Login required to started new threads

Login required to post replies

Prev Next
Best Bang For The Buck Tri Bike For $2500?
Quote | Reply
I am looking forward to my second season of triathlon racing. So far I have done one sprint and one Olympic on my current bike, an older Campy 8 speed equipped, steel Gios with a set of Profile clip-ons and an Arione Tri saddle with the rails all the way forward. Although I have been running, non-competitively, for years and only started riding in July, the bike portion has become my strongest. (Finished the bike 146/721 in my Oly.) SO, I am looking to optimize my strength by getting a real tri-bike for Spring. (It's also the most fun to train the bike.)

My question is: what bike will give me the greatest speed increase in my races, lightest weight, and overall best bang for the buck, for around $2500., including some decent race wheels?

In the coming season, I will definitely be doing at least a couple of Oly's, and a couple of halfs, as well. (assuming I stay injury free!) I'm going to keep my Gios, so I can continue to train on that most of the time, if needs be and for any group rides. For now, let's assume fit being equal, which I know it's not!

FWIW, I really like the road feel of my steel Gios, albeit I think I can handle a rather more aggressive riding position.

Should I buy 2006 now? Wait for 2007 and the advancements that might (or might not) help? Maybe buy used? Aluminum? Carbon? Titanium? (Maybe the latter two might have to be used)

Quote Reply
Re: Best Bang For The Buck Tri Bike For $2500? [Axles of Evil] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
you can get a 2006 cervelo p2sl with duraace for exactly $2500.

http://www.cervelo.com/...s.aspx?bike=P2SL2006

also, you might want to look at the felt s32. felts are great ( i have one) and are definately the best bang for buck bike. the 07 s22 has dura ace and a carbon fiber rear end for just under $2000.

http://feltracing.com/...3&catid=18,20,51
Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
one more vote for the Felt S32 - i`ve got one, great bike all over, components, geometry, price - and it feels fast and smooth on the road!

------------------------------
Another IM in 2016 - hopefully..
Last edited by: islandman: Nov 26, 06 9:20
Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
Felt S32 and buy a set of Zipp 404's

jaretj
Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
http://www.bikesdirect.com/...sis06_SPECIALpre.htm

And that leaves $1k for race wheels and aero helmet.

Just Triing
Triathlete since 9:56:39 AM EST Aug 20, 2006.
Be kind English is my 2nd language. My primary language is Dave it's a unique evolution of English.
Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
Buy used and buy now when everyone's selling.

You can get a great tri bike for 2500 or less carbon or whatever you want. Check the classifieds, ebay, craigslist etc etc

I have gotten 2 awsome used bikes for the price of one new one.

http://slow-triathlete.blogspot.com/
Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
for that price plus race wheels you're looking at a dual, felt s32, I can't remember how much the QR Kilo is.

Keep in mind you can just get a $60 disc cover for the rear. Then get a deep wheel here or on ebay. That will allow you to get a lot more bike.

Post some pics!

Dan
www.aiatriathlon.com

http://www.aiatriathlon.com
Quote Reply
Re: Best Bang For The Buck Tri Bike For $2500? [slow triathlete] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
Yes, buy used you can find things like this for a grand.

Just Triing
Triathlete since 9:56:39 AM EST Aug 20, 2006.
Be kind English is my 2nd language. My primary language is Dave it's a unique evolution of English.
Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
The Best deal on the market at this time is the Planet X Stealth pro carbon. It s a top of the line triathlon/TT carbon bike and as a 76 degres angle so not so far from your road bike geometry. They are from UK and just getting on the market in the US. Same bike rideen by Gordo and Spencer Smith

The bike

- Stealth Pro Carbon Frame short head tube, rear wheel cut out!!!!
- Stealth Full Carbon TT Bars
- All Carbon Aero Fork
- All Carbon Aero Seatpost
- Carbon Brake Levers
- Dura Ace Bar End Shifters
you can spec or change anything you want on it, ship to usa for about 2500$. there is also the same version but build with shimano 105 for 2000$. It s truly a top of the line triathlon bike but whitout the extra 2000$ that most big company charge for the equivalent.

to get in touch with them andy@planet-x-bikes.com they are super nice and quick to answer!!!!

Jonathan Caron / Professional Coach / ironman champions / age group world champions
Jonnyo Coaching
Instargram
Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
I second someone else's rec...IF and only IF you know what size you need. You can find SCREAMING deals on ebay. I've bought 5 bikes on ebay and the nice thing about tri/tt bikes is that oftentimes they are not the primary bike that gets used so they don't have a ton of miles or use on them. Again, this only works if you know what size you need.

