Login required to started new threads

Login required to post replies

Prev Next
Best option for music while swimming?
Quote | Reply
I get so f'ing bored doing laps in the pool. I was thinking of upgrading my garmin to an MP3 model to use it in the pool, but looks like no good options for swimming earbuds that will work, and BT apparently doesn't do well in water anyway....
What is the best current option? The $200 shokz openswim??

Thx!
Quote Reply
Re: Best option for music while swimming? [SBRcanuck] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
I use the Zygo headphones and really like that they connect to my phone. An audiobook or podcast seem to keep me more entertained swimming than music does. Sadly the charge on it doesn't last nearly as long as they advertise for me. I get about 1 hour usage out of it before having to recharge. Other than that, I'm happy with it.
Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
They are kind of clunky, but I use the Tayogo swim radio. It has mp3 and FM radio. I also have the Shockz open swim, and it’s more streamlined, and better quality, and works awesome, but only has mp3, no radio.

Athlinks / Strava
Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
You should probably just listen to a Lionel Sanders video the whole time
Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
Well I'm off to the pool myself
I'm going to listen to him Ashley horner podcast.
Think it's titled the art of the Delaware Street nap
Quote Reply
Re: Best option for music while swimming? [Fishbum] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
Fishbum wrote:
You should probably just listen to a Lionel Sanders video the whole time

If you come up to Tremblant next weekend for the 70.3 we could finally introduce you to him in person!!! Pics and autographs to put on your training room wall! :)
Quote Reply
Re: Best option for music while swimming? [Fishbum] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
Fishbum wrote:
Well I'm off to the pool myself

I'm going to listen to him Ashley Horner podcast.
Think it's titled The Art of the Delaware Street Nap

Wow

"What's your claim?" - Ben Gravy
"Your best work is the work you're excited about" - Rick Rubin
Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
I was hoping he would be at placid
Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
Why don't you just swim haunted by the earworm of the refrain from Sting's "We Work the Black Seam"?

That's what I have been using since 1985. I enjoy all of my workouts. :-(

Quote Reply
Re: Best option for music while swimming? [Dean T] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
Dean T wrote:
They are kind of clunky, but I use the Tayogo swim radio. It has mp3 and FM radio. I also have the Shockz open swim, and it’s more streamlined, and better quality, and works awesome, but only has mp3, no radio.

I have the tayogo mp3 player, less than $50 on amazon. love it
Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
Shokz openswim has been great for me. Makes pool swim so much more enjoyable imo.
Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
I like that new song "Sound of Water".
Quote Reply
Re: Best option for music while swimming? [abrowntd] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
abrowntd wrote:
Shokz openswim has been great for me. Makes pool swim so much more enjoyable imo.

Agree on the open swim. I have the ipod waterproof from h2o and the problem is finding ear buds that don't leak or fill up with water, u need to grease ur ear a bit to jam it in and I've lost the rubber grommet inside my ear more than once. Openswim none of those issues. U load mp3s and off u go. Battery stays charged for 10+ hrs also good for bike and run since u can hear the things around u (unlike an in ear system)
Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
I've tried lots of options; from the aftermarket waterproofed ipods, to cases, to the aftershox. Here's what I've found:

-The aftershox is the best option (just wish it wasn't so stupid expensive...though they are now down to $120 on amazon). It's a lot more durable than the player/earbud combos, and doesn't need to be stored somewhere (clipped to goggle strap, stashed under cap, etc.).

-As mentioned, you need good earbuds for the ipod-esque options. Any water in the ear canal and the audio dies. That being said, the cheap options on Amazon work well (ex: https://www.amazon.com/...tive/dp/B07PNCFWJM); just make sure they have the "pine tree" tips not the "mushrooms." The pricier brands like H2O Audio didn't work better than the generics.

-Bluetooth has a range of 1-2 inches in water (easy to test with a BT hrm and a watch), which is why you don't see streaming/BT options.

ECMGN Therapy Silicon Valley:
Depression, Neurocognitive problems, Dementias (Testing and Evaluation), Trauma and PTSD, Traumatic Brain Injury (TBI)
Quote Reply
Re: Best option for music while swimming? [Titanflexr] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
Aftershokz brand are hands down the best. I went through several different ear bud style headphones and they all were not worth the hastle. Invariably the ear bud type leak water after a few hundred yards.
Quote Reply
Re: Best option for music while swimming? [abrowntd] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
Question on the Shokz openswim: would they stay in place/work over a cap. I have long hair and caps are (supposed to be) mandatory at my pool. I don't think I could stuff them under without it being really uncomfortable.

I absolutely love my running shokz but haven't pulled the trigger on the openswim because of that (assumed) problem and the fact that they are mp3.

