Login required to started new threads

Login required to post replies

Bike Lights for Aero Road Bars
Quote | Reply
Are there any good light mounts for an ENVE aero road bars + aero bar extensions setup? Daylight savings ending is killing my commuting / riding.
Quote Reply
Re: Bike Lights for Aero Road Bars [aravilare] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
Search Cree bike light on amazon, take your pick. They are all pretty good and the only thing worth your money when it comes to bike lights. Way too much overpriced stuff out there, I would never spend more than $50 dollars for a light these days.
Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
there are so many options for lights. I commute 12 months of the year. We don't get snow, but maaaaaan it gets cold some days.

For me, the choice for lights is primarily determined by one question. Are your lights so you can see, or so you can be seen?

For me, it's mainly to be seen. I have a CREE with a 3x AA battery pack. The light can mount on std handle bar or on the stem (with light rotated 90 deg of course). I have mine just left of the stem. That way, the battery pack can sit on my stem, and I only need a very short cable. While the light is primarily to be seen, it also works more than well enough for seeing, when I ride through a park near my home.

Around my seat tube, I have some silicone type red LED's pointing rearward. I change the batteries at differnt intervals so one is always bright while the other is half dead.

On my helmet I have 2 red LED button lights at the back (similar battery replacement strategy). I also have one white LED button light on my helmet facing forward, that I can aim at cars pulling out of side streets.

Of course, there are two light strategies.
1. Be lit up like an Xmas tree.
2. Go stealth (they can't hit what they can't see :-)

I go with option 1 but have still been hit several times in the last 12 years.

I also ride with a GoPro, so the cops can at least have a record of who hit me :-(

TriDork

"Happiness is a myth. All you can hope for is to get laid once in a while, drunk once in a while and to eat chocolate every day"
Quote Reply
Re: Bike Lights for Aero Road Bars [tridork] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
tridork wrote:
there are so many options for lights. I commute 12 months of the year. We don't get snow, but maaaaaan it gets cold some days.

For me, the choice for lights is primarily determined by one question. Are your lights so you can see, or so you can be seen?

For me, it's mainly to be seen. I have a CREE with a 3x AA battery pack. The light can mount on std handle bar or on the stem (with light rotated 90 deg of course). I have mine just left of the stem. That way, the battery pack can sit on my stem, and I only need a very short cable. While the light is primarily to be seen, it also works more than well enough for seeing, when I ride through a park near my home.

Around my seat tube, I have some silicone type red LED's pointing rearward. I change the batteries at differnt intervals so one is always bright while the other is half dead.

On my helmet I have 2 red LED button lights at the back (similar battery replacement strategy). I also have one white LED button light on my helmet facing forward, that I can aim at cars pulling out of side streets.

Of course, there are two light strategies.
1. Be lit up like an Xmas tree.
2. Go stealth (they can't hit what they can't see :-)

I go with option 1 but have still been hit several times in the last 12 years.

I also ride with a GoPro, so the cops can at least have a record of who hit me :-(

I have two Cygolite Streak 280s; brightness is good but there's no way to mount on the airfoil shape or the aerobars.

Is there a good mount for backpack straps or on a Specialized Evade helmet?
Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
Any of the light and motion self contained lights will work.[/url][url=https://flic.kr/p/gaCjbD]Untitled[/url] by [url=https://www.flickr.com/people/25057373@N05/]chrisroundy[/url], on Flickr[/img]

"When the going gets weird, the weird turn pro."
Hunter S. Thompson
Last edited by: tri-tele: Nov 6, 14 16:14
Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
You need lights with longer straps and that might need to be rotated 90 degrees, like the pic above.

Dinotte xml3 or xml 4. (Super bright options 1500 and 2100 lumens, respectively)
Light and motion urban line up, like the 800 or the taz series, like the taz 1500

The all work great with aero bars or aero road bars.
Last edited by: mcycle: Nov 6, 14 21:26
Quote Reply
Re: Bike Lights for Aero Road Bars [tri-tele] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
tri-tele wrote:
Any of the light and motion self contained lights will work.[/url][url=https://flic.kr/p/gaCjbD]Untitled[/url] by [url=https://www.flickr.com/people/25057373@N05/]chrisroundy[/url], on Flickr[/img]

x2 on the Light and Motion. Mount mine on my aero bars just like this for early morning rides. Flip it over and put on top of road bike bars for commuting, works perfect on both!
Quote Reply
Re: Bike Lights for Aero Road Bars [trifreemc] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
Does the mount rotate 90 degrees to fit the aero bars and then back for the road bars?

Twitter@Forsey37
Quote Reply
Re: Bike Lights for Aero Road Bars [trifreemc] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
I hava a Nite Rider 650 lumen light and mount it on aerobars much like the below (tri-tele's) picture. On my road bike, I use a Womo Designs double mount (garmin / light), but it didn't put the garmin out far enough on the TT bike for me.

trifreemc wrote:
tri-tele wrote:
Any of the light and motion self contained lights will work.[/url][url=hps://flic.kr/p/gaCjbD]Untitled[/url] by [url=https://www.flickr.com/people/25057373@N05/]chrisroundy[/url], on Flickr[/img]

x2 on the Light and Motion. Mount mine on my aero bars just like this for early morning rides. Flip it over and put on top of road bike bars for commuting, works perfect on both!
Last edited by: cricket1116: Nov 7, 14 8:26
Quote Reply
Re: Bike Lights for Aero Road Bars [Forsey] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
Forsey wrote:
Does the mount rotate 90 degrees to fit the aero bars and then back for the road bars?

Yes it does.
Quote Reply
Re: Bike Lights for Aero Road Bars [Forsey] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
yup, the mount rotates and would take about 60 seconds or less to move from aero bar extensions to regular road bar.

"When the going gets weird, the weird turn pro."
Hunter S. Thompson
Quote Reply
Re: Bike Lights for Aero Road Bars [tri-tele] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
tri-tele wrote:
yup, the mount rotates and would take about 60 seconds or less to move from aero bar extensions to regular road bar.

60 seconds if you are slow ;)

More like 10 seconds. Light and motion urban series is great for an aerobar. Check out their 800 lumen model.
Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
[/img]

Another option is the NiteRider MiNewt series. You can strap the rechargeable battery pack below your aero extensions (comes with velcro straps) and the light unit has rubber bands that are long and strong enough to mount to aero bars. Can get 350, which works fine for me, or 770 lumen version.
Quote Reply