Login required to started new threads

Login required to post replies

Better bike storage - aero
Quote | Reply
I have my Felt S22 reasonably budget tricked out - Flo 60 front, aerojacket rear, GP4ls with latex, Dark Speed Works bag behind the stem, BTA bottle. I even got the fancy Silca extender when I needed a new one up front.

My last frontier is my behind the seat bag. I haven’t Chung tested it, but I assume there is some minimal cost there. I keep a tube/ CO2/ crack pipe/ tire levers (I know, I know) because I feel that since I only race like 5 times per year I will finish them all.

I don’t see many seat bags on the fancy bikes at the 70.3s or Nationals. Would I be better off finding something that attaches to the bottle bosses on my seattube and fills in the bottom of that triangle? Marginal gains from being a legal fairing?

If so, what companies might make such a thing? I saw the thread where the guy made his own like full triangle bag, but I’d likely rather just buy something.

Aaron Bales
Lansing Triathlon Team
Quote Reply
Re: Better bike storage - aero [MI_Mumps] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
I suppose there is something like this that would likely be better than what I have, but I'd have to buy the behind the seat bottle thing as well, so that adds up.

Aaron Bales
Lansing Triathlon Team
Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
why not just do a bottle cage bts and add a cage pod. https://www.xlab-usa.com/mini-cage-pod.html

2019 T-Rex Tri Series
Last edited by: mknight84: Aug 17, 18 8:17
Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
If you can fit your flat kit into a bottle and put it behind your seat (high and close) chances are it will be aero neutral at worst and might actually be aero positive.
Quote Reply
Re: Better bike storage - aero [GreenPlease] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
Quote Reply
Re: Better bike storage - aero [mknight84] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
Good stuff - very helpful! I'm a split-nose guy, but I assume either way it would be better than the bulky bag I'm using. Taping that canister in their cheapest Delta 105 cage sounds pretty smart.

This also looks like it would be better than what I have. I suppose if it is good enough for a "Ceverlo" it would work for me.

Aaron Bales
Lansing Triathlon Team
Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
I fit two bontrager xxxl tubes, and a c02 w chuck, in the cavity under the saddle, held in with Velcro straps. I'm pretty sure it is the most aero solution you could get, is certainly the lightest (short of putting this stuff in the jersey).
Quote Reply
Re: Better bike storage - aero [davetallo] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
I suppose stuffing that cavity with contraband is totally legit.

Do you put it in a stuff sack or ziploc or something? Certainly an appealing idea. Have a loose hex wrench or two, etc.

Aaron Bales
Lansing Triathlon Team
Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
MI_Mumps wrote:
I suppose stuffing that cavity with contraband is totally legit.

Do you put it in a stuff sack or ziploc or something? Certainly an appealing idea. Have a loose hex wrench or two, etc.

I wrap each of the tubes in saran wrap, and attach them with Velcro straps individually to the seat rails ... this compresses them a little bit, and makes them easier to get at if I need them.

The c02 + chuck is also Velcro strapped to the seat rails, where they converge near the nose.

A tire lever is duct taped to a 5mm hex key, and gets hidden inside the cavity of the aero extension, where it exits beneath the armrest.

All invisible!
Quote Reply