Login required to started new threads

Login required to post replies

Best cycling shoe for supports/orthotics
Quote | Reply
After suffering a partial tear in my post tib tendon, I was fitted for orthotics to wear all the time. These are more like small casts, but they will be able to be trimmed down a touch in the next couple of months.

Now on to cycling. A friend recommended using green Superfeet inserts in my shoes. The definitely felt better for some shorter rides. Then Saturday, I did a 60 mile ride. I could barely walk without my orthotics and my ankle was sore, swollen and tender to the touch. But when I put on shoes with my orthotics, I felt fine.

So on to the question portion of the post. My Northwave's are going on 3 years old, so it might be time for some new cycling shoes. I tried putting my orthotics in my cycling shoes, but these things are just huge... I'm talking massive... like stick out of the top of every shoe that I have. Are there shoes that are more orthotic friendly? Or would an over the counter arch support placed on top of my Superfeet help? I have the plank flat feet with huge pronation along with the "peek a boo" heel roll. I was totatlly built wrong at the factory.

So in short, post tib tear, needing orthotics, feel good in orthotics, bike shoe ideas.

Thanks!!!

Breakfast is for Closers
Quote Reply
Re: Best cycling shoe for supports/orthotics [140pt6] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
We sell quite a few Sole Softec insoles (somewhere between Green & Blue Superfeet in volume) in my studio and there does not seem to be any shoe that they work better with than others. It just comes down to the person's foot shape, and how much "spare volume" they had in the shoes to begin with. In general I am a big fan of putting a real insole in a cycling shoe and few manufacturers do this. Sidis seem to have the shallowest heel cup and are most likely for user to have heel lift issues if used with the Softec insoles, so I try to use Slim Sport insoles for these. I've also used Superfeet myself in several brands of shoes and never had trouble.

It sounds like you have a really large orthotic that might warrant a custom shoe design or some work with your doc to reduce the shape of the orthotic for cycling. D2 and Rocket 7 are worth a look. I've never found a shoe where even a large volume, off the shelf insole sticks out. I think Rocket 7 will also do orthotics only, they can maybe offer advice on the cycling shoe interface aspect.

Hope that helps.

Cyclist turned multisport enthusiast. Human performance technologist and digital health expert in my day job.
https://www.linkedin.com/in/karletzel/
https://www.strava.com/athletes/karletzel
Quote Reply
Re: Best cycling shoe for supports/orthotics [140pt6] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
D2 shoes are the way to go! Great customer service, always get someone on the phone, they aren't happy until you are!

I would not consider anything else.

Cheers,

Richard Nixon, Fit2Tri Multisport Inc.
Fit2Tri,
rich@fit2tri.com
Discount code, slowtwithch
Quote Reply