Login required to started new threads

Login required to post replies

Prev Next
Best Half-Iron distance race in July - cast your votes
Quote | Reply
My time-slot is July only for this race, due to a number of factors. I'm talking about 2012 (so vineman is out, for example, due to capacity). I live in south Florida, so I assume I'm going to have to hop a plane for this, but would like to stay within North America.

I've shortlisted 2 of the WTC 70.3 races (won't say which, don't want to sway the votes) so I'm curious if people have had great experiences at one of these. Or even better, maybe if people in this forum know of a cool non-WTC race in this timeframe?
Quote Reply
Re: Best Half-Iron distance race in July - cast your votes [2two_tired] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
Musselman in Geneva NY
Quote Reply
Re: Best Half-Iron distance race in July - cast your votes [2two_tired] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
Hands down: Muncie!

STIndiana
America Multi-Sport, Inc.
America's Half June 10, 2017
USAT RD Century Club
http://www.americamultisport.com
Quote Reply
Re: Best Half-Iron distance race in July - cast your votes [PollyG] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
PollyG wrote:
Musselman in Geneva NY

x2

this yr will be my 1st time @ Mussleman. But it has been on my to-do list for years, have only ever heard awesome things about this race.

Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
Musselman is a great race. Did it in 2009. It's probably sold out by now. Last information I saw was late March and they only had a few slots to fill. Lake Stevens 70.3 has moved into the July slot now (normally in August). I have raced there twice and the course is challenging but very scenic.
Quote Reply
Re: Best Half-Iron distance race in July - cast your votes [Stindiana] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
X2 for Muncie. First time for me but...... based on reviews, great race support, closed bike course and a challenging run I am looking forward to it.
Quote Reply
Re: Best Half-Iron distance race in July - cast your votes [Stindiana] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
x3 on Muncie

Great race, can't say enough good things about this race. I had such a good time last year I signed up again this year, worth the 14 hour drive
Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
Muncie!!

imagine.believe.achieve
Quote Reply
Re: Best Half-Iron distance race in July - cast your votes [juliegruns] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
x3 on Musselman. It is a great race, except for that run course, which I both love and hate. It has owned me boht times I have done it.

I am doing Muncie this July (just moved to Ohio), so great to hear people recommend it.

--------------------------------------------------------
John Behme
Charlotte, NC
Quote Reply
Re: Best Half-Iron distance race in July - cast your votes [PollyG] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
+ a billion

I've done both the sprint and the half-iron distance in this event and it is an awesome weekend. I would venture to say the east coast's version of WF without the camping (although to be honest I haven't actually been to WF!). It's the perfect race to start the long distance part of the racing season. Weather-wise, it was beautiful two year's ago, and pretty damn hot last year.

According to the website, the 70.3 race is currently 98% full... see: http://www.onemillionrevolutions.org/regx/list.jsp?r=1227

-Eric
---
"The Fit Shall Inherit the Earth" -Endurance Conspiracy
Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
Stindiana wrote:

Okay I'm stumped about the Muncie love. I looked at your site, and I tried trifind. Neither shows a half in Muncie in July. Is this a secret race?
Quote Reply
Re: Best Half-Iron distance race in July - cast your votes [chemsmith] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
chemsmith wrote:
Stindiana wrote:

Okay I'm stumped about the Muncie love. I looked at your site, and I tried trifind. Neither shows a half in Muncie in July. Is this a secret race?

It is a WTC 70.3 race in Muncie
http://ironmanmuncie.com/

--------------------------------------------------------
John Behme
Charlotte, NC
Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
Musselman.
Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
I'm moving to the Boston area next week, so I signed up for Providence 70.3.

What I do: http://app.strava.com/athletes/345699
Quote Reply
Re: Best Half-Iron distance race in July - cast your votes [jbnc77] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
jbnc77 wrote:
chemsmith wrote:
Stindiana wrote:

It is a WTC 70.3 race in Muncie
http://ironmanmuncie.com/

Ohhhh, that explains it. Too bad.

Thanks.
Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
Racine is pretty fun
Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
I do not know if June 30th works or not but you have Tupper Lake in NY "next" to Lake Placid.

Fred.
Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
I signed up for the Vancouver 1/2 in July. It will be my first of this distance, but I put it out to the ST community when I was considering it and it got great reviews. I know the area and course pretty well and it is indeed beautiful, and should be great in July.

Just in case you felt like getting far away from home for this one :)

Long Chile was a silly place.
Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
Did Providence last year, doing Musselman for the first time this year.

---------------------------------------------------
Quote Reply
Re: Best Half-Iron distance race in July - cast your votes [juliegruns] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
I did Mussleman a couple or three years ago (can't remember exactly).

I loved it; great race; well run; great venue; logistically easy.

simply not in my schedule right now.

Have Fun ** Tri Hard ** Be Kind
Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
What kind of Tri are you interested in difficulty wise? Check out the Desert Half in Osoyoos on July 8th. If you like continuous up and down, the bike course is on part of the IMC course, over Richter pass, then the bitches, then a turn around and come back over the climbs in the opposite direction. The swim will be in a warm lake, and may be wetsuit legal (or not) and the run is pretty flat.

At the other end of July (the 29th) the Calgary half is on. This will be wetsuit mandatory, a challenging ride with no steep hills but some long grades and a run through a river valley with some steep ups and downs. The swim is in a reservoir which I think just had the ice finally come off, the ride is a point to point. Great view of the Rockies as long as it is a nice day.

BC Don
Pain is temporary, not giving it your all lasts all Winter.
Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
Where do you recommend staying to be close to the race site?
Quote Reply
Re: Best Half-Iron distance race in July - cast your votes [qwerty7000] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
If you are a camper; then the grounds near the lake are OK. 765-747-4872. They will know the options. If you want to stay in a hotel; call the Muncie Visitors Bureau at 284-2700. I would try Muncie, Anderson or Richmond, Indiana.

STIndiana
America Multi-Sport, Inc.
America's Half June 10, 2017
USAT RD Century Club
http://www.americamultisport.com
Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
Musselman in Geneva, NY is a fantastic venue, plus you can go wine tasting afterwards. The dry rieslings are pretty decent out there. If it is a hot day like last year, 93-95, that already difficult run is going to turn into a death march.

Quote | Reply
jbnc77 wrote:
x3 on Musselman. It is a great race, except for that run course, which I both love and hate. It has owned me boht times I have done it.

I am doing Muncie this July (just moved to Ohio), so great to hear people recommend it.

Throw in another vote for Musselman. And I completely agree -- both love and hate that run. The best part was the section where you have the option -- run up the stairs or up the hill. That course owned me.

But seriously, this race is fantastically run. They have great support, a great venue -- great all around. The only complaint I have about that day is that I did not race smart, and that has nothing to do with the race itself. I'm missing this race this year, but I will definitely do Musselman again.
Quote Reply

Prev Next