Login required to started new threads

Login required to post replies

Bike Geometry Weenies: R2.5 versus CAAD4
Quote | Reply
So in my ignorance, I compared the CAAD4 frame (I have one, which is why I care) numbers to the R2.5/Soloist. I compared Seat tube angle, head tube angle, BB drop, top tube, Head tube, front center distance, standover height, stack and reach. Stack and reach were approximations from my measurements, the others were from the manufacturers websites, both for a 56 frame. Although the frames look different, many of these numbers were identical and all were extremely close. The only variance that seemed significant was the standover height, and this, I assume is a function of the fact that that measurement is taken near the intersection of the seat tube and the top tube, and the R2.5/Soloist toptube slants down.

However, the frames look very different. Does that difference translate into speed, feel, or what? Why the difference? The CAAD4 frame is about 1358 grams, but I did not see the Soloist weight.
Last edited by: Monk: Apr 20, 05 20:51
Quote Reply
Re: Bike Geometry Weenies: R2.5 versus CAAD4 [Monk] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
Monk, you're worrying way to much. The R2.5 and Soloist are compact frames but one is carbon and the other is aluminium aero tubing. Your Canondale is a more traditional road geometry. The advantages/disadvantages or compact vs traditional geometries has been discussd here a million times and it always ends up a draw. Plus you've got a P2K. Stop trying to compare apples to aranges and decide what you really want a bike(s) to do for you.

Based on your previous posts you should either :

1) Keep the P2K with new aero wheels and upgrade the Canondale

2) Keep the P2K sell the Canondale and purchase a new mid level road bike

3) Sell the P2k and Canondale and purchase a high end road bike.

Got a coin in your pocket. Why just not do a flip off. :)
Quote Reply
Re: Bike Geometry Weenies: R2.5 versus CAAD4 [cerveloguy] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
3 is out of the question. 2, you don't get anything for it, and I have concluded the frame is good, the brakes will stop the bike, and the gears will shift the bike. SO THE WINNER IS #1! Thanks for your help.

Sorry, I haven't followed the compact frame discussions. I was not ready to accept the teachings at that point.
Quote Reply
Re: Bike Geometry Weenies: R2.5 versus CAAD4 [Monk] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
The CAAD4 frames, to my taste feel stiff, but translate the stiffness into a harsh ride if your not a bit carefull about what saddle or pot your using. I used two of the 4 frames for a while, one got wrecked, one got sold Both were great bikes for commuting. Did my first triathlons on the frame with the flag on the side, all was good till I discovered that aero bikes and better constructed frames were the key to happiness. Its a great frame but I found that the paint would flake off under the brake cable stops and the aluminum would fur up and flake off due to the heat, humidity and sweat produced in florida. Apart from that the frame is bulletproof. However I rede a Giant carbon now and its great!!!
Quote Reply
Monk, with that in mind [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
why don't you do something a bit off track from the normal lemming-like response for so many of the neophytes on this board. Specifically, upgrade you C'dale with Campy. You can purchase a Centaur kit for a very reasonable price online in addition to a new set of wheels (Protons, perhaps?). It'd be a refreshing change from Shimano. I'm not saying better, rather, it would provide an exciting alternative to your P2.

PM me if you want a couple websites with great prices. No...I'm not affiliated. I'm a regular customer.

Scott
Quote Reply