Login required to started new threads

Login required to post replies

Best video for improved performance
Quote | Reply
I don't have any training videos, except for the Total immersion swimming video.

Which dvd has made the biggest impact on your race results?
I'm looking for a video on training, racing, swimming, biking, or just a documentary on what the top athletes do. I'd like to buy two or three.

I'm not looking for a cheesy motivational movie that hit the big screen. I'm looking for a way to improve technique or my approach to training, or just simply to learn more about how to get faster (besides the obvious, run more, bike more, and swim more).

Any advice would be really appreciated.
Quote Reply
Re: Best video for improved performance [trirookie] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
Any DVD that will tell you to stop watching movies, and hire a coach will help :).

-Brian
Quote Reply
Re: Best video for improved performance [brburns] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
That sounds like great advice. Do you have an extra $500 laying around to pay for one for me. A professionally formulated schedule would also be great.

Since I don't have an extra $500, I figured I might want to get a good video for $20. If you know of a world class coach that will take me under his wing for $20, I'm all ears.

Anyone know of any good videos?
Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
There are lots of good books to read about training.
The triathlete's training bible
Going Long
Daniels' Running Formula
Running Lore

If you are a rookie/beginner then doing what top athletes do is NOT what you need to do. it takes years of training to train the way top athletes do. Doing the 'obvious', run ,bike, swim more, i.e. slowly build your training load over the months/years will get you a long way. Use common sense, don't try and do too much and slowly build up your volume. it's not rocket science.
if you are not a swimmer then the one place I would spend money is swim coaching. Even a few lessons can make a big difference as swimming is so technique dependent.
Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
Sorry for the snappy reply, and I'll try to be more helpful this time. I'm short on cash as well, and am working with a new coach. He's VERY cheap, and will give you a free trial period to see if things work out. You can PM me if you're interested, and I'll give you his information.

If this is still too much for you, I would recomend a book, and not a movie; Triathlete's Training Bible by Joe Friel. It will give you everything you need to know about building your own plan, and some help on technique too.

Good luck,
Brian
Quote Reply
Re: Best video for improved performance [nickc] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
I should have changed my title to this thread. I've done several triathlons, and I've already read those two Friel books, as well as several others. I'm looking for a great video so that I can multitask when I'm on the trainer. Anything that would improve swim or bike technique, would increase my knowledge of what the pros do to get faster, or would enlighten me about how to improve my training schedule would be great.

I also wouldn't mind getting some videos of ironman footage without the drama stories. I'm looking for anything that would give me an edge without taking any extra time since I'm already on the trainer.
Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
Get "a Sunday in Hell" the story of the 1976(?) Paris Roubaix. Just an incredible documentary and for months afterwards you'll hear the gregorian chanting soundtrack on every ride you do.

"Are you sure we're going fast enough?" - Emil Zatopek
Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
             "Jack Daniels - The Art and Science of Running"
http://www.mcmillanrunning.com/danielsdvd.htm
Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
Check out Endurancefilms.com - they have a DVD called the Science of Triathlon that is pretty good, and some other good DVDs.
Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
If you want to imporve your swimming, book an hour lesson with a swim coach. 1 on 1. It shoudn't cost you that much, and you'll get a hell of a lot more out of it than you will from any swimming book or video. If the coach offers it, get him or her to tape you swimming - now THERE'S a video you want to see! But more importantly, you want to review it with your coach so (s)he can point out what you're doing wrong and how to correct it. Practice for a while and then book a follow-up session. Repeat as necessary/affordable.

It's the best money you'll ever spend on your swimming.

<If you're gonna be dumb, you gotta be tough>
Get Fitter!
Proud member of the Smartasscrew, MONSTER CLUB
Get your FIX today?
Quote Reply