Login required to started new threads

Login required to post replies

Prev Next
Re: Big Kahuna 12 is up! [ericmulk] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
[quote ericmulkEric - Since you appear to be the programmer behind the scenes, one thing has kinda sorta bugged me over the past year is that the Big Kahuna day count is usually 1 day ahead, e.g. right now it says "Day 8 of 365" whereas it is clearly Day 7 (7 Jan) at least here in North America. Do you think you could fix this??? Also, this same error appears to plague the 100/100 link also, if I'm counting correctly. :)[/quote]
You are. Good eye. I thought I had put code in there to correctly respect the user's time zone for the challenge days calculation, and I checked it and it was Very Much Most Definitely Not Working At All. So for you, about half the day results in it being off by one.

I think I have it fixed now. Let's watch as we get into the evening if it stays correct :)

-Eric
Quote Reply
Re: Big Kahuna 12 is up! [Billabong] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
Hey sir, and really, hey everyone,

Challenge enrollments and a few other things ought to be working in Firefox now.

It was less of a Firefox bug and more of a "how on earth did this work in Chrome" bug. :)

-Eric
Quote Reply
Re: Big Kahuna 12 is up! [JoelO] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
JoelO wrote:
Eric, how often do you race and what distances?

If training is your hobby and you’re not racing…sure, moderate volume year round is fine. Your definition of moderate seems a bit out there though at 16-19ish hours a week (5-6 hours swim, 7.5 -8.5 hours bike, 4-5 hours run, plus pre and post wardrobe changing, etc…). I think most people are fine with that for a build to a big race but not for normal weekly training. For people that work, that doesn’t leave much free time for family, friends, household chores or other hobbies.

IME you need to average about 20hrs per week training to make BK status. I made it in 2020 and as you noted I had several things going for me: I wasn't working (retired), we were in lock down most of the year due to COVID and so there were few family distractions, and of course there was very little racing going on. And, most importantly, I didn't get injured or burned out from the "BIG" training.

Last year, 2021, I didn't score as well as 2020 because I raced a lot (and a return to family outings)! My racing performance was probably my best ever which I attribute to the high volume I put in during 2020 so it was very much worth the time and effort (and in full disclosure I also was the young guy in a new "old" age group this year).

IMO, the BK challenge is slanted toward athletes that would rather train than race and who can train a LOT without getting injured, burned out, and/or distracted by what the rest of society would consider normal living;) Given those parameters I don't see a lot of growth in its participation although I will be the first to recommend users join for the training camaraderie.
Quote Reply
Re: Big Kahuna 12 is up! [EricTheBiking] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
For whatever reason the Strava sync button isn't working for me. Hasn't worked the last two days. On mobile phone. I'll try laptop later.

http://www.sfuelsgolonger.com
Quote Reply
Re: Big Kahuna 12 is up! [timr] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
Same here but only today is the Strava link not uploading. Tried on mobile, iPad and Mac and attempted to upload 2 weeks and 2 months with no success.
Quote Reply
Re: Big Kahuna 12 is up! [rcmioga] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
rcmioga wrote:
Feel free to air them now!

I missed bronze for 2021 by a couple hundred points as a three week trip to Yellowstone, glacier national, and grand Tetons put me behind, and I decided to spend time with family rather than cram a bunch of points over Christmas.

How’s that for a good pathetic whine?
Quote Reply
Re: Big Kahuna 12 is up! [scooter23] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
I'm in the same boat. Been trying to sync up for my 100/100 runs to update today's run and I get nothing. Won't work on mobile or pc. Definitely seems like something is wrong with the Strava sync.
Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
Can you explain the rules/point system to me? Sorry I don’t see it anywhere

Thanks
Quote Reply
Re: Big Kahuna 12 is up! [Sbernardi] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
Quote:
20,000 points means earning the coveted Big Kahuna title, 18,000 points is Big Kahuna Gold, 15,000 points is Silver, and 12,000 is Bronze

The part you're prob needing to square the circle is 1 mile biking = 1 point, 1 mile running = 4 points, 100 yds swim = 1 point.
Last edited by: TheRhino: Jan 8, 22 15:16
Quote Reply
Re: Big Kahuna 12 is up! [TheRhino] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
So all u need to do is swim to win?

http://www.TriScottsdale.org
Quote Reply
Re: Big Kahuna 12 is up! [timr] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
timr wrote:
For whatever reason the Strava sync button isn't working for me. Hasn't worked the last two days. On mobile phone. I'll try laptop later.

Can't speak to yesterday but I broke it today. Just fixed it. Sorry for the trouble!!

-Eric
Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
You need to accumulate the different point levels to earn that medal. Not sure I'd use the phrase "win" in any capacity here.
Quote Reply
Re: Big Kahuna 12 is up! [TheRhino] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
For most people 1hr of running is what 7-7.5mi avg or less . that’s 30points. A 3k swim gets you the same. That’s a 2:00min per 100.

The biggest point total would be swimming.

Most people aren’t biking 20mph.

The distribution should be changed
Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
<pink> Be a good triathlete and don't swim. Problem solved. </pink>

The formula can be debated ad nauseam and everyone will believe it should align to their strengths/splits/etc.. Most people seem to be satisfied with it (way less whining over here than in the 100/100).

