Login required to started new threads

Login required to post replies

Bike Advice please
Quote | Reply
I need some advice. I have completed my first season of Tri’s this year, and have found myself wanting to upgrade my bike. I am currently using a 2003 Specialized Alliz road bike. For the most part, it still has all its stock components, but I have added Profile Aerobars.

I don’t have the funds to do a major upgrade, but I figured I basically have two general choices, and I was hoping that I could get some input on which direction would see the best improvements in my times.

Option 1: Sell my road bike and get some sort of used entry or mid-level Tri bike w/ accompanying tri geometry. However, it would pretty much have to be stock components, as I couldn’t afford to get good racing wheels/tires in addition to the bike and other upgrades.

Option 2: Trick out my road bike for Tri racing which would include: Racing wheels (HED3, Zipp, etc), new handlebars w/ bar-end shifters, possibly a fwd angle seat post, getting professionally fitted, possibly needing a longer stem, etc..

Assuming that I could do either of the two for roughly the same amount of money, which would be the best way to go to improve my biking times?

Will having 76 degree seatpost have a significant effect on my run time, versus just sliding the seat forward?

Background on me and goals:

Targeting a half ironman next year, and an ironman the following, plus the assorted Olys/sprints.

I am a solid MOPer, and probably will remain as such, but who knows…

Currently I can do the 40K bike in an Oly distance race at an avg 21mph.

Thanks for any thoughts on the situation.
Last edited by: HeatMiser: Sep 24, 03 13:18
Quote Reply
Re: Bike Advice please [HeatMiser] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
What type of bike riding will you be doing other than training for tris? If you wish to ride in a group with roadies or live in a hilly area then keep the road bike. If all your riding will just be for tris and tri training then a tri bike would likely be OK. Just remember that a tri bike is not near as versatile as a road bike.

I'd keep the drop bars and STI on the road bike. Have a look at the Vision Tech site and it shows that Jim Martin's windtunnel testing showed that the difference between drop bars/clip-ons and bull horn/clip-ons is minimal. Plus if you switch you can't use the road bike for group rides. It's not until you spend the $$$ for the one piece integrated bars that it makes any kind of an aero difference.

I wouldn't get a forward post. Too far forward on a road geometry really messes up the handling characterisitcs. A neutral post with the seat pushed forward usually gives 75/76 degrees. This can work well particularly on compact frames such as Giant TCR, Cervelo Soloist, etc. Can't remember if your frame is compact or not.

Another alternative to a forward post, etc. might be to have a look at the big slam position as described on John Cobb's website. The site is temporarily down at the moment but this position works very well on a road bike for some people and is described nicely on the site. Hopefully it will be back up soon. Essentially you slide the seat back to 72 degrees, drop it a bit, get a shorter stem and short aero bars. According to Cobb, this position is more powerful and can be even more aero than steep for some people if it is done properly.
Quote Reply
Re: Bike Advice please [HeatMiser] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
I mostly agree with Cerveloguy. I think that you can never have too many bikes. This is the perfect opportunity to take a step toward a multi-bike existence. You've only just finished your first year in triathlon. Keep the road road bike, and set it up to maximize your triathlon potential on that bike.

Next, start saving again, and then buy a tri-bike. That way, in another year or so, you'll have built up a good training base of two or three years in the sport; and you'll have both types of bikes and more training options. At that point, you'll probably see more improvement in your cycling than if you just give in to the temptation to buy a tri-specific bike now.

It's hard, I know. I'm racing and training on a 2002 Trek 2000 that I've modified into a "tri-bike" using a forward seat post, aerobars and deep rim wheels. Not a day goes by that I don't think about scrapping the Trek and buying a Cervelo or QR. However, my thinking is that since I'm only a MOPer in his first year of triathlon, what good is a tri-bike really going to do me? It won't help put me on the podium until I've had a couple of more years to build my fitness.

That's my $0.02.

Steve

-------------------------------------
Steve Perkins
Quote Reply