Login required to started new threads

Login required to post replies

Best tire for 404 Clinchers (I know, I'm a dork)
Quote | Reply
I'll start by saying 404 clinchers are a silly concept, blah blah blah.

Now that that is out of the way: what are the best tires for secure mounting, relatively easy removal in case of flats etc etc.

I think there was a thread about Conti 3000 being extraordinarly tight on 404 and therefore difficult to change on the fly. Suggestions?

Thanks.
Quote Reply
Re: Best tire for 404 Clinchers (I know, I'm a dork) [tripoet] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
I use Tufo Tubular clinchers on my 404's. Once streatched are very easy to change, run at high pressure and get far fewer flats that clinchers.

I know that the clincher rims with the Tufos are heavier than a tubular but I like the ease of changing a tire and that I can use the tires after a race on my training rims. By using only one type of rim I can race on brand new tires, then move them to the training rims to train on slightly used tires and finish them off on the wind trainer in winter.
Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
michelin pro race or ironman edition.

i love them...great wheels.

"Anyone can work hard when they want to; Champions do it when they don't."
Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
            404 clinchers are great! I ride them full time (3 years) and just love them. You couldn't ride tubulars full time, the tires are too expensive and the rims too delicate. I don't care what the tubular guys say, 404 clinchers rock! That said I use Verdsteins, they wear like iron, don't get flats ( and this is on Long Island with the worst roads I've ever seen) and are easy on and off ( no tools) I ride at 120psi, anything higher just ruins your ride with no real benefit.

---------------------------
''Sweeney - you can both crush your AG *and* cruise in dead last!! 😂 '' Murphy's Law
Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
michelin pro race

"It´s not whether you get knocked down, it´s whether you get up." ... Vince Lombardi
Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
I have been riding on the Michelin Pro Race clinchers and They are a great tire. Great road feel for a clincher and they are easy on/off on most rims.

What IS the deal with Conti clinchers? Great tires, but they are absolutly brutal, to get on/off certain rims.

Steve Fleck @stevefleck | Blog
Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
Tufo Tubular Clinchers here also.....I like the Jet Special, and others prefer the S33. There is also a very light version if you don't mind the $$$.

That's about as secure a tire as you can get---and you can safely (slowly) ride it flat without worrying about ruining your wheel or having the tire dismount, or use the sealant. High pressures...use to train and race.
Quote Reply