Login required to started new threads

Login required to post replies

Prev Next
Best US City for Triathletes/Cyclists
Quote | Reply
I live in Chicago. We had a long, crappy winter and a short and not so hot summer this year. It's already getting cold again and like many, I toy with the idea of moving elsewhere.

I have friends in Seattle, San Francisco and San Diego (been to all but SD multiple times). I know it's completely subjective, but what are people's opinions on the ideal place to live to enjoy outdoor cycling, running, racing year round?

-------------
My Stupid Blog
Gatorade EndurAlliance Ambassador
Quote Reply
Re: Best US City for Triathletes/Cyclists [trikicks] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
Portland Oregon.

t

My Blog:
http://www.staggerforwardrejoicing.com
Ultrarunning & Parenting: There is no finish line.
Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
For weather, San Diego. Absolutely no contest. Great cycling in all three places.
Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
You should do a search. This question comes up almost as often as the complaints about drafting...

Warning however, everyone lives in the greatest city for triathlons....
Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
FJB is right about this topic coming up every couple of months.
I live in south Orange County, California and to me, it's a pretty good place to be a triathlete. Lots of varied terrain to ride/run, an ocean to surf and swim in, and bike lanes everywhere with, at least in my experience, very tolerant drivers that are accustomed to people on bikes, plus as we all know, the weather is pretty ideal. Year 'round outdoor training with only about 20" of rain per year, which is sporadic at best, and only falls between Oct. and April. We generally get ZERO measurable precip. between June and September.

------------------
My business-eBodyboarding.com
Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
I guess it makes me kind of weird that I tell people I live in a great place to train for triathlon - Chicago. I get to put in about 100 m/p/w year round commuting on my bike to work along the lakefront (you can pretty much push it early morning in the summer and anytime the rest of the year or on the South Side), run year round along a mile long beach in Rogers Park, extending down to the lakefront path for long runs, and swim at Ohio Street Beach all the summer. OK, swimming has to wait until June, but other than that, what else could you want?
Quote Reply
Re: Best US City for Triathletes/Cyclists [TriBodyboarder] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
I have trained in San Diego before, and is hands down my favorite for the community there.

Although I've been to Boulder, I was a lazy out of shape kid back then. My vote is SD - and I do hope to make it a permanent move someday.

---
Team Triabetes
Quote Reply
Re: Best US City for Triathletes/Cyclists [shumanmo] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
what are those winter bike commutes like along Lake Michigan? Not to say it can't be done, but man it must be friggin' cold.

my twitter feed
Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
Tucson has been named the top city many times by several cycling and triathlon publications. Lots of mountains, flats and sunshine in the winter not to mention that TriSports is located here as well.
Last edited by: mellerd: Oct 9, 09 11:13
Quote Reply
Re: Best US City for Triathletes/Cyclists [jpflores] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
Like they say, there's no such thing as bad weather, just bad clothing. I've accumulated a range of winter bike clothing that lets me go out in just about anything. To be honest, I will skip riding when it's too slick from ice or unplowed snow, but other than that, I'm good to go. I get to the point that I kind of resent it when spring comes because that's when the fair weather riders come out and take up my bike path.
Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
anywhere but Austin :)

-----------------------------------------------------------------
Hilly Flats Racing

Quote Reply
Re: Best US City for Triathletes/Cyclists [mellerd] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
In Reply To:
Tucson has been named the top city many times by several cycling and triathlon publications. Lots of mountains, flats and sunshine in the winter not to mention that TriSports is located here as well.

Shhhh! Don't tell everyone. They will all want to move here! : )

-

B.Oliver -My Blog...triguywithavx.wordpress.com
Powered by:
-accelerate3.com coaching-
-**TriSports.com Save 20% Message me for one time use code {restrictions apply...see site)
Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
Personally, I love where I live--Twin Cities. But if you don't want to come here, no skin off my nose. I like it in the winter when all the yahoos are gone and I have the shoulders/paths/trails to myself :-)

mmm-mmm-Momo Charms
Handmade beverage charms, jewelry, and miscellanea

http://momocharms.wordpress.com
Quote Reply
Re: Best US City for Triathletes/Cyclists [jpflores] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
In Reply To:
what are those winter bike commutes like along Lake Michigan? Not to say it can't be done, but man it must be friggin' cold.

The cold isn't the problem. Well, it is, but not from a comfort standpoint. The path tends to get iced over between Oak and Ohio from the lake crashing over. Makes for some seriously treacherous riding on a roadie...
Quote Reply
Re: Best US City for Triathletes/Cyclists [115InTheShade] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
Eventually, I'll be moving back there. But eventually is a long time away. :)

-Jot
Quote Reply
Re: Best US City for Triathletes/Cyclists [mmrocker13] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
x2. I lived in Chicago area and much prefer the Twin Cities. I'll grant I am not relishing the ideas of getting my studded cross tires out quite yet but the Twin Cities are great for endurance athletes.

