Login required to started new threads

Login required to post replies

Best Fork for HED3?
Quote | Reply
What is the best fork for a HED3 front? Deep bladed? Narrow blades? Racked? Straight bladed?

Habitual line stepper.
Quote Reply
Re: Best Fork for HED3? [zeusrun] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
QR Carbonaero (or variant); blackwell time bandit; Argos.
Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
How much time you think you will save by changing forks?.....
Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
The main attribute for a fork paired with an H3 is a wide fork crown. The spokes of the H3 create notable turbulence as they pass through the fork blades and "clog" the slot. The result is significant energy going into shear forces. This only really matters at the top of the fork, since all forks widen toward the hub, but the H3 spokes stay the same width.

The Blackwell/Oval forks that have slots to adjust pressure between the blades would also be good choices.

ECMGN Therapy Silicon Valley:
Depression, Neurocognitive problems, Dementias (Testing and Evaluation), Trauma and PTSD, Traumatic Brain Injury (TBI)
Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
Check out Oval's R900 slotted carbon road fork. The slotted design seems to suck out turbulence. It's a stiff fork though.
Quote Reply
Re: Best Fork for HED3? [Titanflexr] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
Do you have the data for this?
Quote Reply
Re: Best Fork for HED3? [Nick_Barkley] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
Nick_Barkley wrote:
Do you have the data for this?

Trying to dig it up. We first noticed this when the wheels that tested the fastest in the tunnel weren't necessarily the fastest when tested on a bike (this is early '90s, so it's all 0deg. yaw). There were wheels like the Zipp3000 that were actually worse than a training wheel once in the fork. Some really old steel forks actually tested quite well due to the wide crown used for braising lessening the fork leg/spoke interference.

Surprisingly, here is a CFD simulation that claims little difference between forks for a H3: http://www.acusim.com/..._1237_081611_web.pdf .
It's CFD, not tunnel, but interesting none the less (Zipp now does most of it's design via CFD, and uses tunnel to validate...the software's gotten to that point).

ECMGN Therapy Silicon Valley:
Depression, Neurocognitive problems, Dementias (Testing and Evaluation), Trauma and PTSD, Traumatic Brain Injury (TBI)
Quote Reply
Re: Best Fork for HED3? [Titanflexr] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
Thanks for posting this. I wonder what an updated Trispoke with a toroidal rim profile and updated blades could do. Even having a similar performance to the top of the line wheels now would be nice if that meant no valve extenders.
Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
Nick_Barkley wrote:
Thanks for posting this. I wonder what an updated Trispoke with a toroidal rim profile and updated blades could do. Even having a similar performance to the top of the line wheels now would be nice if that meant no valve extenders.

Toroidal is the old busted man =)
It probably IS toroidal.

Kat Hunter reports on the San Dimas Stage Race from inside the GC winning team
Aeroweenie.com -Compendium of Aero Data and Knowledge
Freelance sports & outdoors writer Kathryn Hunter
Quote Reply
Re: Best Fork for HED3? [jackmott] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
Isn't the Hed3 rim shape more of a deep V? What I meant was more Firecrest-esque or shapes similar to the the Hed Stinger, Bontrager D3, Enve Smart rims.
Last edited by: Nick_Barkley: Jan 7, 13 11:56
Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
I'd say it splits the diference between a deep V and toroidal. Its not a sharp V like the first get zipps or lightweights.

Styrrell
Quote Reply
Re: Best Fork for HED3? [styrrell] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply

source: http://www.acusim.com/...2010-1431_MNGodo.pdf

From Zipp:

From Flo:

Last edited by: Nick_Barkley: Jan 7, 13 12:19
Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
It'd also be fun to see what a trispoke could do updated not only with a more toroidal design, but with a 23mm rim.

The point is, ladies and gentleman, that speed, for lack of a better word, is good. Speed is right, Speed works. Speed clarifies, cuts through, and captures the essence of the evolutionary spirit.
Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
At the very least the widest point on a H3 tubular is narrower than the widest point of the carbon rim. The curve of the carbon rim also looks more gradual, but I can't be sure of that.

Styrrell
Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
I run a H3 Deep on the rear, which has a Jet 90 section bonded on to it. The effect this has is to widen the overall profile. I'm not sure what the effect of this is - some bright spark might be able to say - but the 22mm tyre that I run on it (R4 aero) seems to blend in perfectly with the shape. If I put the same tyre on my standard H3 rear then the tyre is clearly wider, so the Deep version does have a different overall profile (even though the tyre bed and rim are the same).
Quote Reply
Re: Best Fork for HED3? [Toby] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
Toby wrote:
It'd also be fun to see what a trispoke could do updated not only with a more toroidal design, but with a 23mm rim.

The fastest rims (at higher yaw) seem to be even wider than 23mm.
Last edited by: Nick_Barkley: Jan 7, 13 12:31
Quote Reply
Re: Best Fork for HED3? [Old Albion] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply

Nick_Barkley wrote:

[
Last edited by: Nick_Barkley: Jan 7, 13 12:35
Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
Nick_Barkley wrote:
The fastest rims (at higher yaw) seem to be even wider than 23mm.

At their widest points, yes, but I was just referring to the tire bead portion.

The point is, ladies and gentleman, that speed, for lack of a better word, is good. Speed is right, Speed works. Speed clarifies, cuts through, and captures the essence of the evolutionary spirit.
Quote Reply
Re: Best Fork for HED3? [Toby] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
Hed Stinger 9: 28mm

Zipp Firecrest 808: 26.53mm

Bontrager Aeolus 9 D3: 27mm
Last edited by: Nick_Barkley: Jan 7, 13 12:38
Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
I'm almost positive I've seen multiple times the old Felt Carbon Fork was one of the best with a trispoke.
But yes, an Argos/Time Bandit / QR would probably be quite good too. Maybe the old PD fork as well.

My Blog - http://leegoocrap.blogspot.com
Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
That H3 rendering is not much of an approximation of the actual rim profile.

Andy Tetmeyer (I work at HED)

Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
Is that tire width next to the wheel title in the table?
Quote Reply
Re: Best Fork for HED3? [andy tetmeyer] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
Yeah, under closer inspection the Hed 3 rim looks closer to the "Early toroidal rim"

Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
Quote Reply
Re: Best Fork for HED3? [3Aims] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
3Aims wrote:
Is that tire width next to the wheel title in the table?

Yes
Quote Reply