Login required to started new threads

Login required to post replies

Best Place to Be a Tri-Bum?
Quote | Reply
So Im applying to grad school right now, but if that doesn't work out, im thinking Ill quit my job, move somewhere random for a few months (between summer and before it gets too cold), and just live cheaply and train, maybe work part-time at a bike shop or something. All this lead to a discussion with a friend of where the best place to be a tri-bum would be. Requirements are:

- Cheap Housing/Living
- Great training locale - lakes, hills, etc. for all types of training
- Decent social atmosphere
- Great Triathlon environment

Im leaning towards Madison right now - college town (Id need to be somewhere a little liberal), dirt cheap, lots of good training. Any other suggestions for my theoretical break?
Quote Reply
Re: Best Place to Be a Tri-Bum? [TriBear] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply

i think tucson, az would fit the bill (no lakes though just uofa)
Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
Deset Dude's garage (but Jonnyo beat you to it)

Forget speedwork. Speedwork is the icing on the cake and you don't have a cake yet. - MattinSF

Basically they have 9 tenants, live life to the fullest, do not turn the cheak, and embrace the 7 deadly since. - TheForge (on satanists)
Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
I think Austin, TX fits the bill...

RunFAR Racing Services
http://www.Run-far.com
Team Cambridge
Hilltop Bicycle Repair
Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
- Cheap Housing/Living
- Great training locale - lakes, hills, etc. for all types of training
- Decent social atmosphere
- Great Triathlon environment

I would think that your first one is at odds with the other 3...

---------------------------------------------------------------------
Some are born to move the world to live their fantasies...

https://triomultisport.com/
http://www.mjolnircycles.com/
Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
My first pick would probably be Austin Tx

Second Pick would be Charlottesville, VA

Austin has better open water swimming but Cville is at the foot of the blue ridge. The ultimate place for tri bums would be San Diego or Boulder, Co but you would have to be in the money for that stuff.

D

Las Vegas NV | IM KY 07
Quote Reply
Re: Best Place to Be a Tri-Bum? [softrider] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
Charlottesville has some great places to ride and also has Lake Anna, which isn't too far away. Not too much else to do there though. Austin probably has many more bike/tri shops and a better night life.
Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
Davis, CA. I don't know about cheap but it's one of the most bike-friendly towns in the country. The masters swim program is highly competitive and there's tons of people to train with. College town definitely has a liberal feel to it and there's a great vibe downtown with all the restaurants/bars. Since you are going to grad school, UC Davis has many programs that offer advanced degrees.

_ _ _ _ _ _ _ _ _ _ _ _ _ _ _ _ _ _ _ _
Michael in Fresno
"Do you spend time with your family? Good. Because a man that doesn't spend time with his family can never be a real man" V. Corleone
Quote Reply