2:00/100 swim is pretty close for me (see comment above re triathletes and swimming). Honestly, I don't lose any sleep over the formula. It's "close enough" and it's a fun/social way of tracking roughly how my training capacity aligns to volumes the maniacs are putting down.

If someone wants to replace all their training with swimming for internet points, that's fine with me.
Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
Here’s a link to an article Slowman wrote last year.

https://www.slowtwitch.com/...bic_Points_7856.html
Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
Sbernardi wrote:
For most people 1hr of running is what 7-7.5mi avg or less . that’s 30points. A 3k swim gets you the same. That’s a 2:00min per 100.

My two cents.

A 10k run is a hard workout for me. Easily "worth" 25 points.

A 25-mile ride is a good workout, although normally not as tough on me as a 10k run. But I don't have a problem leaving that at 25 points.

I think "swimmers" (or people who get in lots of swimming) might have an advantage over someone like me when it comes to BK points. The logistics of getting to the pool (when they're open for lap swims) is a factor for me. Also, I don't get the same satisfaction churning back and forth in the pool that I get from cycling and running outdoors, so I'd rather be cycling or running anyway. Cycling 100 miles or running 25 miles in a week is pretty easy for me. Getting in 10,000 yards of swimming in a week would be pretty exceptional for me, but I don't have a problem rewarding the people who can pull this off.

"Human existence is based upon two pillars: Compassion and knowledge. Compassion without knowledge is ineffective; Knowledge without compassion is inhuman." Victor Weisskopf.
Quote Reply
Re: Big Kahuna 12 is up! [EricTheBiking] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
EricTheBiking wrote:
[quote ericmulkEric - Since you appear to be the programmer behind the scenes, one thing has kinda sorta bugged me over the past year is that the Big Kahuna day count is usually 1 day ahead, e.g. right now it says "Day 8 of 365" whereas it is clearly Day 7 (7 Jan) at least here in North America. Do you think you could fix this??? Also, this same error appears to plague the 100/100 link also, if I'm counting correctly. :)

You are. Good eye. I thought I had put code in there to correctly respect the user's time zone for the challenge days calculation, and I checked it and it was Very Much Most Definitely Not Working At All. So for you, about half the day results in it being off by one.

I think I have it fixed now. Let's watch as we get into the evening if it stays correct :)

-Eric[/quote]
Thanks Eric. I kept thinking someone else would notice and fix these two small errors but apparently I was the only one who noticed these small bugs. :)

"Anyone can be who they want to be IF they have the HUNGER and the DRIVE."
Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
Sbernardi wrote:

I have done the bike a lot version and a swim a lot version year . Before you comment too much on the swim being that easy, I suggest you try a 400 hrs year of swimming. It is really really tough. A lot of people won't make it and will get shoulder injuries doing a ton of free. If you are on the 7-12 hrs per week swimming plan every week of the year you will need to do a lot of kick and 4 strokes at which point logging an average of 2 min per 100m ends up being pretty tough. It is way easier to log a 800 hrs bike year than a 400 hrs swim year. I am not diminishing biking a bit over 2 hrs per day vs a bit over 1 hrs swimming per day but you can get on the bike over and over and over.

But yes once you have the swim capability and form to survive a lot of swim volume it is a fast way to get points but you gotta get up and do it over and over and over again. 1 hrs does not seem like much of a swim. Agreed. Do it 7 times per week and that's a 20km week. Literally on ST log there are only 5 athletes per week that hit that. If you do that four weeks in a row there are maybe two people on ST that get to that. Do it 12 months in a year and you get a 1000km year and that is almost no one around here (just annikanpm and Erikmulk). Spend a year like that in the pool and see how hard that is .

I do agree that this challenge is focused on people who just like to train and for whom racing is literally a side show. I am in that camp at this phase of my life. My performance goals are with my tech startup. By the time I get to training its just a big exercise entertainment lifestyle diversion where I unplug and recharge
Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
Sbernardi wrote:
So all u need to do is swim to win?

To simplify the answer to your question, just get in the friggin pool every day, 2 hrs per day!!! YOU GOT THIS WIN !!!
Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
First, thank you for putting on this challenge! Congratulations to all past participants!

May I make two requests?

Include the points distribution breakdown on the main BK page. I can’t find it.

Have a grade adjusted pace/points for biking/running.

🤙
Quote Reply
Re: Big Kahuna 12 is up! [kona220] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
By the points distribution comment do you mean between swim/bike/run/other?

As for how points are allocated, that's above my pay grade. Two guys to take that up with are snowman or devanishpaul...

Randy Christofferson(http://www.rcmioga.blogspot.com

Insert Doubt. Erase Hope. Crush Dreams.
Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
Leave it as is, for historical purposes. If you climb up a hill, go down it take make the distance.
Quote Reply
Re: Big Kahuna 12 is up! [synthetic] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
That doesn’t make sense.
Quote Reply
Re: Big Kahuna 12 is up! [kona220] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
Check out the link to Dan’s article in the thread above….he talks about his rationale for the point system….

Randy Christofferson(http://www.rcmioga.blogspot.com

Insert Doubt. Erase Hope. Crush Dreams.
Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
Thanks I don’t see the link but I’m not that invested in it. Just offering a suggestion.
Quote Reply

Prev Next