Login required to started new threads

Login required to post replies

Best time to sell TT bike?
Quote | Reply
Does anyone have advice regarding the best time of year to sell a used TT bike and get the best price for it? I've had mine listed on a few sites for over a month with no bites (asking ~60% of MSRP or best offer for a 2008 bike in very good condition). I'm not sure if I'm asking too much, or if it's too early in the season for people to be thinking about this yet (I'm in PA - race season doesn't start to pick up til mid-May in the northeast). I'd like to sell sooner rather than later, but don't want to sell it short if used-bike business tends to pick up later in the spring/summer...

Also, if anyone has any recommendations for selling besides Craigslist, roadbikereview.com and here, I'd love to hear them.

Thanks!
Quote Reply
Re: Best time to sell TT bike? [swimbikerun723] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
Bikes sell year round. But early spring (like RIGHT NOW) is by far the best time to sell them.

If you aren't getting bites, I would sugest one of the following issues.

1) Your ad is too generic or smells like a scam.

2) Your pictures are not good enough.

3) (most likely) You have it priced too high

Best of luck!

Austin Hardy -

Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
I'll second the pictures. Photos make or break the ad. I just bought at 2008 K-Factor off eBay that's 105/Ultegra equipped for $500 because the guy had shitty photos and no one was willing to bid.

http://aclockworkmango.com
Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
Try thebiketraderonline.com or localbiketrader.com
Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
depends on the bike.... 40% off MRSP isn't that good of a deal for some bikes (especially 4 year old ones)
Quote Reply
Re: Best time to sell TT bike? [btmoney] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
btmoney wrote:
depends on the bike.... 40% off MRSP isn't that good of a deal for some bikes (especially 4 year old ones)

this, x2

For instance, this 2008 scott plasma pro can be had for 40% off MSRP, but I get the warranty and it's never been used:
http://www.racycles.com/...,565,565&pid=119

But in a more general sense, it really depends on the bike.

Has the company released an updated model? - If the model is no longer even offered, then it's a big price drop I think. For instance, a 2008 Felt DA retailed at $10,000. However, I could now get a similar package for about $5000 because that frameset is now pretty outdated and is rolled down to their second tier

How has the companies pricing changed on their models? - Cervelo's pricing has come down quite a bit on their P3 and the spec might actually be better. There are a lot of people who threw down $4000-5000 to have P3s with carbon cockpits, well Cervelo now offers the P3 with a carbon cockpit and Ultegra for $3300.

Is msrp for that bike a good comparison of what is the actual price? Some companies are notorious for putting higher MSRPs than is maybe realistic of what the shop is willing to move them for. I know my local shop sells lower than MSRP for Felts and Jamis, as opposed to Cervelo, which is rarely discounted. It's partly due to dealer pricing and also due to contracts and popularity.

Here should be the very minimum any person who wants to sell something does. Type the item in to google, if it comes up cheaper on a legit site brand new in the first couple of pages, sell it for less.
Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
As an avid used bike buyer, 99% of people are listing bikes for way too much. They just ain't worth much used. Worse than cars. I got a new bike that was just old stock for about 60% off from a lbs this last year.
Quote Reply
Re: Best time to sell TT bike? [vagus] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
Tri (and most road) bikes are like golf clubs have been for the last 10 years or so in that each new generation has pushed technology to the limit, which allows for the "trickle down" effect for their lower models. This puts "obsolete" models, especially used ones, in the bargain bin. Hell, you can buy a 2012 Giant Trinity Composite 2 for $2,200 MSRP and be more aero than all but a couple bikes. Slap a real aero bar on there and you have yourself a bike that beats the crap out of anything made before 2009.

Clearly I have no data to back this up, but I don't care.
Quote Reply
Re: Best time to sell TT bike? [btmoney] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
Thanks everyone! The input/thoughts are much appreciated.
Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
Probably now. Racing season is approaching, or here depending on where you are.

Depends on the bike, and condition of the components. Really good condition - maybe 60%. Thats pushing it though, otherwise 40 or 50%.

There is a thread on here about bike picture rules or something, I would take a look at it if I were you!
Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
Find a simliar bike and see what its selling for??

http://stuartwalpole.blogspot.com/
Quote Reply
Re: Best time to sell TT bike? [stuartaus] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
stuartaus wrote:
Find a simliar bike and see what its selling for??

Search through completed ads on eBay. See what your bike has gone for in the past. Remember that "new" is worth 20% more than "used - good condition". Also, weight more recent results more heavily than old results. Make sure that the bike on eBay doesn't have Zipps and VukaAero bars.
Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
I used to think if you were a seller right about now would be a great time to sell a bike, new people getting an itch to do a triathlon this summer, but I watch ebay constantly and I can't really tell anymore. You'd think after the fall, that would the worst time, because everyone probably is trying to dump their bike to get a new one for the next year.

I'd still say right now is probably a good time, to be honest. Spring, or late spring.

And I agree with the other poster, the pricing is the most important issue and like houses most buyers who are willing to part with dough are savy. Most buyers can research what ending auction price is in that range for that bike. If you are way out of line, it won't sell.

I can tell immediately when a seller is in that range and appreciate them recognizing that and not wasting everyone's time. Many don't research the prices of their own bikes. And want to go by "how much they want to get out of the sale," due to what they bought it for.

And I see sellers all the time, who are just insane, and I regularly see for example an old Litespeed Blade, 2001, with ultegra and some standard Mavic training wheels with its seller wanting 1800 to 2200 for it. Ain't going to probably happen. He can try, but good luck.

And that bike will sit there on ebay for 6 months until the seller pulls it down. Doesn't make any difference they bought it for 3500 retail in 2001, or they spent 1500 in components.
Last edited by: mistergomez: Apr 3, 12 21:42
Quote Reply
Re: Best time to sell TT bike? [dashmutton] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
dashmutton wrote:
stuartaus wrote:
Make sure that the bike on eBay doesn't have Zipps and VukaAero bars.

Why?

==================
Ditch the carbage - Go keto!
Quote Reply
Re: Best time to sell TT bike? [dindu] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
because that wouldn't be a comparable bike if you're trying to gauge what to price yours at if yours doesn't have zipp wheels or vukas...
Quote Reply