Login required to started new threads

Login required to post replies

Best place to get compact crank chain rings?
Quote | Reply
Okay, I am setting up these new bikes to be able to swap PC's around. Based on great inputs from Chad, this is what I am looking to do.

Get the BB's with square spindles. I then get square spindle spider adapters from PC and put on each bike with compact chain rings. This way it is a quick and easy process to swap different type of PC's to each bike based on different needs.

So, any inputs as to the best type of compact chain rings to buy since I will not be buying any kit since I will need no crank arms since they are all too short for me. I will be going with 200 cranks, assuming Ves says its okay.

Thanks

Dave

Dave Campbell | Facebook | @DaveECampbell | h2ofun@h2ofun.net

Boom Nutrition code 19F4Y3 $5 off 24 pack box | Bionic Runner | PowerCranks | Velotron | Spruzzamist

Lions don't lose sleep worrying about the sheep
Quote Reply
Re: Best place to get compact crank chain rings? [h2ofun] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
Check out these guys. Delivered within a few days. Assume you mean 110 bolt pattern? You can purchase the Stronglight chain rings separate from the cranks. Just search on the site a bit.

http://www.xxcycle.com/...=detail&REF=2950
Quote Reply
Re: Best place to get compact crank chain rings? [cerveloguy] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
Interesting. For 55 bucks, they have this in 110

110 CT2 1° Stronglight
Extra light !
These chainrings, made from 7075 T6, feature: CT˛ technology
(CERAMIC top layer impregnated with TEFLON®)

Adding CERAMIC ensures a harder surface, longer life, resistance to scratching and the TEFLON® reduces the chain’s friction coefficient by over 80% and makes for diminished noise factor, lower over all friction, less need for lubrication and optimized indexation between chain rings.
These chain rings combine the following features resistance / light weight / precision / efficiency / easy to use.

technic

Outer chainring available in: 48/50/51/52/53 teeth 76 grs
Inner chainring available in: 34/36/38/39/40/42 teeth 35grs
Available in the following diameters:

- 130 mm (Shimano®)
- 135 mm (Campagnolo® )
- 110 mm (Compact Concept)
Optimum CSA indexation + CT˛ concept

Colors : Black

STRONGLIGHT strongly advises (for best results in shifting) the use of these chain rings in the following available sets:
51/39-52/39-52/42-53/39 : Shimano® and Campagnolo® compatible
48/34-50/36-50/34 : compact concept 110 mm compatible US$55.39

So, you can get compact in 3 different combos, 48/34 or 50/36 or 50/34.. So, I had only heard of 50/34. So, who has compact, what setup are you using of these 3 choices, and why did you pick the setup you did?

Dave

Boom Nutrition code 19F4Y3 $5 off 24 pack box | Bionic Runner | PowerCranks | Velotron | Spruzzamist

Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
I'm using 50/34 but did have a 50/36. I live in a hill area but so decided on the 34.

Dev Paul on ST uses a 48/34 on his tri bike and he is one very fast bike stud at the AG/elite level.
Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
Okay, whats the difference between the 1 degree and 2 degree?

110 CT2 2° Stronglight
Extra light !
These chainrings, made from 7075 T6, feature: CT˛ technology
(CERAMIC top layer impregnated with TEFLON®)

Adding CERAMIC ensures a harder surface, longer life, resistance to scratching and the TEFLON® reduces the chain’s friction coefficient by over 80% and makes for diminished noise factor, lower over all friction, less need for lubrication and optimized indexation between chain rings.
These chain rings combine the following features resistance / light weight / precision / efficiency / easy to use.

technic

Outer chainring available in: 48/50/51/52/53 teeth 76 grs
Inner chainring available in: 34/36/38/39/40/42 teeth 35grs
Available in the following diameters:

- 130 mm (Shimano®)
- 135 mm (Campagnolo® )
- 110 mm (Compact Concept)
Optimum CSA indexation + CT˛ concept

Colors : Black

STRONGLIGHT strongly advises (for best results in shifting) the use of these chain rings in the following available sets:
51/39-52/39-52/42-53/39 : Shimano® and Campagnolo® compatible
48/34-50/36-50/34 : compact concept 110 mm compatible US$43.35
€36.00

Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
What are you using in the back end? I was looking at getting the 12/27 but with a 50/34, the high gear would allow me to spin anything.

