Login required to started new threads

Login required to post replies

Best heart rate strap for tri: I have a garmin edge 520 and forerunner 220 (both Bluetooth compatible)
Quote | Reply
Looking for a good heart rate strap for training and racing. I don't really care about swimming in it but needs to be waterproof cuz I'll be racing with it. I have a garmin edge 520 and forerunner 220 running watch.
Quote Reply
Re: Best heart rate strap for tri: I have a garmin edge 520 and forerunner 220 (both Bluetooth compatible) [triguy86] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
I have 4iiii's Viiiiva HR strap and use it with my 910xt, 520, TR and Zwift seamlessly. I swim with it on in races and have not had any issues to date with it.

https://www.dcrainmaker.com/...luetooth-bridge.html
Quote Reply
Re: Best heart rate strap for tri: I have a garmin edge 520 and forerunner 220 (both Bluetooth compatible) [triguy86] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
Just so you know, neither the edge 520 or the forerunner 220 are bluetooth compatible with heart rate straps. They are bluetooth compatible with your phone for uploads, text messages, etc. But they do not support any "sensors" through bluetooth (such as HRM, power meters, speed sensors, cadence sensors, foot pods). They only support ANT+ sensors.

I just replaced my Garmin HRM that crapped out after a couple years with the Wahoo TICKR. It transmits both bluetooth and ANT+ so it would work for you. I chose this one because it has the ability to transmit HR data to my phone via Bluetooth, which allows me to then record heart rate variability. I'm not convinced it's a good tool...but at least I have the option to explore it. I paid about $28 because I had some credits through Clever Training.
Last edited by: Jason N: Jul 27, 17 17:52
Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
Huge fan of the scosche rhythm, if it's good enough for DCR, it's good enough for me.
Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
triguy86 wrote:
Looking for a good heart rate strap for training and racing. I don't really care about swimming in it but needs to be waterproof cuz I'll be racing with it. I have a garmin edge 520 and forerunner 220 running watch.

Believe me I haven't found the perfect heart strap, but I do have quite a few ideas to improve the various products on the market. With that being said, the Garmin Soft Straps these days are still your best bet. Optical if it is built in can be nice feature when it works, but optical still doesn't have the reliability in my opinion as a strap but it continues to get better and better everyday.

Save: $50 on Speed Hound Recovery Boots | $20 on Air Relax| $100 on Normatec| 15% on Most Absorbable Magnesium

Blogs: Best CHEAP Zwift / Bike Trainer Desk | Theragun G3 vs $140 Bivi Percussive Massager | Normatec Pulse 2.0 vs Normatec Pulse | Speed Hound vs Normatec | Air Relax vs Normatec | Q1 2018 Blood Test Results | | Why HED JET+ Is The BEST value wheelset
Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
I bought a Wahoo Tickr recently because I wanted bluetooth as well as ant +
Its no where near as good as the garmin straps :(

over a few weeks it loosens and starts to slip down
after only a few months the sensor pads started to delaminate

its a shame that garmin straps don't have bluetooth, they are far better quality than others I have used

-

http://www.thetrinerd.com
Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
I use the Wahoo TICKR but attached to a garmin soft strap. The clips on the pod are the same size so the straps are interchangeable. The strap with the TICKR is the worst I have ever come across. The slightest movement and it would pop open (the strap is joined by the pod acting as a bridge between the two sides of the strap). Just awful.

The TICKR, as a pod, is much better than the garmin stuff.
Quote Reply
Re: Best heart rate strap for tri: I have a garmin edge 520 and forerunner 220 (both Bluetooth compatible) [lbmxj560] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
I didn't know that! Awesome

-

http://www.thetrinerd.com
Quote Reply
Re: Best heart rate strap for tri: I have a garmin edge 520 and forerunner 220 (both Bluetooth compatible) [Anth] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
I use my 4iiii Viiiiva sensor with a Garmin soft strap. Works well with my Garmin GPS, and also with Strava and Zwift on my cell phone. The 4iiii sensor also act as a Ant+ to Bluetooth bridge, so my Vector pedals and Garmin foot pod are recognized by Strava and Zwift on my cell phone. (the original 4iiii strap is very good also)
Last edited by: madmax231: Jul 28, 17 4:37
Quote Reply
Re: Best heart rate strap for tri: I have a garmin edge 520 and forerunner 220 (both Bluetooth compatible) [lbmxj560] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
Do the run dynamics integrate with Garmin Connect? My HRM-Run is giving me issues and I was going to buy the new model... might have to buy a TICKR Run instead.
Quote Reply
Re: Best heart rate strap for tri: I have a garmin edge 520 and forerunner 220 (both Bluetooth compatible) [Thomas Gerlach] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
Thomas-
What is the difference between the Garmin strap you listed and this garmin strap

https://www.amazon.com/...TRVA2WE1G84G8FNRPSQ8

I have the latter and after two years it seems to be getting more and more unreliable, so I'm shopping for a new one.

Thanks
Quote Reply
Re: Best heart rate strap for tri: I have a garmin edge 520 and forerunner 220 (both Bluetooth compatible) [DrunkIrishman] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
DrunkIrishman wrote:
Thomas-
What is the difference between the Garmin strap you listed and this garmin strap

https://www.amazon.com/...TRVA2WE1G84G8FNRPSQ8

I have the latter and after two years it seems to be getting more and more unreliable, so I'm shopping for a new one.

Thanks

For starts that one is a hard-strap. The one I linked to is a soft-strap. The difference is that one holds it shape (hard-strap), the other is flexible and molds to the body. There are other differences too but that is the biggest noticeable one. The soft-strap has more features and is newer but at the end of the day heart straps are about heart rate and being comfortable. They both do heart rate, but the latter is more comfortable.

Save: $50 on Speed Hound Recovery Boots | $20 on Air Relax| $100 on Normatec| 15% on Most Absorbable Magnesium

Blogs: Best CHEAP Zwift / Bike Trainer Desk | Theragun G3 vs $140 Bivi Percussive Massager | Normatec Pulse 2.0 vs Normatec Pulse | Speed Hound vs Normatec | Air Relax vs Normatec | Q1 2018 Blood Test Results | | Why HED JET+ Is The BEST value wheelset
Quote Reply