while you're making a short term stop. The cable is long enough for me to weave through both wheels and the frame, with some left over. I can put the rack on or take it off in about 1 minute. It can be a little awkward wrenching the pin through the receiver, and I keep a dedicated ratchet in my trunk for this purpose. Super easy to get my bike on and off. I have never tried the 1up-usa which you'll get a lot of recommendations for, so I cant compare the two.
Quote Reply
Re: Bike Rack [david] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
david wrote:

I love my 1UP after switching from a KUAT NV. It folds up on a shelf in the garage and it's so easy to take on and off that I only put it on when I'm carrying a bike. No more scratches on my rims and I completely srust it to hold securely.

Only downside is that there isn't an integrated lock. I have to loop a cable around it if I want to lock it.
Quote Reply
Re: Bike Rack [Thom] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
Thom wrote:
david wrote:

I love my 1UP after switching from a KUAT NV. It folds up on a shelf in the garage and it's so easy to take on and off that I only put it on when I'm carrying a bike. No more scratches on my rims and I completely srust it to hold securely.

Only downside is that there isn't an integrated lock. I have to loop a cable around it if I want to lock it.

Second this! My 1UP is set up as a single carrier (no add ons) and it is great. Lightweight, well built and easy to store. holds the bike securely while driving. I also use a cable lock if I'll be leaving it on the car. I get a lot of comments/compliments on the rack when I have it mounted.
Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
1up user, love it.
Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
 Does anybody know the difference from 1Up and the Quick Rack? They look similar.
Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
Another very satisfied 1UP owner.
Quote Reply
Re: Bike Rack [CyclingClyde] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
CyclingClyde wrote:
Thom wrote:
david wrote:

Second this! My 1UP is set up as a single carrier (no add ons) and it is great. Lightweight, well built and easy to store. holds the bike securely while driving. I also use a cable lock if I'll be leaving it on the car. I get a lot of comments/compliments on the rack when I have it mounted.

Third vote for the 1up rack. I have the 2 bike setup. Easy to put on/take off, takes literally less than 2 minutes on/off. Nothing touches the bike frame. Stores easily in garage. Also when open with 2 bikes on, it does not protrude anywhere near as much as a Kuat or thule rack. Also, it's easy to stagger two bikes so they don't touch each other by adjusting the arms that come down on the tires.

The one thing I did add was the EZ-pull accessory https://www.1up-usa.com/product/ez-pull/, which makes it super easy to tilt up/down with one hand. Otherwise, when it's in the down position, you have to reach underneath to unlatch it to put it up.

http://www.custombikexcessories.com
Instagram
Facebook
Last edited by: yannb: Oct 12, 18 13:39
Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
1up, look no further
Quote Reply
Re: Bike Rack [yannb] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
I had not heard of the easy pull . . . my wife will love it!!

Also, tell me about the P5 speed box please.

David
* Ironman for Life! (Blog) * IM Everyday Hero Video * Daggett Shuler Law *
Disclaimer: I have personal and professional relationships with many athletes, vendors, and organizations in the triathlon world.
Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
1up, no question. We love ours. Super simple and super stout.
Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
trifantasy wrote:
Does anybody know the difference from 1Up and the Quick Rack? They look similar.

There's a zillion other places with info, but the short answer is that only one of them is actually available. Quick Rack has nothing in stock (and has never had stock) with no actual ship date.

The slightly less shorter answer is that Quick Rack is a company created by the original inventor of the rack sold by 1 Up USA. He split with them years ago and now that the patent is expired, he's making another version and selling it under a new company called Quick Rack. You are going to see many similar racks popping up soon. Saris showed off a prototype recently.

The long answers can be found towards the top of the MTBR forums.
Quote Reply
Re: Bike Rack [david] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
david wrote:
I had not heard of the easy pull . . . my wife will love it!!

Also, tell me about the P5 speed box please.

Hi David,

Re the p5 speedbox, I designed it myself, 3D printed it and went through a few iterations before I got something that worked well. This is for a 56cm p5.

It holds 2 tubes, 2 co2 cartridges and tire irons.

