Login required to started new threads

Login required to post replies

Prev Next
Best Half Iron Distance in the Northeast
Quote | Reply
I am going to try a half-iron distance tri this summer and am considering the following three events. Does anybody have any feedback, good or bad, on these events.

Nutmeg State Half Iron Tri
[url]http://www.endureitmultisports.com/[/url]

Vermont Sun Half Journey
[url]http://www.halfvermontjourney.vermontsun.com/[/url]

Musselman
[url]http://www.musselmantri.com/[/url]

I know people will suggest Timberman, but that will sell out soon if it hasn't already and I'm not sure I want to commit just yet.

I'm leaning towards the Vermont Sun event because I've raced in one of their Sprints and they put on a good event. It is also in my back yard, but I'm not sure I like the idea of all those u-turns they have on the bike course.

Victor

(Edited to change NE to Northeast in the subject.)

================================
blog
twitter
Last edited by: Bell Head: Dec 20, 06 18:42
Quote Reply
Re: Best Half Irong Distance in NE [Bell Head] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
I was going to suggest the Pigman in Iowa but I then I figured out NE does not stand for Nebraska
Quote Reply
Re: Best Half Irong Distance in NE [MTMTRI] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
Thanks...and sorry. By NE I meant Northeast, preferably New England, as you guessed.

Victor

blog
twitter
Quote Reply
Re: Best Half Irong Distance in the Northeast [Bell Head] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
Tupper Lake Half Ironman (www.tupperlakeinfo.com). Crappy website, but great event.

Dev
Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
I have done Musselman and endorse it as a great race, nice spot to mix in a vacation (NY Wine country), cheap if you stay in the athlete village (college dorms), great course, etc. Did it once and will for sure be participating next year (too close to IMLP this year).

Proud Member of the Guru Cartel, EH?
Quote Reply
Re: Best Half Iron Distance in the Northeast [Bell Head] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
I will also endorse Musselman. Without any doubt, far and away the best race I've ever done. Great for a weekend with the family or others - sprint race, kids race, and this year they'll have an ITU race as well. And you can tour some of hte wineries, which are nice. Bike course is quite scenic. It's a decently challenging course as well.
tom
Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
Also, note the nutmeg state half is a brand new event. I do'nt know if the organizer(s) have put on other races in the past.
Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
You should change the title to "Best Half Iron Distance in the NE besides Timberman"

C'mon, drink the kool aid and sign up for Timberman. You can get $125 back if you cancel by July 1, but why not sign up now? There is a reason it is filling so quickly...
Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
I did Firm Man in Narragansett, RI this past August and thought it was a solid race... organization, course, etc. Awesome venue right there at Narragansett Beach -- overall, I thought it was very well done. I can't compare it to any other NE races though as I'm from FL.

http://www.firm-racing.com

Good luck.
Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
Don't forget about Mooseman on the first weekend of June. I was there this year and will be back in 2007, great race (www.endorfunsports.com). I also did the Vermont Sun in 2006. Fun race, except for the torrential rains for the entire race. The amount of water on the bike course was just plain silly. Good race, though.

-C

------------------------------------------------------------
Any run that doesn't include pooping in someone's front yard is a win.
Quote Reply
Re: Best Half Iron Distance in the Northeast [AR] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
I did Firmman also, but it was not in the same universe as musselman. Devilman in NJ in the spring was better than firmman, but again not close to musselman.
Quote Reply
Re: Best Half Iron Distance in the Northeast [CCF] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
I'm VERY biased, but Mooseman or Timberman would be a great choice:)
We've got some big things that are going to make the events even better this year...

The Koolaid even tastes better here:)
Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
Tupper Lake and Musselman are both great.

2015 American Zofingen Du is May 17.
R.I.P. Chris Gleason
Quote Reply
Re: Best Half Iron Distance in the Northeast [KJ] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
Timberman and Mooseman are far and away the best, I don't think either are sold out as of today? After those there is a gap, but then Musselman is really nice and would be my next choice. I think Jeff Henderson makes improvements there every year and this year he is bringing an ITU race...cool town also.

VTSun is a nice small race, closer to a "local" long-course race. Lots and lots of turn-arounds on the bike though and one brutal section on the run that most people are reduced to a strong hike.

