Login required to started new threads

Login required to post replies

Best post race fast food?
Quote | Reply
Like most of us, I squeeze in my workouts whenever possible, and that often means eating lunch out. I try to avoid fatty foods (ie: Hardees thickburger) and was wondering if any of you have suggestions as to what would be the best post workout fast food. Not only in terms of taste but in health and replenishment value. I usually opt for a bean burrito and taco at Taco Bell and hope it's not negating the benefits I just received from the workout.
Quote Reply
Re: Best post race fast food? [trifan] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
Subway, chicken breast sandwich.

~Matt
Quote Reply
Wendy's chili, extra fingers* [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply

Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
Krispy Kreme

------------------------------------------------------------
Any run that doesn't include pooping in someone's front yard is a win.
Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
Chipotle... Best "fast food" you can get... I think it is actually a GOOD post workout meal.

Jamba Juice too. Although I guess it isn't technically "Fast food," it is fast and you can get a big enough one to have it be a meal...

"Non est ad astra mollis e terris via." - Seneca | rappstar.com | FB - Rappstar Racing | IG - @jordanrapp
Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
extra fingers aside, there's a wendy's across the street from my office and i've made do with their grilled chicken sandwich, hold the sauce, and side salad instead of fries...
Quote Reply
Re: Best post race fast food? [Rappstar] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
Baja Fresh (or equivalent).

Quote | Reply
Hardees big chicken breast sandwhich (for if your not man enough for a real burger.) Arbie's has some other decent stuff.

Not a big fan of subway, I also tend to steer clear of Long John Silvers, Burger King, McDonalds, and Taco Bell.
Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
I don't really know... but I suspect if you got the nutritional information on a Taco Bell burrito it might be a little scary!
Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
Just a quick note on bean burritos at taco bell. They are not really BEANS. They are a powdered substitute.
Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
Fazoli's is cheap, usually pretty edible, gives you a nice big carb hit, and you do okay nutritionally if you avoid the alfredo sauce items and go easy on the cheese.

Except for Schlotzky's, (home of the heart attack bread) the deli and sandwich places are generally pretty decent nutritionally as long as you skip the mayo and fattier meats, and skip or go light on the cheese. However, I'm not a big fan of Subway since they danr near killed me back in the 90s.
Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
The attached link has the nutritional information on the bean burrito... does not look all that bad:

http://www.nutritiondata.com/facts-001-02s04z1.html
Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
The expert in this matter would be any member of foodsluts. My favorite is a chicken/veggie rice bowl at a Japanese fast foot restaurant.

Re: Best post race fast food? [last tri in 83] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
"The expert in this matter would be any member of foodsluts."

Definitely the best tri-club ever.
Personally, I prefer a nice cheese pizza with carry-out chinese chicken and brocoli or mooshu pork piled high.
Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
I remember hitting the In-and-out Burger after Wildflower one year - huge line of triathletes. Hard to beat!
Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
Here's what we do out West-

1) Post race it is always In-n-Out Burger for the works. Whether you're first, 101st, or 1001st you deserve a cheeseburger with onion rings and a shake. We know where all of 'em are up and down 101, 580, and 80.

2) Training- that's a different story. I have to go with Jamba on this one, especially since you can get a lower sugar, higher protein option these days. Or, any chicken, rice, bean burrito or soft taco from any ACTUAL TAQUERIA! (Drink lots of water though if you opt for the burrito.)

DO NOT UNDER ANY CIRCUMSTANCES EVER DARK THE DOOR OF A TACO SMELL (BELL) FOR ANY REASON (if you live anywhere in the Western USA). Otherwise, shame on you and you eat what you deserve if you go there.

Mr. Uncaptured External Costs

Fossil carbon is planetary poison.
Quote Reply
Re: Best post race fast food? [Rappstar] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
I'll vote for chipotle as well. Hard to believe they're owned by McDonald's.

http://www.bauertrinews.com/...9&title=Chipotle

Matt Bauer
Bauer Tri News
http://www.bauertrinews.com
Quote Reply
Re: Best post race fast food? [Bauer] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
Unfortunately Chipotles aren't around Tennessee that I know of. The choices are pretty much the major chains: Taco Bell, McDs, BK, Subway, Blimpie, Arby's. I guess I should have stressed this is for after an everyday workout. Post race I pretty much eat whatever I want, guilt free. And Krispy Kremes are usually part of that equation.

I do try to get wraps, turkey sandwiches etc. for the most part and try (emphasis on TRY) to avoid burgers and fries.

Lot of good suggestions here though.
Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
Sushi and watermellon! Sushi is cold so it's refreshing. The fish is low fat protein and the rice replenishes your carbo stores. The wasabi and ginger more than entertain your taste buds. The watermellon is cold, crunchy, sweet and rehydrates in the bargain. It's all quick, easy, finger food. That's my secret. Keep in to yourself.

Frank
Quote Reply
Re: Best post race fast food? [Frank13] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
wendys baked potato, side salad, grilled chicken sandwich

maybe i'm being closed minded but sushi and watermellon at a fast food restaurant? if that exists i'm not sure i'd ever attempt to consume it.

"The men who try to do something and fail are infinitely better than those who try to do nothing and succeed" - Lloyd Jones

http://www.2BePro.org
Quote Reply
Re: Best post race fast food? [cornellrdr] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
Expand your mind! A "fast food" restaurant doesn't have to be a chain restaurant. Lots of small Japanese grocery stores, gourmet shops or local suchi places are more of what I had in mind.

Frank
Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
Post-workout? No such thing. OK just kidding. I have to admit I will stop at Subway for a Roasted chicken sub on occasion, or, even worse, McD's for 2 cheeseburgers (yep those little flimsy ones) and a larger milk. Pretty harmless in terms of fast food. I too workout at lunch, but try to bring my lunch most days (w/w pita with tuna, mozza, spinach, peppers or other veg, avocado).

Post race? yes, now we're talking... come in to my world... after a big ("A") race, I think it is important to replenish not only the body but the SOUL. I would recommend anything you want. My fast-food preferences include: Wendy's double bacon cheeseburger, biggie fries and biggie frosty. Burger Kind double whopper with cheese and a chocolate milkshake.

Funny, I tend to avoid the fast food outlets, and opt for the mom&pop/greasy diners instead. Best post race meals I've had have been post Spokane Troika 1/2IMs: 2001 it was this dinky buger & fries joint on the hwy not far from the Grand Coulee dam, mayo on everything. Amazing. Orgasmic. 2002: Mexican at some joint in Spokane, ordered the three chicken echilada plate... ate until my stretch pants would give no more. Hubby had to roll me outta there. Oh yeah baby, just getting excited thinking about it...mmmm...

------------------------
"How bad could it be?" - SimpleS
Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
Beer... its not just for breakfast anymore.

----------

Quote Reply
Re: Best post race fast food? [swmrdrn] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
We've got Chipotle here, but the place to go in Atlanta post training is defintely Willy's. Best damn burrito's in town, although Qboda is a close second.
Quote Reply
Re: Best post race fast food? [SinkCrashBonk] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
In Austin, Dallas or College Station check out Free Birds! Imagine Chipotle with 3x the choice of ingredients. 3 or 4 sizes to choose from.
Quote Reply