Jason
Dig It Triathlon and Multisport
http://www.digittri.com
Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
The more I do triathlons here in metro DC the more I think there is to like about it. Our winter is mild, but enough that it does feel like we have four real seasons here. I am a cold wuss and even I ride outdoors March-November, but plenty of folks here ride year-round. Racing and training opportunities are growing, and our economy remains relatively good.

Downsides: housing is still very expensive and traffic is really, really bad.
Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
Boulder,

Mild winters when compared to the mid-west. Altitude, hills, flats, runner/biker friendly.

Up Up Down Down Left Right Left Right B A B A
Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
raleigh NC, 4 seasons with a mild enough winter to ride outside all year, rolling terrain, great parks for trail running and low traffic country roads for riding, quick trip to the mountains or beach, more tirathlons with in a 2-3 hour radius than you could ever want to do in a season with a strong community of triathletes and enough business/culture to make a living and have fun....
Quote Reply
Re: Best US City for Triathletes/Cyclists [Skibum232] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
In Reply To:
Boulder,

Mild winters when compared to the mid-west. Altitude, hills, flats, runner/biker friendly.
**really really runner and biker friendly. Plus, you get to see people like Matt Reed, Chrissie Wellington, Craig Alexander, and tons of other amazing athletes training while you are.
Quote Reply
Re: Best US City for Triathletes/Cyclists [Bux] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
Tucson is by far the best place. We have over 27 outdoor pools open year around. Miles and miles of bike lanes plus Mt. Lemmon and Gates Pass. We can train year around with no fear of freezing to death. Yes it is hot during the summer but if you are willing to get up early you can beat the heat. TriSports.com is headquartered here plus TRIFEST will be here for the third year in a row. Throw in the numerous pros that live or come to train here you can't beat it.

OVTRIGUY
Quote Reply
Re: Best US City for Triathletes/Cyclists [legs] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
Boulder, is cool (and all the positives have been spelled out before) BUT:

1) There is no ocean to swim in. The difference b/t drafting your way thru a masters pool session and "swimming" a 1500 solo in a rough ocean that you are cold as balls and scared of sea monsters in is almost a different sport.

2) Prep for early season ultra-humid/hot races is difficult, unless you can go down to tropical places for training camps before hand. Cooked my brains at quite a few spring races where summer had arrived and it was still snowing in CO.

3) In my opinion, the race venues don't do justice to the level of athletes out here. The Boulder Res sucks .Aurora Res is not much better. There, I said it. The run course for all the 5340 or whatever they are called now is just miserable. An out an back on a dusty dirt road, with ZERO shade.

4) It is hard to get down to sea level quickly (CA & Flagstaff can do this in a couple of hours or less) for ultra high intensity stuff. Again, if you're a full-timer that is no biggie because sea-level training is part of the mix.

5) You will ALWAYS travel for championship races. Usually by plane, or at least 1 day in the car to get to anything like a national championship.

6) Boulder ain't exactly cheap.
Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
At the risk of pointing out the obvious, San Diego is very tough to beat. I know Boulder is great, but no ocean. And that winter thing. Tuscon is great..but again, no ocean, and that summer thing.

San Diego - killer weather. This trumps just about everything else in my opinion. Of course, I live here so my tolerance for bad weather sucks..that happens when its always between 50-90 degrees year-round. Combined with that we have great riding (though not as good as Tuscon). We have an ocean for open-water swimming which you can also do just about year-around....through admittedly, Jan-March is pretty damn cold. A pretty good number of Masters programs as well.

And finally, a huge multisport community...TCSD alone is massive, over 2000 members. Free club races every month that in the summer attract numerous pros and elite-level athletes. Also, a pretty large number of paid entry races (Encinitias, Carlsbad, Misson Bay, Imperial Beach, San Diego Intl, Camp Pen Sprint, SuperSeal, just to name a few...) Granted, we're a bit shy on HIM distance races and don't have any IM's.

But as far as a place to live and train and have plenty of people to swim/bike/run with...its hard to beat America's Finest City.

my twitter feed
Last edited by: jpflores: Oct 9, 09 15:19
Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
Greenville, SC
In short & in no order:
1. Geography / training grounds
2. Weather
3. Races
4. Community
5. Cost of living
6. Go Tri Sports (had to throw that in there)

*** CAUTION : Poster owns a triathlon store ***

Alfred Olivetti | Go Tri Sports
http://www.gotrisports.com
Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
Of course we are all biased towards where we live/train, however, Vegas has world class conditions. Now I don't mean training in the city. I mean the area around lake Mead.

1. Year round training.

2. An extreme lack of flatness.

3. Open water big lake swimming. Plus plenty of pools.

4. Plenty of HS tracks for such workouts.

The only thing lacking is altitude unless one trains on the west side.
Quote Reply

Prev Next