Login required to started new threads

Login required to post replies

Best tire spoons ??
Quote | Reply
Hi fellows,

I put most of my tires on by hand; sometimes at the end I need a little help. I broke a pair of plastic one's in my garage putting on a pair of Continental Gatorskin Hardshells. It scared me, if I was on the road I may have been stranded!!

What are you fellows recommending for high quality tire spoons these days? There is so much junk available in the marketplace.

Thank you in advance,

GG
Quote Reply
Re: Best tire spoons ?? [Gatineau Gator] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
For most uses I went to Pedro's levers.
Seem to.hold up well.

For the Gatorskins on the commuter MTB... I had to go to an 8" long brutal steel lever. The tyre was / is a total and utter biatch. I found out the hard way on the way in to work one day.
But you've got to be careful even with Alu rims as you can damage them. Total no-no for carbon rims.

(I actually started carrying a can of Pit Stop as the 1st fix rather than trying to change roadside. )
Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
My post.

This is literally the best in my opinion. The key feature - it's NOT just a tire lever with a 'handle'.

It has a special 'mounting' side that is totally different than any tire lever and greatly speeds mounting.

Again - if you just treat this like a 'lever with a big handle', you are doing it totally wrong with this lever. The critiques by people who don't like this are almost invariably from people who think this is just a lever with a special handle, which is incorrect.
Last edited by: lightheir: Mar 27, 21 6:47
Quote Reply
Re: Best tire spoons ?? [lightheir] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
I make my own out of carbin fiber pc on my 3d printer: https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=bI3FXVsG10w
Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
Different strokes, different folks.

This is my least favorite tire lever I have ever owned and yes I’m using it properly.

Pedros work and are cheap.

Koolstop Tire Jack for the garage
Quote Reply
Re: Best tire spoons ?? [iamuwere] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
iamuwere wrote:

This is my least favorite tire lever I have ever owned and yes I’m using it properly.

What don’t you like about it? Honestly curious
Quote Reply
Re: Best tire spoons ?? [iamuwere] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
iamuwere wrote:

I love this as well, works great on HED Jets when needed. I'm not sure if it is safe for full carbon rims though.
Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
+1 on the Crank Brothers lever - works great for me
Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
lightheir wrote:
My post.

This is literally the best in my opinion. The key feature - it's NOT just a tire lever with a 'handle'.

It has a special 'mounting' side that is totally different than any tire lever and greatly speeds mounting.

Again - if you just treat this like a 'lever with a big handle', you are doing it totally wrong with this lever. The critiques by people who don't like this are almost invariably from people who think this is just a lever with a special handle, which is incorrect.
I use it exclusively as you've described: a tire lever with a handle. And I LOVE it. I'll never use another lever.

I haven't found tires that I have trouble mounting yet... so I don't even know how the other side would be used, nor do I care. As far as getting tires off the wheels fast and easy, the Crankbros lever is phenomenal.

Dr. Alex Harrison | Founder & CEO | Sport Physiology & Performance PhD
-------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------
📱 Check out our app → Saturday: Pro Fuel & Hydration, a performance nutrition coach in your pocket.
Join us on YouTube → Saturday Morning | Ride & Run Faster and our growing Saturday User Hub
Quote Reply
Re: Best tire spoons ?? [DrAlexHarrison] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
Hi, I notice the Crank Bros Lever comes as a single lever. Is one lever all you need to put on or take off a tire?

https://www.amazon.ca/Crank-Brothers-Speedier-Lever-Black/dp/B008UY1MXW/ref=sr_1_1?dchild=1&keywords=Crank+Brothers+lever&qid=1616940409&sr=8-1

Thanks
Last edited by: Gatineau Gator: Mar 28, 21 7:08
Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
Gatineau Gator wrote:
Hi, I notice the Crank Bros Lever comes as a single lever. Is one lever all you need to put on or take off a tire?

https://www.amazon.ca/Crank-Brothers-Speedier-Lever-Black/dp/B008UY1MXW/ref=sr_1_1?dchild=1&keywords=Crank+Brothers+lever&qid=1616940409&sr=8-1

Thanks

Yep. Use the 'normal' lever side to remove the tire as normal, and then use the special 'mount' side which sits on the rim of the tire to mount it by sliding the lever along the rim all the way around. Youtube has a few helpful videos to see what I'm talking about with the mount.
Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
Gatineau Gator wrote:
Thanks
Yep, and it's easier and faster than any 2 of my best other levers.

Dr. Alex Harrison | Founder & CEO | Sport Physiology & Performance PhD
-------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------
📱 Check out our app → Saturday: Pro Fuel & Hydration, a performance nutrition coach in your pocket.
Join us on YouTube → Saturday Morning | Ride & Run Faster and our growing Saturday User Hub
Quote Reply
Re: Best tire spoons ?? [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
Got a flat just as I arrived home yesterday, so I will try out these new Parktool TL-l.2 levers, I just picked up at mec.ca

https://www.youtube.com/...;ab_channel=ParkTool

Looks like fun :)

GG

Quote Reply