Login required to started new threads

Login required to post replies

Best helmet for "odd" head?
Quote | Reply
Hi guys,

Anybody out there having an odd shaped head ?

Looking for a helmet that accommodates my "leticular"-shaped noggin best.

Most models always seem to sit too high up.

Any suggestions?

adrialin

(BOMK, racing drug and supplement free since 1985)
Quote Reply
Re: Best helmet for "odd" head? [adrialin] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
My long, kidney bean-shaped skull fits pretty well inside a large Giro Pneumo. (I tell people that I have an extra large head to house my extra brains, but for some reason they don't believe me...)

The large Pneumo's proper fit has been tested in crashes. It stays on and does its job (I'm on my third one: the first got old, and the second was destroyed in a wreck.)

Quote | Reply

----------------------------------------------------
Striving to have sex more than 66 times per year
Quote Reply
Re: Best helmet for "odd" head? [GJB] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
Thanks GJB,

I will give the Pneumo a try.

adrialin

Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
I have the same problem. My Bell Furio fits great, AND they are on sale, or were, at Nashbar and Performancebike.

Take everything I say with a grain of salt. I know nothing.
Quote Reply
Quote | Reply

Quote | Reply
I am no longer a big fan of the Bell helmets. My Ghisallo really does not fit too well and the pads are of inferior quality.

On the other hand I have had a mid-priced Giro helmet break apart at the front just from normal wear (no, I did not sit on it).

I think it would be a good thing if helmet makers would actually design helmets for differently shaped heads. Or at least indicate in their product description if the helmet is more suitable for a particular "shape". Not everybody has a perfectly spherical head....

I think that would really be a good marketing idea. HELLO? Anybody on this forum in the industry?

adrialin

Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
There was a thread a while ago about Giro helmets (possibly) spontaneously developing cracks in the styrofoam, so be careful. Check your helmet before every ride.

(My current Pneumo is about two years old, and no cracks have developed.)

Quote | Reply
I don't know about the Ghisallo, but my Furio has had NO isssues and is very comfortable. Go check one out. One of my riding buddies, who also posts here, has a couple of furios (we each bought ours before riding together), he has no complaints. The Bells vary very much by price range. The Furio retails around $80 (sale ~$40) so it is better built than some of the lower priced Bells.

Take everything I say with a grain of salt. I know nothing.
Last edited by: docfuel: Nov 5, 04 21:10
Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
Bell and Giro are essentially the same company, and I find the fit differences between their offerings to be slight.

I have had good results with the Catlike helmets as a solution for those who do not fit well in the Giro/Bell family of helmets. As a plus, I weighed out a US Catlike (heavier than the Euro version to meet US safety standards) and it was actually lighter than a Pneumo, and cost significantly less...

Tech writer/support on this here site. FIST school instructor and certified bike fitter. Formerly at Diamondback Bikes, LeMond Fitness, FSA, TiCycles, etc.
Coaching and bike fit - http://source-e.net/ Cyclocross blog - https://crosssports.net/ BJJ instruction - https://ballardbjj.com/
Quote Reply
Re: Best helmet for "odd" head? [GJB] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
Quote:
My long, kidney bean-shaped skull...

How exactly is your bean oriented?

I'm just having a hard time conjuring that image.

+
Quote Reply