Login required to started new threads

Login required to post replies

Prev Next
Best Vehicle For a Family of Triathletes
Quote | Reply
  • Family of 4
  • Live in a major city, and I mean in it. We have 1 parking space and only 1 car.
  • We all have bikes
  • We are all triathletes
  • We like to travel
  • We want space
  • We wouldn't mind something we can sleep in and do race weekends in
  • Vehicle needs to be under 20 feet long

We currently have a Toyota Sienna and use a bike rack.

Can you suggest something better for our situation?
Quote Reply
Re: Best Vehicle For a Family of Triathletes [LifeTri] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
A minivan is tough to beat in your situation. The only other vehicle idea I have it a Sprinter van, because they’re tall inside.

Instead of replacing the minivan, what about adding roof racks on top with two large cargo boxes? That would let you bring more stuff or at least move it from the van onto the top. Another idea is to buy a small trailer to carry the bikes and store stuff. But then you’d have to store the trailer somewhere.
Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
2017 Ford Expedition EL. Sure you could find a used one. the 2018's were redesigned and price is $$$$.
I bought one late last year and love it. Could never bring myself yo buy a minivan for some reason.
Quote Reply
Re: Best Vehicle For a Family of Triathletes [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
I agree with dktxracer, can't think of a vehicle better suited than a minivan for your situation. A 4x8 utility folding trailer could probably be stored in the parking space along with the car.
Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
Do you need to commute in your vehicle, or is it for non commuting stuff?

Swimming Workout of the Day:

Favourite Swim Sets:

2020 National Masters Champion - M50-54 - 50m Butterfly
Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
We bought a used sprinter van outfitted by Winnebago.
ERA model
Best thing I have ever purchased
1 up USA bike rack
sleep 3 in back and one up front
the 3 in the back is tight, but if you are all comfy with each other it works
usually stay at local campsites for the races ($20-50 a nigth)

fridge, range (never used), microwave, toilet and shower (never used).

It has a Mercedes diesel engine 20+mpg making it the most fuel effect vehicle we own

We are in it most weekends. I have a minivan which I traveled to races with for the 5 previous years.
I grew tired of my envy when one of these Sprinter vans pulled in next to us and I finally pulled the trigger last year.

If you only had 2 or 3 people you could stay in it as long as you like, with 4 people 2-3 night are tolerable.
My daughter and I drove it 2/3 across country last Summer for races and it was perfectly comfortable.

If there is space behind in a parking lot you can back it in and take up a normal parking space, otherwise we pull into 2 spaces and it fits great.

Drives like a car, its 19ft, full hook ups.

I never camped in my life, we basically use the camp sites for overnight and bathroom. I will admit we look pretty goofy pulling in with a big Mercedes logo up front and jump out with our trisuits and million dollar bikes! The RV and campsite crowd are nice people though!!
Quote Reply
Re: Best Vehicle For a Family of Triathletes [KONO] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
not even close to the interior cubic feet of a Sienna or the Odyssey... OP said a family with bikes and gear not a solo racer and 3 spectators

Canadian Record Holder 35-39M & 40-44M - 200 m Butterfly (LCM)
Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
full size van (sprinter, transit) with seats some removed? small cargo trailer on your sienna? An SUV is a step backwards based on your stated needs.

Canadian Record Holder 35-39M & 40-44M - 200 m Butterfly (LCM)
Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
Ram Promaster cargo van with some custom interior work. Plenty of "adventure van" outfitters that have off-the-shelf interior finishing components for these. It's similar to a Sprinter, but actually a little wider inside (Wide enough to sleep crosswise), and less expensive...both to buy, and to service. It's FWD, too, so it would be easier to live with as your only vehicle if you happen to live somewhere that gets snow in the winters. Diesel engine is available, but the standard engine is the same Pentastar V6 that's in numerous Chrysler/Dodge products, and is plenty enough for the kind of workload you'd put on it.

Throw a couple captains chairs in the second row, build a "bike garage" in the back with a bunk over the top. Slide out bike racks are the easy way to get them in and out. Add Fantastic fan in the roof and a screened window or two for ventilation, & a marine battery to run the fan and interior lights while you're parked. It would be snug for sleeping 4, but it would work.

"They're made of latex, not nitroglycerin"
Last edited by: gary p: May 5, 18 11:35
Quote Reply
Re: Best Vehicle For a Family of Triathletes [realAB] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
Not everyone wants to drive a minivan.
Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
What do you not like about your current set up? Do you have second row captain’s chairs?