So, I am also in the hills, but it seems that depending no the spread in the front or back, shifting can be impacted?

Dave

Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
Right now I am using 50/34 on two of my bikes. I am in the process of getting another set for my tri bike (moving the Energy compacts to my Cross bike) and getting some Gossamer MegaExo in a 50/36. I will not go back to regular cranks in the near future.
Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
Dunno.

I'm not sure what I've got. Bought my Stonglights a few years ago when compacts first came out. At that time the only other option was $$$$ FSA carbon at about three times the price. Now Ritchey, Campy, Shimano and others have compacts available, so they probably also sell rings seperate.
Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
I'm using a 12/26 SRAM on the rear with 700 wheels on my road bike. Our road group has a Thursday night hill ride so it's a nice combo for me on the hills.
Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
Greg, any reason you did not go with a 12/27? You really would have a much higher gear.

Now you are 1.30. With a 12/27, you would be 1.25

I keep trying to decide if I want a 12/27

I probably would go the 50/34 since I am going to spin 200 cranks, I assume the higher the gears the better.

Dave

Quote Reply
Re: Best place to get compact crank chain rings? [Bman] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
Any reason going to a 50/36? Whats your rear cassettee?

Dave

Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
On my road bike I am running 12-25 and on my tri bike I am running 12-23. I live on the west coast and have some pretty big hills and this works for me.
Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
So, with a 11/23 on your tri bike, you only have a 1.47. So, if you went to a 36, I dont think I would get up the hills.

So, am again wondering with those setups, why are you going to a 36, which bike, and what rear gear? I seem to want to get as mch high end for the hills as possible.

Dave

Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
"any reason you did not go with a 12/27? "

Not really. I was running a Dura-Ace 12/25 but it was a bit worn and when I purchased a SRAM chain at the LBS I grabbed a SRAM 12/26. I didn't think it would make all that much difference.
Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
If you are that concerned with getting up the hills then go with a 12/27. I do not see anything wrong with that at all. I just know after riding the 34 small for a long time that the 36 will feel better on the tri bike with the rear set up that I have. I have played with this set up for a long time and feel that a 36 will be better for racing.
Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
Thanks, just trying to collect data.

Dave

Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
48/34 will shift a bit better than the 50

11-28 cassettes are out there with 11-25s on the horizon.

have you used 200mm cranks yet? I would be suprised to see anyone "spin" cranks that long.

-SD

https://www.kickstarter.com/...bike-for-the-new-era
Quote Reply
Re: Best place to get compact crank chain rings? [SuperDave] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
Hey SuperDave who makes 11-28? And are they just for r 110 or also available for 130/135?

Ta

Re: Best place to get compact crank chain rings? [SimpleS] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
I'm sorry the 11-28 was in reference to the 10 speed Shimano compatible cassette ratio. I'm not sure who makes it, perhaps Sunrace or Suntour. I think IRD markets it here in the US. There was a guy riding around on a 2 x 10 speed equipped MTB with one on his rear wheel. I didn't catch the make.

Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
Man, 11-28. Would that be able to use a standard rear deraileur?

I have not had enough time on the 200's since I was starting out on PC's to answer the spin.

But, if a person 5'8 can spin a 175, why would a person 6'5 not be able to spin a 200? Now, I assume a person 4 feet could not spin 175's?

Dave

Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
11-28 will work with a Dura Ace rear derailleur.

I don't think you can draw that conclustion based on height.

-SD

Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
I just find it interesting that for folk who either are not tall, and/or have never tried longer cranks, to tell others what will happen is interesting.

But, every person I have talked to and is tall and IS using longer cranks, they say they will never go back. Oh well, I am going to try and will let folks know how I did. It may or may not work, but if I do not try, I may be leaving some of my genetics with my height on the floor rather being used in a race. I need all the help I can get.

Dave

Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
I'm 6'2" used to TT on 178mm cranks, had 192mm on my MTB and hated them.

I'm faster on 172.5mm

It sure works for Big Mig and that Russian hour record dude. I just don't think it should be the default for tall people.

Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
I agree nothing should be the default for anyone.

Dave

Quote Reply