Login required to started new threads

Login required to post replies

Prev Next
Best Aero Sensor to Buy?
Quote | Reply
Anyone recommend any particular aero sensor over others, and why?

Thanks.

Running is the best source of fiber that I know of...
Quote Reply
Re: Best Aero Sensor to Buy? [TriChris14] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
There have been lots announced, but very few released. The Notio is out and relatively inexpensive at $599. The AeroLab sensor used by ERO seems to work well, but I don’t know if they are available to the general public (I think it is a subscription service) and the software and training seems to have been in the “coming soon” category for some time. Aerosensor is the newest and they start limited sales tomorrow. You might wait and see if someone like DC Rainmaker has a review
Quote Reply
Re: Best Aero Sensor to Buy? [grumpier.mike] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
Thank you for the help. Will take a look.

Running is the best source of fiber that I know of...
Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
grumpier.mike wrote:
Aerosensor is the newest and they start limited sales tomorrow. You might wait and see if someone like DC Rainmaker has a review

Looks (finally) like something easy to use

Regards, Richard
Quote Reply
Quote | Reply

Aerosensor just posted they have new stock available for their system:

https://aerosensor.tech/...ections/all-products
Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
grumpier.mike wrote:
There have been lots announced, but very few released. The Notio is out and relatively inexpensive at $599. The AeroLab sensor used by ERO seems to work well, but I don’t know if they are available to the general public (I think it is a subscription service) and the software and training seems to have been in the “coming soon” category for some time. Aerosensor is the newest and they start limited sales tomorrow. You might wait and see if someone like DC Rainmaker has a review

That owner of Aerolab died very unexpectedly last year, I think it was August last year, and since then the whole website looks like nothing happens there anymore. Just the support page with manuals etc is live.
Everything else is gone.
The accompanying app probably still work but further then that I have no clue. I emailed them a couple of times but got no response.
Jim Manton here might have more insight since he still uses the system.

I have a Notio but now also own a Aerosensor since a few weeks as we were one of the early adopters. I have had some small start up things, like my Garmin took the BLT signal from the speed sensor instead of Ant+ that the sensor needs. You have to actually pair that one speedsensor twice and the second time Garmin picks the Ant+ signal, you can delete the found BLT signal and now it works like a charm.
And the people over at Aerosensor are very responsive and helpful.

Jeroen

Owner at TRIPRO, The Netherlands
Quote Reply
Re: Best Aero Sensor to Buy? [TRIPRO] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
TRIPRO wrote:
I have a Notio but now also own a Aerosensor since a few weeks as we were one of the early adopters. I have had some small start up things, like my Garmin took the BLT signal from the speed sensor instead of Ant+ that the sensor needs. You have to actually pair that one speedsensor twice and the second time Garmin picks the Ant+ signal, you can delete the found BLT signal and now it works like a charm.

Jeroen

I just ordered one of these Aerosensors. Perhaps we could take this to Aerosensor for dummy thread, but anyway . . . are you just using the Garmin speed sensor that wraps around a hub?

Dimond Bikes Superfan
Quote Reply
Re: Best Aero Sensor to Buy? [ericlambi] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
Thanks for recommending our system! More than happy to answer any questions here, or on another thread.

No independent reviews yet, but we have a few outlets lined up to review in the coming weeks.

There is a nice video with Ronan McLaughlin who I did some testing with a year ago.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=cCNoCJjEGPQ

(apologies - wrong link uploaded before!)

On the speed sensor we recommend a magnet based ANT+ speed sensor as it gives a much better resolution of instantaneous speed, which is a essential for high quality results. Likewise you need a "decent" power meter. Single sided power meters won't give great results since you lose so much information.

Jeroen, I did not know that Kelly had died (owner of AeroLab). I met him a few times and go on with him well. He was quite a force of nature. Very sad.
Last edited by: bgarrood: Oct 3, 23 8:15
Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
ericlambi wrote:
TRIPRO wrote:

Jeroen

I just ordered one of these Aerosensors. Perhaps we could take this to Aerosensor for dummy thread, but anyway . . . are you just using the Garmin speed sensor that wraps around a hub?

No, the hub based speed sensors are not accurate enough in how they transmit data.
It needs to be Ant+ and it took me a little while to figure out, with help from Barney at Aerosensor, that the Garmin Edge auto select BTLE signal and that doesn't work with the Aerosensor.
So, you need to install the speed sensor twice, first Garmin will see it as the BTLE and the second time you pair it again and then it finds it as the Ant+ device.
After that you just delete the 'first' found sensor with BTLE and it keeps the Ant+ sensor in the system which connects together with the PM to the Aerosensor.

