Login required to started new threads

Login required to post replies

Benefit of Hill Runs?
Quote | Reply
As an amateur athlete with a limited amount of time for practice (I train for mostly OLY and get about 3-4 workouts in every discipline/week for a total of maybe 12-18 hours/week) in the past I have incorporated a hill run/hill repeats into one of my 3-4 runs/week. I got nowhere (neither on the bike or on the run). IMPORTANT: I am familiar with the concepts of structured training and had my training plans checked and approved by some reputable coaches in the past.

I recently started running only flat and more often right off the bike. I substituted the hill run with another hilly bike. I discovered that my running has improved (even off the bike) and that I feel fresher on my bike workouts. This translates to more efficient training both on the bike and for the run. In retrospect I believe that the hill runs always left me quite drained (even with max possible recovery) and consequently I could not focus that well on bike or running technique (stroke, turnover, speed etc.).

This observation makes me question the suitability and benefits of hill runs/repeats for a MOP of even FOP triathlete on limited training time.

Any takers/coaches who want to comment on my observation?

I know, I am a sample of one.

adrialin

(BOMK, racing drug and supplement free since 1985)
Quote Reply
Re: Benefit of Hill Runs? [adrialin] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
If you're doing hills, you can cut the speedwork out. Hill training is actually hidden speed training, in my book. If you cut hills, reinstitute speedwork.

Most OLY athletes that I know would love to have 12 to 18 hours/week, btw. Even most of the 1/2IM and IM athletes I know ;-)

T.
Quote Reply