Login required to started new threads

Login required to post replies

Best midwest Half/Lansing Legislator any good?
Quote | Reply
Hey, has anyone done the lansing legislator? I am thinking of possibly doing the half there next summer if I can get my orthotics working in a way that I feel that the extra running won't shorten my athletic career. I am pretty optimistic because I've only had them for a week now and I am going back to get them adjusted Tuesday.

Do you like this race? It is in my backyard so that is sweet. And half the run is a trail run.

What are some other great venues for a half around here?

Thanks,
Dan
www.aiatriathlon.com

http://www.aiatriathlon.com
Last edited by: dtreeps: Oct 27, 04 9:15
Quote Reply
Re: Michigan Folks: Lansing Legislator [dtreeps] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
I did it. It was foggy that day, so they ended up canceling the half and just going with the Oly.That didn't bother me. What I didn't like was they change the distance. If I remember right it was suppose to be .96 swim, 28 mile bike, 6.5 run when we where about to start I swear he said it would be changed to .96 s - 30 b - 6 run. But when I got off the the bike my computer said 32.2 miles and by my watch I think we ran 7 miles. I over heard someone after the race say that a volunteer got it mixed up and moved the turn around a half mile out instead of a half mile in.But I don't know if that is true.

Next year I think they need to decide on one race distance and run just that. But other than that I had no complaints.Food was good,you got a T-shirt and bike jersey.

I almost forgot there was some dirt sections on the bike but they said next year that would be taken care of.

Dave
Last edited by: baddog590: Oct 26, 04 20:17
Quote Reply
Re: Michigan Folks: Lansing Legislator [baddog590] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
thanks Dave...sounds like a fiasco...

Does anyone else have any experience there?

What are some other great half-ironman events around Michigan or Indiana?

Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
Kenny at 3D puts on some very good races. The conditions at that race were out of his control. The fog delayed the race for quite some time and the police that were controlling traffic couldn't stay out there all day.

I would expect there will be a good race if the weather cooperates, but you never know what you will get.

jaretj
Quote Reply
Re: Michigan Folks: Lansing Legislator [jaretj] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
did you get a refund or did you do the olympic race?

dan
www.aiatriathlon.com

Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
I did it last year too. It's a nice location. The water was a bit weedy for the swim. On the bike, except for the dirt sections (which were to be repaired leter in the fall) it was very smooth and had little traffic. The run was nice, if a bit long. I signed up for the 1/2 and was disappointed at first for cancelling that but I still had a nice time.

The other 1/2 of note is the Steelhead in Benton Harbor. A very nice race indeed. My only problem was that it happened on the hottest day of the summer.
Quote Reply
Re: Best midwest Half/Lansing Legislator any good? [dtreeps] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
The Steelhead in Benton Harbor is a great race in a great location. There was a long thread on it back in August. It got rave reviews.
Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
The best 1/2 in Michigan is the Steelhead in Benton Harbor, Michigan. The race will take place the weekend of Aug. 7th in 2005. The website is www.stealheadtriathlon.com and you will be able to register for the event starting in December. Of course, I am a bit bias toward the race as I help out with the event! Z
Quote Reply
Re: Michigan Folks: Lansing Legislator [martytram] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
So martytram how long was the run in your opinion?

I don't know if I would call it a fiasco I did have a good time also. Also I passed a ton of people at the dirt patches.

Dave
Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
I didn't do the race, many of my friends did. No, I don't believe there were refunds, I will have to check on that. I don't know of any races that give refunds though.

jaretj
Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
I haven't done Lansing Legislator so I don't have an opinion.

I have done the Whirlpool Steelhead 1/2 Ironman in Benton Harbor and I give that race absolute rave reviews.

In addition to being very, very well organized, executed and planned the venue is idyllic. It it beautiful, challenging and fun.

I've raced on all seven continents including Antarctica and done over 200 triathlons. I put Whirlpool Steelhead in the top five races in the world. It is an absolute winner. I very highly recommend it.

Tom Demerly
The Tri Shop.com
Quote Reply
Re: Michigan Folks: Lansing Legislator [baddog590] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
I dunno, 1/2 to 1 mile longer. I did the run in 56 min which was a personal worst. I've haven't had a tri 10k run in recent history over 50min (everyone keep their snide remarks to themselves).

I just rememeber thinking sometime after mile 5 that the run seemed like it was never going to end.
Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
Ive done 3 halfs in the midwest and all are good>> Muncie in Muncie IN, Pigman in Cedar Rapids/Palo IA, and Spirit of Racine in WI. I would probably rank them in the order listed. Ive also heard that the Steelhead is really good, was going to do it next year but I have a conflict.

-----------------------:)
SUPPORT OPERATION REBOUND:
http://www.operationreboundcalifornia.kintera.org/ejs3

Kestrel Syndicate
Macca Fan Club
Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
I did Steelhead this year, and it was fantastic. I didn't do the Lansing Legislator, but did do Paul Bunyon last year, and Kenny did a fine job with it. The Little Smokies 1/2 in OH is part of the Triple-T team triathlon and was a great race. Incredibly tough course.
Quote Reply
Re: Best midwest Half/Lansing Legislator any good? [Tom Demerly] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
Thanks for the report, Tom. We work hard on making the Steelhead Race a great experience for the athletes. The best part of the race is the support we get from the locals who come out and volunteer for the race. The community really supports the race and Jean Klock Park has one of the best beaches in the country! Z
Quote Reply