Login required to started new threads

Login required to post replies

Best options for upgrading 12speed Ultegra r8100 with 54t
Quote | Reply
Hi, I’ve been looking for quite a bit but I can’t find a way to find 54/40 chainrings that would be compatible with my 165mm Ultegra r8100 cranks.
Does anyone have any suggestion? Unfortunately I have seen that rotor, aerocoach, vision are still 11speed based (there’s like a 0.5-1mm difference that would ruin shifting) and Dura Ace chainrings have a different shape so they wouldn’t align, ruining aero performance for this combo.
All ideas are very welcome and appreciated! Thanks
Quote Reply
Re: Best options for upgrading 12speed Ultegra r8100 with 54t [marcoruggine] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
Any reason to not just get a 165 DuraAce crankset in 54/40? Also, are you running a DA front derailleur? It is the only front mech that Shimano says will accept the 54T front.

I would like to do 54/40 in the front and 11-36 in the rear to try for better chain efficiency which means a DA front mech and 105 rear. Which then means your options for OSPW systems are limited. Nothing is easy or cheap...yet.
Last edited by: LOW2000: Apr 18, 23 23:12
Quote Reply
Re: Best options for upgrading 12speed Ultegra r8100 with 54t [LOW2000] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
When building my bike I had 2 reasons for not getting a 165 DA crankset:
- DA pricing is to high compared to Ultegra for just a very marginal performance improvement
- Supply-chain shortage: Shimano was not (and still is not) providing delivering times for 165 54/40 cranksets to my LBS

Btw, I like your idea of the 11-36 and thanks for the heads up of the DA front derailleur, I was not aware of this. Now I'm curious to see if someone tested an Ultegra derailleur with 54t.
Quote Reply
Re: Best options for upgrading 12speed Ultegra r8100 with 54t [LOW2000] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
I too am interested in the hg710 11-36 cassette but you can’t get it yet (shimano still announcing stuff way before they can deliver) and it has a 21 to 24 tooth jump in the middle of the range which is gonna get annoying in a steady effort.
Quote Reply
Re: Best options for upgrading 12speed Ultegra r8100 with 54t [marcoruggine] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
marcoruggine wrote:
- DA pricing is to high compared to Ultegra for just a very marginal performance improvement
- Supply-chain shortage: Shimano was not (and still is not) providing delivering times for 165 54/40 cranksets to my LBS

Btw, I like your idea of the 11-36 and thanks for the heads up of the DA front derailleur, I was not aware of this. Now I'm curious to see if someone tested an Ultegra derailleur with 54t.

Anybody tested R8100 Ultegra cranks with R9200 DA chainrings? Alternatively, has anyone tested other non-Shimano chainrings on the R8100 Ultegra cranks?
Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
Quote:

I have Rotor cranks and chainrings (not Shimano), but they are 54/40 on 165mm cranks and I run Ultegra R8100 and have not had any issues
Quote Reply
Re: Best options for upgrading 12speed Ultegra r8100 with 54t [r0wdiggity] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
r0wdiggity wrote:

I have Rotor cranks and chainrings (not Shimano), but they are 54/40 on 165mm cranks and I run Ultegra R8100 and have not had any issues

How is the shifting compared to the Ultegra rings?

http://www.mamilian.bike
Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
I have 11 speed Di2 on two bikes, and have Power2Max cranksets on both. I'm a big fan of their products, and they have a 54/42 Praxis chainset option, but I'm not sure of compatibility with 12 speed. They can come with 165mm cranks.

Blog: http://262toboylstonstreet.blogspot.com/
https://twitter.com/NateThomasTri
Coaching: https://bybtricoaching.com/ - accepting athletes for 2023
Quote Reply
Re: Best options for upgrading 12speed Ultegra r8100 with 54t [r0wdiggity] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
r0wdiggity wrote:
Quote:

Thanks! In the end I've stalked my coach (ex pro-athlete) who annoyed a Shimano guru (they are friends) and this is the outcome

- Official answer: r8100 can only work with 50 or 52 big rings
- Unofficial answer: "I'm running a 58/44 on my r8100 and it works fine enough, I simply screwed it higher and pay attention when shifting"

I've then decided to move forward and purchase a 54/40 and simply ignore e-tube settings.

Will keep you updated if something fails or annoys me
Quote Reply
Re: Best options for upgrading 12speed Ultegra r8100 with 54t [babgvant] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply

Quote:
Quote:
How is the shifting compared to the Ultegra rings?

Not a fair comparison because I re-cabled and did a tune up when I switched over. The Rotor have been better, but not a 1 to 1 comparison (they are also traditional round rings, not oval rings, I know Rotor is synonymous with those so just making sure I clarify)
Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
Im running a 54t DA ring on my Ultegra 165 crank. So far no problems.
Quote Reply