Jeroen

Quote Reply
Re: Best Aero Sensor to Buy? [bgarrood] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
I have a few technical questions if you don't mind. Is it possible to export the raw data from the sensor somehow? E.g. Air speed, yaw angle, temperature, pressure, etc. And what is the sampling rate for the different sensors?
Quote Reply
Re: Best Aero Sensor to Buy? [MTM] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
No problem.
The data is recorded to a fit file at 1Hz. To keep things simple this is just offloaded from your Garmin in the usual way. The device itself doesn't store any data.
Here are the channels recorded in the FIT file record data in our CIQ app (includes the "Aerobody" body position sensor data).

Wind yaw angle, in degrees
Wind speed, in kph
Barometric pressure
Air density
Rider power as used by Aerosesnor
Power expended through aerodynamic drag
Power expended through road slope
Power expended through rolling resistance
Head height from aerobody, in cm
Chest height from aerobody, in cm
30 second (or as set in ACS CIQ app) rolling average CdA
Cumulative average CdA over lap

Slope can be backed out from barometric pressure and air density (i.e. change in elevation from one datapoint to the next is just
delta elevation = - airdensity x gravity x change in barometric pressure
negative because as you rise the pressure falls.
You can then get grade by dividing by change in distance.

Hope that answers your question!
Last edited by: bgarrood: Oct 3, 23 8:31
Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
bgarrood wrote:
On the speed sensor we recommend a magnet based ANT+ speed sensor as it gives a much better resolution of instantaneous speed, which is a essential for high quality results.

Is there a particular model you recommend or know works well? Or any magnet based one will be fine?

Dimond Bikes Superfan
Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
TRIPRO wrote:
grumpier.mike wrote:

That owner of Aerolab died very unexpectedly last year, I think it was August last year, and since then the whole website looks like nothing happens there anymore. Just the support page with manuals etc is live.
Everything else is gone.
The accompanying app probably still work but further then that I have no clue. I emailed them a couple of times but got no response.

Jeroen

Hey Jeroen,
I checked the aerolab email accounts that I receive from (info@aerolab as well as my own personal one). I did not see any emails from you. Perhaps there was a server or spam filter that did not allow it to pass through. At AeroLab Web development is on hold, new feature releases are on hold, but the product still works fantastically well (and has for the last 2+ years), people are still buying sensors. In fact, recently all of our stock was purchased by one user. So we are trying to re-stock while making hardware + software upgrades and upgrades to the iOS application.

Yes, our CEO passed away last year. It was a devastating time for family, friends, the company, everyone around us. I am trying to keep AeroLab going as best as I can to keep the legacy alive. Several contract engineers (close friends) are supporting in the background.
Chris

Chris Morton, PhD
Associate Professor, Mechanical Engineering
co-Founder and inventor of AeroLab Tech
For updates see Instagram
Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
Any sensor is fine, honestly. I like the Sigma Sport one, although it is increasingly hard to get hold of.
Garmin or Wahoo are also very good.
Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
While I don't have a recommendation I would say make sure you have your protocol down, your decision tree solidified and also be flexible enough that if you are 100% confident in something to go with that.

I've tested ~40-50 times outside and rarely does it go perfectly. Knowing what to make a decision on and understanding why you would make that decision is important.

It's one thing to go out and do some A/B runs, it's another thing to go out and do some A/B runs and be confident that you've gotten good data and repeatable data.

Hope that helps

Brian Stover USAT LII
Accelerate3 Coaching
Insta

Quote Reply
Re: Best Aero Sensor to Buy? [AeroTech] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
AeroTech wrote:
TRIPRO wrote:
grumpier.mike wrote:

Everything else is gone.

Jeroen

Hey Jeroen,
I checked the aerolab email accounts that I receive from (info@aerolab as well as my own personal one). I did not see any emails from you. Perhaps there was a server or spam filter that did not allow it to pass through. At AeroLab Web development is on hold, new feature releases are on hold, but the product still works fantastically well (and has for the last 2+ years), people are still buying sensors. In fact, recently all of our stock was purchased by one user. So we are trying to re-stock while making hardware + software upgrades and upgrades to the iOS application.

Yes, our CEO passed away last year. It was a devastating time for family, friends, the company, everyone around us. I am trying to keep AeroLab going as best as I can to keep the legacy alive. Several contract engineers (close friends) are supporting in the background.
Chris

Hi Chris,

Thanks for chiming in.
Good to hear that you guys are still in 'business' after what must have been indeed a very difficult time for you all.
My emails were send late last year/early this year, I can't recall the exact month, I have to look as well.
Anyway, I wanted to get one but couldn't find anything on the webpage anymore.

