Login required to started new threads

Login required to post replies

Bike Question
Quote | Reply
Not having much cycling background other than what I have picked up through triathlon I never really paid attention to fixed gear/single speed bikes. It's a pretty common topic of discussion around here though and the Bianchi Pista for about $400 with a club discount is a pretty looking bike.

So answer me these questions, is there a difference between "fixed gear" and "single speed." Are the benefits provided by one and not the other. Do these bikes serve pratical training purposes or are they just a fun ride to break up the monotany? Thanks

Portside Athletics Blog
Quote Reply
Re: Bike Question [SwBkRn44] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
Fixed gear - if the rear wheel is turning so is the cranket - you pedal backwards, you go backwards.

Single speed - you can "freewheel"

Oh, that that is an AWESOME bike - get it, put on some alloy handlebars and a nice seat - maybe a brake.

----------------------------------------------------------

What if the Hokey Pokey is what it is all about?
Quote Reply
Re: Bike Question [Record10Carbon] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
OK, I assumed that was the difference, the freewheel issue. The Pista is a fixed gear I believe, correct?

Again, is there a training benefit or just style? Either way it is a beauty.

Portside Athletics Blog
Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
Yes it is a fixed gear, I have about 4 buddies with one, and have one on order for me as well.

The bike will help you "spin" better - but myself, and my buddies will all use ours a kick around bikes for screwing around when we are not training - running to the store and what not.

----------------------------------------------------------

What if the Hokey Pokey is what it is all about?
Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
You would put clip-in pedals on right? And what do you mean about the alloy bars? What does the bike come with and what's wrong with them?

Portside Athletics Blog
Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
its a fixed gear if you put a fixed gear wheel on it... you can get a freewheel hub to fit on that as well
Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
R10C, any other insight into this bike? What would be your reason for swapping out the bars? How difficult is it to put a fron break on? Would you put clip-in pedals on it or not? Thanks.

Portside Athletics Blog
Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
Does the pista come with track bars? That would be cool.

Swimming Workout of the Day:

Favourite Swim Sets:

2020 National Masters Champion - M50-54 - 50m Butterfly
Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
Installing a front brake is dead easy. On my Cannondale fixie, I actually installed front and rear brakes so that I could easily (and safely) use a freewheel on days that I didn't want the fixed. I had an old pair fo ergopower levers lying around, so I gutted the internals to leave just the levers, and found a pair of old 105 brake calipers. the rear cable is ziptied to the frame.

Definitely use clipless pedals. If you have platforms, and your feet come off the pedals, then you have just lost half of your braking force (if no rear brake). You also won't be able to get your feet back on until you slow down to walking speed or less.

Favourite Swim Sets:

Quote Reply
Re: Bike Question [jasonk] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
The Pista does come with track bars. Can I put brake levers on those or is that the reason to switch bars? Also, if I only put a fron break on that seems like it could be awkward for hand positions. Would I put a brake lever on the right side (which would be the rear) but not connect it to anything? Or just install the front break lever and don't ride on the hood(s) but just use the drops or the top of the bars.

Portside Athletics Blog
Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
You should be able to put levers on track bars, but the angle might be all wonky since track bars have a different bend. Also, steel bars rust.

If you don't install the rear brake, you should still install a right side lever body. remove the lever itself so it doesn't rattle around, and so you don't go thinking that there is actually a brake there when there isn't.

Favourite Swim Sets:

Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
http://www.sheldonbrown.com/harris/bianchi04/pistase.html

This is what you want to do

Just Triing
Triathlete since 9:56:39 AM EST Aug 20, 2006.
Be kind English is my 2nd language. My primary language is Dave it's a unique evolution of English.
Quote Reply