Login required to started new threads

Login required to post replies

Prev Next
Re: Better chances of KQing at IM Maryland or Louisville based off my data? [trimac2] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
Focus less on Kona Qualifying. That is a variable you can't control. Pick a course that suits your strengths and minimizes your weaknesses.
Quote Reply
Re: Better chances of KQing at IM Maryland or Louisville based off my data? [kitch] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
kitch wrote:
Focus less on Kona Qualifying. That is a variable you can't control. Pick a course that suits your strengths and minimizes your weaknesses.

I agree with you but if I'm on the bubble then I might as well choose a race I have a chance to qualify. This is sort of my question....IM Maryland is probably a better race for me but it has less Kona slots.
Quote Reply
Post deleted by jjh [ In reply to ]
Re: Better chances of KQing at IM Maryland or Louisville based off my data? [trimac2] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
Like you looking at which race is best to KQ....looking at roll down slots i would take the race with most slots and hope a lot of slow people show up race day! Let us know what race you pick and how it goes! I am aiming for IMLO next yr.

2024: Bevoman, Galveston, Alcatraz, Marble Falls, Santa Cruz
Quote Reply
Re: Better chances of KQing at IM Maryland or Louisville based off my data? [devashish_paul] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply

FYI: Ironman Texas 2015 has 75 Kona slots.

Once, I was fast. But I got over it.
Quote Reply
Re: Better chances of KQing at IM Maryland or Louisville based off my data? [hblake] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
Thanks...I'm looking at it. But I have the Boston Marathon coming up before it. I guess I could use it as a training day to practice IM pace (I wouldn't want to run it at open MP).
Quote Reply
Re: Better chances of KQing at IM Maryland or Louisville based off my data? [nebeachbum] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
nebeachbum wrote:
Like you looking at which race is best to KQ....looking at roll down slots i would take the race with most slots and hope a lot of slow people show up race day! Let us know what race you pick and how it goes! I am aiming for IMLO next yr.

That never works. Races with the most slots get the fastest racers. Those races are extremely top heavy.

Look at IMC last year. It was a Who's Who of top-AG guys chasing the extra Kona slots. I had a buddy finish 10:13 in M40-44 and finished in 28th place. A 10:13 this year would have given him 6th place. My time from last year would have been 70 spots higher in my AG this year.

Similar to what I experienced at the Syracuse 70.3 in 2012 when they threw 100 70.3 WC slots to that race. My time would have probably qualified me in 2011 or 2013. In 2012 I came in 22nd.

Similar at Tremblant this year.

Similar to what IMTX will be next year.

Favorite Gear: Dimond | Cadex | Desoto Sport | Hoka One One
Quote Reply
Re: Better chances of KQing at IM Maryland or Louisville based off my data? [GMAN19030] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
Pick a race that gives you a comparative advantage. Meaning if you a good cyclist, race a hard bike course as you'll have more opportunity to gain time. If you a good swimmer, pick a non-wetsuit, rougher water swim if possible... maybe a mass or wave start race too... so long as the other legs are not a disadvantage. If your comparatively good in heat, pick a hot race.

One thing you can do is look at your USAT results and see which races you outperformed the other top finishers (had higher scores). I find that I consistently score high on hilly bike courses and challenging runs. I seem to do well in heat comparatively too, but I still wouldn't pick a hot race intentionally.

It's really hard to predict where you best options are if your on the bubble. You just never know who shows up that day.

TrainingBible Coaching
http://www.trainingbible.com
Quote Reply
Re: Better chances of KQing at IM Maryland or Louisville based off my data? [motoguy128] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
motoguy128 wrote:
At a 4:42 HIM, unless you get a lot stronger going longer, you're on the outside looking in. If I was to give KQ for 35-39 a minimum 70.3 qualifying time, it would be around 4:30 on a faster course. You'll need a lot of luck if your not under 10 hours at Louisville. I'm don't know the Maryland course and it's the first year and only 30 slots, so it's a huge gamble in my mind. I would want to be closer to 9:50 to be "safe" at Louisville. 4th through 6th were only 3 minutes apart last year... not that any of them probably knew that since it's a rolling start. If you're on the bubble, I think if your a strong swimmer, a rolling start is much better. IF your a strong runner, it's worse....you want a wave or mass start so can literally run them down. That's easier than chasing a clock if you only 2-4 minutes apart.

9:50 probably isn't gonna cut it at IM Lou.

A friend this year in 35-39 just went 9:38, finished in 6th (22nd overall) and did not get a slot.

The pointy end is *very* sharp.

--
I ride Felt.
Quote Reply
Re: Better chances of KQing at IM Maryland or Louisville based off my data? [motoguy128] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
so to summarize:
1. pick a race that seem to match with talents
2. pray super fast people don't show up
3. race as fast as your body can go and cross fingers

Sound about right? Any other advice? I will take it!

2024: Bevoman, Galveston, Alcatraz, Marble Falls, Santa Cruz
Last edited by: nebeachbum: Aug 26, 14 11:44
Quote Reply
Re: Better chances of KQing at IM Maryland or Louisville based off my data? [coredump] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
I saw that - tough luck. The time would have been top 3 in any other age group. And 7th place was 15:00 or so back so there was a pretty clear cut line.
Quote Reply
Re: Better chances of KQing at IM Maryland or Louisville based off my data? [kitch] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
THAT ------>
kitch wrote:
Quote Reply

Prev Next