Also, if you go with Shokz my advice is to buy at a retailer and not through their website. My openrun died (after 3+ years using them everyday which for me is a good track-record as my headphones have rarely lasted more than 6 months). I ordered a new pair 4 WEEKS AGO that was supposed to arrive within 5 days; I've reached out to the Helpdesk 4x where they assured me it was going to ship (no, it has not even shipped). I've used all my patience; I'm calling again tomorrow to cancel my order and hopefully get a refund.
Last edited by: CaliB: Jun 18, 23 15:37
Quote Reply
Re: Best option for music while swimming? [CaliB] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
Thanks all, looks like it'll be the shokz.
I have another pair of theirs that I use for running as well and they work great.
Quote Reply
Re: Best option for music while swimming? [CaliB] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
CaliB wrote:
Question on the Shokz openswim: would they stay in place/work over a cap. I have long hair and caps are (supposed to be) mandatory at my pool. I don't think I could stuff them under without it being really uncomfortable.

I absolutely love my running shokz but haven't pulled the trigger on the openswim because of that (assumed) problem and the fact that they are mp3.

I hope someone with experience can answer this. I bought a pair of these for my son at his request and he wore them once claiming there was no way to wear them comfortably under a cap. I’m not sure if it was he was doing something wrong or if they’re not as great as they seem.
Quote Reply
Re: Best option for music while swimming? [toomanycats] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
I just put the bottom strap of my goggles on top of them. No issues and they stay in place.
Quote Reply
Re: Best option for music while swimming? [MXGimp] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
I've tried several, because I was too cheap to try the shokz, and my first generation aftershokz were way too quiet.

In the end I got the the shokz, and they are way more comfortable, and way better than any of the in ear ones (2 x different Sony, a waterproofed ipod shuffle, a generic ali express).

It would have cost me less and my frustrations would have been reduced if I'd just done the smart thing and ponied up for the shokz in the first instance. My only complaint is the lack of BT for out of the pool.
Quote Reply
Re: Best option for music while swimming? [BUNSRLTW] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
Hope you find something that works for you. One thing that I love about swimming and being in the ocean is you don't have any connection / dial into anything. I don't wear a watch but it always feels nice to just disconnect. Then as soon as you get out you have to get back onto the iphone / email / algorithm slavery :(
Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
SBRcanuck wrote:
I get so f'ing bored doing laps in the pool. I was thinking of upgrading my garmin to an MP3 model to use it in the pool, but looks like no good options for swimming earbuds that will work, and BT apparently doesn't do well in water anyway....
What is the best current option? The $200 shokz openswim??

Thx!

I use the Openswims and I am a very happy customer. But we warned that having to load MP3s isn’t what we’re all used to these days but the battery life and quality is worth it.

The UnderWater audio Delphin unit would be perfect but I’ve never been good with earplugs in the water. The Android tablet that can download Spotify playlists is a real winner. If they could combine the tablet with a wired bone conduction headphones (since Bluetooth is a no go) they’d be perfect.
Quote Reply
Re: Best option for music while swimming? [waverider101] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
waverider101 wrote:
Hope you find something that works for you. One thing that I love about swimming and being in the ocean is you don't have any connection / dial into anything. I don't wear a watch but it always feels nice to just disconnect. Then as soon as you get out you have to get back onto the iphone / email / algorithm slavery :(

I would never wear them in open water as I find the time passes by much quicker. But we only have about 2 months of good open water weather/temps/pre-algae bloom.... So most of the year is in the pool doing 25m laps. It gets painfully boring!
Quote Reply
Re: Best option for music while swimming? [klorene] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
klorene wrote:
I just put the bottom strap of my goggles on top of them. No issues and they stay in place.

This! I wear them on the outside of the cap. I use goggles with a split strap, and put the band of the headset, between the split strap, behind my head, and they are held in place nicely

Athlinks / Strava
Quote Reply
Re: Best option for music while swimming? [toomanycats] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
toomanycats wrote:

I hope someone with experience can answer this. I bought a pair of these for my son at his request and he wore them once claiming there was no way to wear them comfortably under a cap. I’m not sure if it was he was doing something wrong or if they’re not as great as they seem.

I've never had any issue u can easily wear the cap over the ears with the loops around the ears under the cap and aligned correctly to the temple areas to listen but the hoop joining the two sides should stick out the bottom of the cap, if like this u would think there would be water resistance but I've never had any issues and it's rock solid stable. Jumped in water swam with my garbage technique and always OK

Maybe your son tried to have the whole unit inside the cap in which case it would tilt up
Or down massively and not align with ears/temples.
Quote Reply

Prev Next