Login required to started new threads

Login required to post replies

Prev Next
Best way for spouse to track my location while I'm riding?
Quote | Reply
Hey guys,

Looking for a way for my wife to track my progress/location while I'm out riding so she will know when I'm heading home, etc. I'm using a Garmin Edge 500 but I have an iPhone 5S with a data plan. Is there a good iPhone app that will allow my wife to see my location via GPS while I'm riding? Thanks.
Quote Reply
Re: Best way for spouse to track my location while I'm riding? [triguy86] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
Road ID's ECrumb app works well. It will also alert 3 people of your choosing of your last known location if you are stationary for more than a certain amount of time and you aren't able to hit the button to cancel the alert.

"Just don’t abandon everything you’ve ever learned because of something someone said on the internet." - Eric McGinnis
Quote Reply
Re: Best way for spouse to track my location while I'm riding? [ScottWrigleyFit] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
ScottWrigleyFit wrote:
Road ID's ECrumb app works well. It will also alert 3 people of your choosing of your last known location if you are stationary for more than a certain amount of time and you aren't able to hit the button to cancel the alert.

this ^^^
Quote Reply
Re: Best way for spouse to track my location while I'm riding? [triguy86] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
Have her use the Find my phone app on your apple.

Dan Kennison

facebook: @triPremierBike
http://www.PremierBike.com
http://www.PositionOneSports.com
Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
Endomondo has live tracking for free (I think) https://www.endomondo.com/features
You can also ask your wife to give you a Edge 510 (or a 920/Fenix) with live tracking :)
Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
There are a few apps, if you go a lot of places without cell service a spot tracker would be the way to go. No cell needed, works on satellite and sends data to a webpage.

$150 per year plus the actual doodad.

If it was for occasional use, then an app would probably suit your needs.
Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
triguy86 wrote:
Hey guys,

Looking for a way for my wife to track my progress/location while I'm out riding so she will know when I'm heading home, etc. I'm using a Garmin Edge 500 but I have an iPhone 5S with a data plan. Is there a good iPhone app that will allow my wife to see my location via GPS while I'm riding? Thanks.

Are we witnessing the complete emasculation of a man?
Last edited by: Trev: Mar 17, 15 10:32
Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
There's also the Life 360 app, you can follow people that way. It's not pinpoint specific and requires coverage.

And ignore douchiness above. ^^ Funny how people comment on other's lives with no clue about why you may want to do this. I can think of more than a few solid reasons.
Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
Ecrumb is wonderful as long as you are an area that has cell service. Here in the Sierras that can be spotty. It does eat iPhone battery but gives good peace of mind and we use it everyday. There is also an excellent feature that sends an automatic alert if you don't move (laying in a ditch somewhere) for a given length of time. Thank you, Road ID!
Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
It won't help you with your 500 but the Garmin 510 (and others) syncs with your phone via Bluetooth and the Garmin Connect app's Livetrack feature allows easy real time sharing of location, speed, etc. If you are looking for an excuse to upgrade, Livetrack and automatic ride uploading are nice features.
Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
https://www.glympse.com/

Works very well and is available on all 3 platforms (iOS, Android, WP).
Quote Reply
Re: Best way for spouse to track my location while I'm riding? [Trev] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
It's really just so she can look on her phone and know that I'm still safe because I ride by myself quite a bit in a busy area.
Quote Reply
Re: Best way for spouse to track my location while I'm riding? [Trev] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
Quote:

The purpose of livetrack is to ensure that lunch or dinner is ready and on the table when you get back from a ride ;-)

In all serious, my wife and I have gotten casual enough about our weekend routines that there are certainly times where it would be possible for her to not know for sure if I was planning on being gone 2 hours or 5 hours and sometimes she might not even be sure what time I left so livetrack is a very easy way to deal with that kind of stuff. She rarely looks at it but has told me that when she feels the need, she is glad it is available.
Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
Trev wrote:
triguy86 wrote:
Hey guys,

It's better than the alternative that existed when I had young children. Wife could just yell down into the basement as I rode the trainer.
Quote Reply
Re: Best way for spouse to track my location while I'm riding? [STP] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
The only issue is that if you ride in areas where cell signal gets dropped, it kills the tracking. This caused more concern than it solved.

/kj

http://kjmcawesome.tumblr.com/
Quote Reply
Re: Best way for spouse to track my location while I'm riding? [ScottWrigleyFit] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
x3 - I use it for solo long rides so my wife knows I'm still ok
Quote Reply
Re: Best way for spouse to track my location while I'm riding? [lsousa] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
After some googling I've also found this one: http://locatoweb.com/ Not free though, but looks nice.
Quote Reply
Re: Best way for spouse to track my location while I'm riding? [kjmcawesome] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
The first time I used livetrack was one of my first rides back from an accident. I stopped for coffee and got a call within minutes from my wife checking to see why I stopped moving. . . . I don't think until then she really understood there was a social aspect to my Saturday "training" rides. She knows where the coffee shops are now so hopefully I'll never crash and need help in those locations since if she sees I'm not moving, she'll just assume I am drinking coffee, eating pastries and chatting.
Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
I ride MTB at night often, and often solo, so my wife and I needed a way to address this problem. Did my homework, went to download the app to my phone, and just on a lark decided to read the T's & C's of the app. Holy christ, they seriously expect me to AGREE to allow them to take control of my phone, place calls and emails and text messages without my knowledge, have full access to all data on my phone, etc., because they don't expect me to read it?

Not saying all of these have the same issue. Just saying: READ the T's & C's. You're signing your identity away with every "Accept" you click.

This message has been approved by Edward Snowden.
Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
Does your wife have an iphone also? If so, just use the Find My Friends app from Apple.
Quote Reply
Re: Best way for spouse to track my location while I'm riding? [lordhong] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
lordhong wrote:
https://www.glympse.com/

Works very well and is available on all 3 platforms (iOS, Android, WP).

+1

Things happen, crashes happen, peace of mind, and yes - having food ready when you pull in the driveway isn't so bad, either
Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
If you both have iPhones, the 'Find Friends' app is built in. That's what I do when I ride, so that my wife can see i'm still moving.
Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
triguy86 wrote:
Hey guys,

Give her your girlfriend's phone number. That way she can call her anytime she wants to know where you are. :-)

"It doesn't get any easier, you just get faster" - Greg LeMond
Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
triguy86 wrote:
It's really just so she can look on her phone and know that I'm still safe because I ride by myself quite a bit in a busy area.

Be careful with that one. Take an unexpected break, or get a few flats, and expect a panicked call. One time I had a fall and needed a few stitches. The hospital was only three miles away, so I decided to ride there. My girlfriend was tracking me, and had quite a scary moment seeing my location as being at the hospital, when really it was next to nothing.
Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
I use the live track through my garmin watch and head unit. Works great!
Quote Reply

Prev Next