I’ve printed one for someone else on this forum for $80.

Yann

Instagram
Facebook
Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
I highly recommend the Thule T2 Pro XT

So far the best rack I have used.

Sits up high enough that it doesn't drag when pulling out of steep driveways. Holds the bikes securely and it makes putting bikes on it easy. The folding capability makes it incredibly easy use as well.

Worth a look in my opinion.

jake

Get outside!
Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
Another vote for the 1up USA.

What's really nice about this rack is if you get the single, plus the appropriate number of add ons, you can keep the single more or less permanently on most cars and still access your trunk or rear hatch / tailgate. It's super minimalist and just works beautifully. We've had ours for 8 and 9 years, respectively, and they still are working great, plus the singles have remained on our cars the entire time. No issues with weathering. That being said, it takes 10 seconds to remove, if you're just taking your time! Everything about it, is well thought out.
Last edited by: wetswimmer99: Oct 12, 18 17:38
Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
I can vouch for the superclamp. I really like mine, and it's not as uncommon so I picked it up cheap off craigslist
Quote Reply
Re: Bike Rack [jakers] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
The Thule look alike a nice rack buy I believe it has a strap for the rear wheel.
I am pretty sure that 1up is pretty much the only and bit option for the disc issue.
Last edited by: trener1: Oct 12, 18 19:21
Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
I’ve got the 1-up single carrier for when it’s on my Honda with the 1 1/4” hitch. And I have a second tray and the 2” adaptor for when it’s on the back of my truck with my wife’s bike. Love the rack. Super simple to move between vehicles and easy to load and unload bikes.
Quote Reply
Re: Bike Rack [evokevin] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
I have a 1up, but wouldn't buy it a second time. I like a lot about it, but the tilt feature for getting the bike out of the way when opening the tailgate is the worst design possible. It is simply unusable. I had to tie a piece of clothesline to the release just so I can move it from level to the up position for saving space in parking lots etc. Tilting the bike to open the tailgate is near impossible. I have get on my knees to get to the release just to lower it. Getting it back up is damn near impossible. While I like the tray design and holding me hanism, I definitely would not buy one again.
Quote Reply
Re: Bike Rack [TurtleMan77] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
TurtleMan77 wrote:
I have a 1up, but wouldn't buy it a second time. I like a lot about it, but the tilt feature for getting the bike out of the way when opening the tailgate is the worst design possible. It is simply unusable. I had to tie a piece of clothesline to the release just so I can move it from level to the up position for saving space in parking lots etc. Tilting the bike to open the tailgate is near impossible. I have get on my knees to get to the release just to lower it. Getting it back up is damn near impossible. While I like the tray design and holding me hanism, I definitely would not buy one again.

I see your complaint, but I have never seen or personally needed to lower a tailgate with a bike on a rack still.

Since the bikes come off in 2 seconds, it would be a minor inconvenience at most. It’s not a feature I look for in a hitch rack.
Quote Reply
Re: Bike Rack [TurtleMan77] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
TurtleMan77 wrote:

The one thing I didn't like about the 1up was having to reach under when the rack is in down position. But when I was looking at their site, I saw that they have a handle you can add for $69, https://www.1up-usa.com/product/ez-pull/ I added that to my purchase when I bought the rack and it makes it so easy to open/close the rack with one hand. I think they should include it in the rack purchase, but it wasn't that expensive, so I didn't mind.

Instagram
Facebook
Last edited by: yannb: Oct 13, 18 15:48
Quote Reply
Re: Bike Rack [yannb] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
yannb wrote:
TurtleMan77 wrote:

The one thing I didn't like about the 1up was having to reach under when the rack is in down position. But when I was looking at their site, I saw that they have a handle you can add for $69, https://www.1up-usa.com/product/ez-pull/ I added that to my purchase when I bought the rack and it makes it so easy to open/close the rack with one hand. I think they should include it in the rack purchase, but it wasn't that expensive, so I didn't mind.

I areciate the suggestion. I don't think they should market the rack as tiltable without this attachment and believe it should be included in the cost, but at least there is a solution.
Quote Reply

Prev Next