Login required to started new threads

Login required to post replies

Prev Next
Best Rivalry in Sports.......
Quote | Reply
Paul and I were chatting last night on our ride home and I saw this therad on another forum and with the lance/jan tete-a-tete starting..... Mine: 1-Yankees -vs- Red Sox (just look at last nights game....) although the best quote I ever heard about this was that it was like saying a bug and windsheild were a rivalry..... 2-Van Gundy's Knicks -vs- Riley's Heat........When the coach runs out and grabs 'Zo's leg that says it all....... ..yes, i'm a NY'er....... Just thought we needed a NON-TOUR related thread.......
Quote Reply
Re: Best Rivalry in Sports....... [Keith Miller] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
Bar none...

Army vs. Navy

Go see the game, you'll see why.
Quote Reply
Re: Best Rivalry in Sports....... [Brian286] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
MIIIIIIIIIIIIIChigan vs. Ohio State Football!!!!
Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
There are thousands of best rivalries that most people never hear about. The local high school vs the next school down the road. There is a dynamic in defending the honor of your home town against the barbarian horde from the next town that can never be duplicated in pro sports where for enough cash your star will probably join the barbarian horde.
Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
Texas A&M Aggies vs. t.u. Longhorns
Quote Reply
Re: Best Rivalry in Sports....... [jtang] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
I second Michigan-Ohio State even though I'm on the wrong side of it :)
Quote Reply
Re: Best Rivalry in Sports....... [Matt Boutte] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
Actually it's
University of Texas vs. Texas A&M

fal7
UT '70
Yes I know I am old!
Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
I think the oldest rivalry in the NFL is the Bears vs Packers... Still a very heated rivalry! I am from IL and went to school in Green Bay, every Sunday in fall was a battle whether or not the the Bears and Packers where playing each other. And it just happened that the son of the Packers GM went there and two grandsons of the Bears owners went there. All very nice people, but never get into a football conversation with them when their teams lose!

-----------------------:)
SUPPORT OPERATION REBOUND:
http://www.operationreboundcalifornia.kintera.org/ejs3

Kestrel Syndicate
Macca Fan Club
Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
Yankees- Red Sox isn't a great rivalry because the Red Sox are also rans compared with the Yankees. You need to have two teams that are comparable to be a great rivalry. That's why Michigan-OSU counts, but Michigan - Michigan State does not.
Quote Reply
Re: Best Rivalry in Sports....... [fal7] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
how bout Texas vs OU
Quote Reply
Re: Best Rivalry in Sports....... [olddude] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
I went to a Big 12 School and Big 12 football is pretty good but I'm not sure it compares to Michgan-Ohio...........but then again Colorado Football is hurting right now...... The Miracle in Michigan was Pretty Sweet though!!!! (I'm a Buff..) Kordell to Westbrook off of Andersons tip........ahhhh so sweet.......
Quote Reply
Re: Best Rivalry in Sports....... [CTL] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
Michigan State - Michigan doesn't count in Basketball either. Michigan has no program.
Quote Reply
Re: Best Rivalry in Sports....... [Weege] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
No, we had purchased a really nice basketball program; the NCAA just found out about it so we had to sell everything off and start over. It might be a rivalry again soon.
Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
great rivalries are all around us. They ALL wax and wane. There are times when one or both of the teams will go through the inevitable down cycle. However, when they are both up, it's great. BoSox and Yanks IS a great rivalry. You have to look at these rivalries when both teams are up, so I'll vote for Detroit Red Wings v. Colorado Avalanche from 1996 till 2002. It's softened lately even though both teams are still great, but games like "bloodbath I and bloodbath II" were epic.

Rivalries also are unique to the players and fans involved. I recognize the Bosox and Yanks are heated rivals, but I could really care less who wins. therefore, I'd never vote for it as "The" rivalry.

How about Australia and New Zealand in Rugby Union? Huge rivalry with Nationalistic feelings.
Quote Reply
Re: Best Rivalry in Sports....... [olddude] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
Texas vs OU isn't a rivalry. It could be but OU beats the piss out of Texas every year so it isn't much of a game, neverless a rivalry.

Boomer Sooner

------------------------------------------------------------
"One thing I have found there are just two ways to go
It all comes down to livin' fast or dyin' slow"- Robert Earlk Keen Jr.
Quote Reply
Re: Best Rivalry in Sports....... [jtang] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
UM v. OSU is awsome, however...

My personal favorite rivalry is Michgan v. Michigan State in Hockey. No love lost between either the fans or the players.

Any rivavalry that features a game that fills a FOOTBALL stadium to capacity (Cold War) is tops in my book.

Call me partisan. =)
Go Blue!!!
Quote Reply
Re: Best Rivalry in Sports....... [CTL] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
That is funny! Unfortunately for you guys (if you are a Wolverines fan) those teams (fab 5 etc) won absolutely NOTHING. Not even a Big Ten championship. Oh, I think there was a NIT championship but that doesn't count for much. I do think Amaker is a great guy and coach,,, awesome pick up for the Wolvies.

Chris Webber continues his choking ways in the NBA.
Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
Eagles vs. NFC East.

Flyers vs. Rangers / Islanders (he was offside then, he's offside now!!!) / Devils (Stevens ends Lindros's career ... wait, that was a good thing)

"What's your claim?" - Ben Gravy
"Your best work is the work you're excited about" - Rick Rubin
Quote Reply
Re: Best Rivalry in Sports....... [randymar] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
mcenroe - borg
mcenroe - connors
evert - navratilova
allen - scott
poulidor - anquetil
poulidor - merckx
gebre - tergat
plenty...

my favorite:

tonya harding - nancy kerrigan :-)
Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
That was a good day... <Go Buffs>

---------------------------------------------------
"You're guaranteed to miss 100% of the shots you never take." - Wayne Gretzky
Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
How about Duke-UNC in college hoops?

Navritalova-Everett in Tennis

Magic's Lakers - Bird's Celtics

Ali- Frazier

Props to all of you guys for all around sports knowledge. Too often when I talk to cyclists or triathletes about sports, they only know about the small world which is their sport. I have actually heard a respected multisport journalist say that the biggest rivalry in "all of sports" was Mark Allen-Dave Scott? Come on guy, get your head out of the sand, there is a whole world out there passing you by!
Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
Temple/Rutgers in football???

OK - I'll go back to work.
Quote Reply
Post deleted by Casey [ In reply to ]
Re: Best Rivalry in Sports....... [NJSteve] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
Do they play touch or tackle?
Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
I miss the days when we went up against the communists in sports.
Quote Reply

Prev Next