On another note, I won a Felt B2 off ebay and like others have said, lots of bang for the buck. I got a 10spd DA bike for under $1300 and a Renn disc for $200 (not a lot of action on these two auctions as the bike and disc are 650c and it seems like no one wants these anymore). Now I just gotta get off my arse and go ride :)

_ _ _ _ _ _ _ _ _ _ _ _ _ _ _ _ _ _ _ _
Michael in Fresno
"Do you spend time with your family? Good. Because a man that doesn't spend time with his family can never be a real man" V. Corleone
Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
Don't forget Quintana Roo: Tequilo (alu.) or Seduza (all carbon): You might still be able to pick up a complete 2006 Tequilo for $1800-$2,000 on sale or a Seduza for $2100-$2500 on sale.

That PlanetX bike looks sweeeeet ...
Quote Reply
Re: Best Bang For The Buck Tri Bike For $2500? [flashpoint] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
Re: Cervelo P2SL and Felt S32

Agreed, those two bikes are likley the absolute best value out there on the market. Yes, not full carbon, but bikes like this were winning TT stages in Grand tours and big IM races only a couple of years ago. How much bike do you need?

Fleck

Steve Fleck @stevefleck | Blog
Quote Reply
Re: Best Bang For The Buck Tri Bike For $2500? [flashpoint] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
I am definitely considering both the '06 Cervelo P2SL and the '07 Felt S22.

I think that maybe there will be no change in the Cervelo for '07, so buying an '06 now, if I can find one in my size, would make sense.

Quote Reply
Re: Best Bang For The Buck Tri Bike For $2500? [DavHamm] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
Hmmm. I haven't seen any of these in a race yet. Not that that means anything. Have you ridden one of these?

Quote Reply
Re: Best Bang For The Buck Tri Bike For $2500? [dtreeps] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
The rear wheel disc cover is a good suggestion.

Thr QR Kilo is $1900 MSRP, the Tequilo is $2400.

Quote Reply
Re: Best Bang For The Buck Tri Bike For $2500? [slow triathlete] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
I'll do that, but I need to get measured properly first so I know what to look for. That said, I would like to get a NEW bike. :-)

Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
Is that Titanflex your bike? If so, no offense, but they're not my fantasy. :-0

Quote Reply
Re: Best Bang For The Buck Tri Bike For $2500? [jonnyo] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
I like the Planet X, full carbon for $1964 in 105 and 2230 for Ultegra and they are having a special Slowtwitch promotion: a Dura Ace equipped bike for $2499. Shipping to the US is only $30.

http://www.planet-x-bikes.com/...=view&ANN_id=177

Looks like a great deal. I am concerned about the 76º seat angle, though. How much will that affect my run?

Quote Reply
Re: Best Bang For The Buck Tri Bike For $2500? [Fleck] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
Quote:
How much bike do you need?

Definitely, as much as possible! :-)

Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
Here is a shameless plug for one of our new bikes, RMS Sparrow, 105 10 speed or better, vision aerobars, oversized 3/2.5Ti tubes, Terry fly or Butterfly saddle, Thompson seat post, Michelin Pro Race2 Tires, Fulcrum 7 wheelset and lots more. $1995.00. Check us out at rmstriathlon.com . This is our least expensive model of three. I raced the same frame all last year and had my best year yet.
Quote Reply
Re: Best Bang For The Buck Tri Bike For $2500? [pjrubin] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
I bought a Litespeed Saber with full DuraAce, and added Vision R bend bars for under $2500. I bought the bike w/components on e-bay for $1900 and added the rest. The Saber was an '04.

-Of course it's 'effing hard, it's IRONMAN!
Team ZOOT
ZOOT, QR, Garmin, HED Wheels, Zealios, FormSwim, Precision Hydration, Rudy Project
Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
Hey Axles,

What size are you?

I have a bike to trade you if you would like to part with that old Gios and we're the same size.
Quote Reply
Re: Best Bang For The Buck Tri Bike For $2500? [LaWoof] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
My Gios is a 54cm. I'm 5' 10.5".

I think I want to keep my Gios, but what you got?

Quote Reply
Re: Best Bang For The Buck Tri Bike For $2500? [LaWoof] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
What size Gios are you looking for?

I've got a 51

jaretj
Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
58cm QR.

Too big for you and the Gios is too small for me.

DAMN! I love the old 8spd campy.

Good luck finding a bike!

Peace
Quote Reply

Prev Next