Devilman has the most disgusting, gross swim in the history of triathlon.
Quote Reply
Re: Best Half Iron Distance in the Northeast [don] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
Neither are full yet. Timberman has about 150 spots left, and Mooseman has about 250 left....
Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
I've only done Timberman, which I agree with the majority that it's a great race.

Check out the Patriot Half (http://www.patriothalf.com). It's new this year and is July 1st. From what I hear, it's being put on by the makers of the Cranberry Country Tri which is a great race, so the patriot should be pretty good too. Plus, it's the only half in Mass!
Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
Thanks all for the input.

I leaning towards Musselman, but haven't rulled out Timberman. Musselman will fit into my schedule better (I have two daughters who will have birthdays the weekend of Timberman) and it is early enough that I can recover and still race later in the season. Price seems more reasonable as well, but then its only money.

Victor

blog
twitter
Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
I'd agree, if it was my child's birthday, I wouldn't do Timberman...
We get pretty caught up in this tri stuff, but Family IS ALWAYS more important. I've heard nothing but good things about Musselman. Enjoy!
Quote Reply
Re: Best Half Iron Distance in the Northeast [CCF] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
How is the Mooseman? I signed up for Timberman 2007 but still wondering about Mooseman?

------------------------------------------------

Trying to find ways to pass the time.
Quote Reply
Re: Best Half Irong Distance in NE [KJ] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
I liked Firmman myself, the ocean swim is cool and the run course is nice. Its super cheap and you can sign up race day. I have done Mooseman and Timberman, and will be doing them again, although the fee is ridiculously way to high for the race. Remember Firm is a 4 person company, who does not pay "volunteers" and gives over 50% of profits to local charities. Another benefit to Firmman is the hotels to not require a 2night stay like they do in NH.
Quote Reply
Re: Best Half Iron Distance in the Northeast [BiasedOyster] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
Mooseman is a great course, with a swim in pristine Newfound Lake, one of the 10 cleanest lakes in the US. It's quite a bit smaller than Timberman (as the venue is smaller), and the site is rustic compared to Lake Winnipesaukee. Quiet country roads....fairly challenging bike course. We like it...:) Run is along the lake, by the Granite Ledges....
Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
Have done the Tupper Lake 5 times, did Mooseman last year. Have had athletes do both Timberman & Mussleman. All are well run races, but I have to give KJ props for the way he runs his races. Of these 4 listed, here is my order:

#1: Mooseman
#2: Timberman
#3: Mussleman
#4: Tupper Lake

It sounds like you need to pick which one fits best into your training & schedule! Good Luck!
Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
Just as an FYI, after the VT Sun race the RD said that he was trying to move the race two weeks later, to the weekend after labor day. He said that it would almost definitely happen.

-C

Quote Reply
Re: Best Half Iron Distance in the Northeast [BiasedOyster] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
In Reply To:
How is the Mooseman? I signed up for Timberman 2007 but still wondering about Mooseman?

The Moose was a blast. Fabulously clear lake, it was the first time I could really see other swimmers in the water. The bike course was great. Challenging, yes, but also has the potential to be very fast. I didn't use my race wheels because of all the mud in transition, but the course is absolutely made for a speed machine. Long fairly shallow decents where you can really take advantage of aero toys. Run was two loops with a few good hills each lap. Aid stations and spectators were great. Great swag bag, with the best race shirt I've ever gotten. The thing I liked the most was as soon as you crossed the line, a volunteer handed you a Mooseman bottle and a Mooseman towel. I thought that was classy.

-C

Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
Having done most of the HIM's in the NE I can say hands down Timberman is the funnest, best course, safest, well run, best awards, best pre/post race of any of the races named.

Keith has done, on a small budget, what IMNA/WTC have done with M-Dot races. Yes, we can all whine about IMNA/WTC but it seems we all continue signing up for their races, at a record pace, e.g. IM Kentucky.

Keith's attention to detail is unsuprassed. The location is outstanding. Just a great race to do. Aid stations on the run are some of the best I have seen, even given M-Dot races.

Peace out!
Quote Reply

Prev Next