Login required to started new threads

Login required to post replies

Bike Fitting in Texas
Quote | Reply
Thought I would try this again.

I'm new to cycling and really need someone who is good at fitting clydesdales. I live in Houston so I will travel to Dallas, Austin, San Antonio and even some parts of Louisiana.

I really wanted to buy a bike from John Cobb in Tyler but I understand Bicycle Sports is closed for good.

Thanks for the help.
Quote Reply
Re: Bike Fitting in Texas [BigTex] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
I don't have specific fit experience with him, but Matt Chauvin (tricoachusa@aol.com) has worked with John Cobb in the past and from what I know about Matt, I would go to him for a fitting. He is in League City so there shouldn't be a travel problem other than the horrible I 45 traffic.

Tom
Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
Call Dan at Pro Cycles on Shepherd, 713-524-4847. I've been told he's the second-best bike fitter in the region. Supposedly the best is in Shreveport, LA. If you really want to drive all the way to Shreveport, I can get more details.

If you go see Dan, be prepared to spend a few hours there. He really takes his time to get it right. And don't be deterred by the mess. He knows his stuff.
Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
For a tri specific fit, there are only a few that I know of who have a lot of experience. There are several road fitters, but for tri-specific only a few that I know of. None are FIST (slowtwitch) certified that I know of.

The first is Don Ruthven at Austin Tri-Cyclist. He's not a FIST certified dealer, but is an avid slowtwitch reader and stufy of fitting tri bikes. I've seen his fit change over the years as well as several folks that he's fitted and they look pretty textbook to me. www.austintricyclist.com

The second would be Jack Murray at Jack and Adam's Bikes in Austin. He worked at Austin Tri-Cyclist previously, has since opened his own shop, and does a good job with fitting as well. www.jackandadams.com

Last, these are in alphabetical order, is Jay Williams at Roger Soler's Sports in San Antonio. He's out of town right now at a conference with Dave Scott. But, Roger will have a grand opening of Soler Tri Sports this weekend in San Antonio. Jay has a Exercise Phys/Kinesiology background, has fit a lot of folks to bikes and has been working in shops for probably 1/2 of his 26 or so years. www.rogersoler.com

Brandon Marsh - Website | @BrandonMarshTX | RokaSports | 1stEndurance | ATC Bikeshop |
Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
I heard that all Bicycle Sports locations closed but Tyler. I've received somewhat recent sale flyer emails from Bicycle Sports, and their website is still up.

Is there any more recent news about a change? If not, maybe the Tyler location is still open. If so, you could check with Dave Bunce. He'd take great care of getting you fitted, and he's the Tyler store manager.
Quote Reply