I have a highlander hybrid with the second row bench which stows flat so you have a nice sleeping area . Hitch mount for bikes and roof box for other gear add a tent or you could go really fancy with a roof tent and you can sleep 4. But a sprinter van is way cooler if you want to throw down that kind of cash.
Quote Reply
Post deleted by windschatten [ In reply to ]
Re: Best Vehicle For a Family of Triathletes [windschatten] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
windschatten wrote:

Only problem is with fitting those into a regular sized garage/parking deck.

Minivan is your best option, maybe with hitch-storage or roof pop-up tent.

They come in two roof heights. The low-roof version should fit in most parking garages. Gets a little harder to hit all the objectives (hold 4 bikes with 4 seats and room for 4 to sleep) with the low roof, but it may be possible with some creative configuring.

You can get a pop-up top for the low-roof Promaster which has a bunk, but the resulting height when closed is probably ~ as tall a the hard-top high roof.

"They're made of latex, not nitroglycerin"
Last edited by: gary p: May 6, 18 6:16
Quote Reply
Re: Best Vehicle For a Family of Triathletes [JasoninHalifax] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
We walk and take public transit to the office...when we are there. The wife and I are both client facing and have to drive to meetings often...but luckily the company will pay for rental cars/uber/car share for those meetings and it doesn't require us to take a personal vehicle.
Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
Just in the process of selling my Sienna to move onto a truck for reasons other than capacity for family and tri stuff. I had set of yakima bars on top with bike racks with core locks on the rack and the bike holders. Not sure what I am going to do with all that gently used stuff now. The Sienna rocked and it was 17 ft long. I don't think there is anything better under 20 ft long. I would adapt the Sienna as well as possible.

They constantly try to escape from the darkness outside and within
Dreaming of systems so perfect that no one will need to be good T.S. Eliot

Quote Reply
Re: Best Vehicle For a Family of Triathletes [spasmus] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
I actually want to reply to everyone and say thank you for the suggestions and please...keep em coming.

I am going to look into the sprinter and dodge options and see what we can find.

As far as the parking situation is concerned we have a wide parking stall and there is no heigh limit to the vehicle really. We do have to drive UNDER our own house to get into our complex as we have a carriage home unit and I guess we wouldn't want something that is over 12 feet tall...which I don't think is going to happen anyway.

I like the idea of adding a tow package to the vehicle, a folding trailer, and a roof top sleeping tent. That is probably the most economical way to go.

The kids are young and still don't mind sleeping with or close to mom and dad. I remember when I was a kid I basically did nothing with my parents as my mom was home taking care of four of us and my dad was working 60-100 hour weeks so we could live in a good school district. I don't want that to be the case for my kids. Don't get me wrong, I have a good relationship with my dad now, but I feel like I may have missed something as a kid and want to spend as much time exploring the country with my kids as I can.

Thanks again!
Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
I have four kids (three in booster seats). My daughters and I are the racers. We have a Sienna as well. I put my bike on the roof and break my daughter's bikes down to put in the back. We use a Yakima box on top for extra stuff; it was the largest we could find that left enough room for a bike. The van has 200k on it so we are looking for something new, just like you are.

We looked at the Mercedes Sprinter vans for all the reasons other posters mentioned, size, comfort, the ability to sleep in it, gas mileage, etc. However, they are no convenient for any sort of commuting due to size (in our opinion) and making entering any sort of low parking structure (8ft or below) impossible. Ford has a new transit model that would fit in terms of height and interior space/modularity but only comes in rear wheel drive so any sort of winter trips are out of the question.

With all this in mind we are actually looking at a used Suburban (years 2009-2013 based on Consumer Reports ratings and interior dimensions). You can find them for less than 30k, fully loaded. Even with the third row up there is still cargo space plus you have roof rack and tow hitch options. Not to mention a trailer as some other posters mentioned. Sleeping the family inside might be a bit of a challenge for you but you'd be tight and cozy!

Just my own observations as I'm going through pretty much the same vehicle hunting process you are. Good luck!