But still good to hear that you are doing fine in the background and trying to make things work as good as possible.

Best,

Jeroen

Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
Thanks for the reply - that did answer my question.
Quote Reply
Re: Best Aero Sensor to Buy? [AeroTech] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
I'm so sorry for your loss Chris. Must have been a huge shock. I met you both at the ANT symposium a few years ago, if you remember.
Glad to hear you are keeping it going.
Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
Do you know if Notio are still in business? They do not answer my emails so I wonder if they stopped.
Quote Reply
Re: Best Aero Sensor to Buy? [casio] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
casio wrote:
Do you know if Notio are still in business? They do not answer my emails so I wonder if they stopped.

I've heard rumors that they are working to update their sensor to make it more accurate/better. Not sure the validity of those though

Brian Stover USAT LII
Accelerate3 Coaching
Insta

Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
bgarrood wrote:
No problem.
The data is recorded to a fit file at 1Hz. To keep things simple this is just offloaded from your Garmin in the usual way. The device itself doesn't store any data.
Here are the channels recorded in the FIT file record data in our CIQ app (includes the "Aerobody" body position sensor data).

Wind yaw angle, in degrees
Wind speed, in kph
Barometric pressure
Air density
Rider power as used by Aerosesnor
Power expended through aerodynamic drag
Power expended through road slope
Power expended through rolling resistance
Head height from aerobody, in cm
Chest height from aerobody, in cm
30 second (or as set in ACS CIQ app) rolling average CdA
Cumulative average CdA over lap

Slope can be backed out from barometric pressure and air density (i.e. change in elevation from one datapoint to the next is just
delta elevation = - airdensity x gravity x change in barometric pressure
negative because as you rise the pressure falls.
You can then get grade by dividing by change in distance.

Hope that answers your question!

So I read the manual on the website and your post above and it occurs to me that your device is sufficiently accurate to use the “real time” estimates of CdA, where these “real time” estimates are the values taken from a 500 to 1000m out and back run.

The Notio would provide real time CdA values, but you really had to do the post-processing in Golden Cheetah to get useable results because the real time estimates could be all over the map. My guess on the differences in the two instruments is the Aerosensor’s measurement of elevation (I think Notio used slope, which made it very sensitive to how level you got the device during the install).

So my question is whether you can or should use Golden Cheetah to refine the estimates if you are using a looping coarse or a velodrome.
Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
grumpier.mike wrote:
So I read the manual on the website and your post above and it occurs to me that your device is sufficiently accurate to use the “real time” estimates of CdA, where these “real time” estimates are the values taken from a 500 to 1000m out and back run.

The Notio would provide real time CdA values, but you really had to do the post-processing in Golden Cheetah to get useable results because the real time estimates could be all over the map. My guess on the differences in the two instruments is the Aerosensor’s measurement of elevation (I think Notio used slope, which made it very sensitive to how level you got the device during the install).

Notio is (or at least was) heavily reliant on barometer for elevation/incline so not the "how level you got the device" is probably not accurate. Barometer based solutions have other challenges, but that is a whole other discussion.

As for "real time", this depends on your definition of real time. If it's

"I am riding and I see my 60s average CDA as I ride" or
"I am riding, i get my 3s average CDA as I ride" or
"I do an out and back and get a number after the test"

Those are all very different things, with different degrees of difficulty and different advantages.
Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
Bumping this to see if anyone has suggestions for what aero sensor to purchase
Last edited by: MrTri123: Dec 9, 23 16:45
Quote Reply
Re: Best Aero Sensor to Buy? [MrTri123] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
As mentioned earlier in the thread, the Aerosensor is available. I'm having good success with mine and I especially like using the accompanying Aerobody that provides real time measurement of your head and body position. Keeping the head and body consistent from run to run is the key to parsing out the difference between two things. It's amazing how just and average of 1cm head drop can affect CdA. I cant imagine doing any kind of aero testing without a reliable way to keep head and body consistent on the bike. If you don't, you may make incorrect conclusions.
Quote Reply
Re: Best Aero Sensor to Buy? [Russ Brandt] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
Great thank you for the info

Do you try to test when there is little to no wind?

Do you use Golden Cheetah. Or just the aero sensor app?
Last edited by: MrTri123: Dec 9, 23 17:39
Quote Reply

Prev Next