Oh, and nice work with letting the kids sleep with/near you. We do the same thing (at least with the smaller ones). It is really rewarding for us all.
Quote Reply
Re: Best Vehicle For a Family of Triathletes [alaska848] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
I was also looking at the Transit Connect. It appears to be front wheel drive:

EPA-Estimated Ratings (Actual mileage will vary)2.5L I-4: 19 city/27 hwy/22 combined mpg
Max Seating Capacity
7Drive TypeFront-Wheel Drive
Available Engine2.5L DOHC Duratec® I-4
Transmission6-Speed SelectShift® Automatic Transmission
WheelbaseSWB: 104.8" LWB: 120.6"
Maximum Payload1,270 lbs.Wheels Available16" Steel Wheels with wheel covers, std. on XL and XLT Passenger WagonAre you thinking of a different model?
Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
Honda Odyssey/Toyota Sienna. Otherwise a good old full size van if you can still find one.

We now have to Honda vans. Simply no other easy way to move people and bikes. We used to have a Suburban and a Ford Excusion but they have a lot less space inside and way worse economy. They were great and all, but the van is simply superior unless you have a giant trailer/boat to pull. The minivan allows you to put four people and four bikes in without pulling wheels off (except my one MTB that is just a tiny bit too tall (XL frame that is a pretty upright design and full long travel suspension).
Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
Yeah, I was looking at this one. Just a bit bigger. You can go with a low roof, long base set up and haul tons of stuff.

https://shop.ford.com/build/transitvanwagon/?intcmp=vhp-360cta#/select/Config%5B%7CFord%7CTransit%20VanWagon%7C2018%7C1%7C1.%7C302A.X2Z.....X31.CS2.VW.~YZKAA.MLR.99G.446.WAL.20B.XLT.%5D

Quote Reply
Re: Best Vehicle For a Family of Triathletes [alaska848] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
Ahh, okay. I feel like they make is so hard to find specifications on these things. No wonder Ford is cutting their lineup...they have too much.
Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
As others have said above, an Odyssey or Sienna. We owned a 2008 (bought new, and didn't change it until this year when it was totalled), and loved it. It allowed us to grow as a family (we now have 5 children), and also allowed us to pursue our favourite sports (cycling, tri's, etc). You can easily fit 4 people in there comfortably, along with all the tri gear that each person brings to the table (and luggage) INSIDE the vehicle. If you go to 5 people, you can still manage, but it gets tighter. Go to 6, and now you need to go with either a roof clamshell or something for luggage off the trailer hitch (bikes > luggage) gives the added space needed. Add to this the crash ratings (which we have personally experienced in a VERY positive manner), and for us our new vehicle was a no-brainer... a 2018 Honda Odyssey Touring (in Canada is the same as US-Elite version).

We have managed in this vehicle to not only grow as a family and take a lot of joy in the fun that our different pursuits present us, but now our oldest (15) is on a real bike, which means that the addiction (er... pass-time) continues to another generation!
Quote Reply
Re: Best Vehicle For a Family of Triathletes [Tri 2 Tri] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
Tri 2 Tri wrote:
As others have said above, an Odyssey or Sienna. We owned a 2008 (bought new, and didn't change it until this year when it was totalled), and loved it. It allowed us to grow as a family (we now have 5 children), and also allowed us to pursue our favourite sports (cycling, tri's, etc). You can easily fit 4 people in there comfortably, along with all the tri gear that each person brings to the table (and luggage) INSIDE the vehicle. If you go to 5 people, you can still manage, but it gets tighter. Go to 6, and now you need to go with either a roof clamshell or something for luggage off the trailer hitch (bikes > luggage) gives the added space needed. Add to this the crash ratings (which we have personally experienced in a VERY positive manner), and for us our new vehicle was a no-brainer... a 2018 Honda Odyssey Touring (in Canada is the same as US-Elite version).

We have managed in this vehicle to not only grow as a family and take a lot of joy in the fun that our different pursuits present us, but now our oldest (15) is on a real bike, which means that the addiction (er... pass-time) continues to another generation!

I love this story! Yes, I think we will stick with a minivan. Perhaps will will upgrade to an AWD with a tow package, add a roof tent/storage, and maybe a trailer. We cant afford the $125k for a sprinter.
Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
We have a Ford Flex - 3 kids.

Perfect wagon for bikes, gear, and not a mini-van or giant SUV. We have used for many vacations and race vacations. I have the biggest thule clam shell and a 1 bike rack on the roof. I have a tow-hitch thule that holds 4 bikes. Race Bike on the roof, other bikes on the back.

3 rows of seats and plenty for room for gear and kids to spread out.

I love it.
Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
Nissan Armada - Plenty of room and still has an V8 engine
Quote Reply

Prev Next