Login required to started new threads

Login required to post replies

Becoming a "Guide"
Quote | Reply
I've been thinking about this a long time, but have never really known where to start.

I'd like to change my relationship to triathlon for a while, and rather than focusing on my personal goals, I want to help another athlete achieve theirs. In particular, I'd love to support a blind athlete finish an Ironman.

For those who have done this, where did you start? Did you train locally with your partner athlete? I assume that would be essential, to bond as a team and learn each other's ques? Did you start with single event races (e.g., guiding a swim, a run, etc.) and/or shorter distance events, or just jump right in?
Quote Reply
Re: Becoming a "Guide" [wintershade] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
Achilles International is a good resource: https://www.achillesinternational.org/

Disclaimer: one of the races my wife and I produce fundraises for the Connecticut Chapter of Achilles.

----------------------------------
Editor-in-Chief, Slowtwitch.com | Twitter
Quote Reply
Re: Becoming a "Guide" [rrheisler] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
If you are an American you may want to check out your local VA. I had a friend that worked for them and got me to "guide "
a few VA runners in events. Big fields do require some skill. I would start with smaller events and move up if you find it suits you.
Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
Be honest, it's just an excuse to get another bike (tandem)

I can't help with your question at all, but good on you.
Quote Reply
Re: Becoming a "Guide" [rrheisler] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
I raced with Aaron Scheidies to help him be the first blind triathlete to go under 2 hours in an Olympic distance triathlon (Dallas US Open 2007), guided him to a couple of his world championship titles and was his “pilot” in Paralympic cycling for 2016 Rio games. That all started because we happened to be living in Seattle at the same time and became friends.

It’s nice to train with the athlete, but so long as you have enough time with them to understand what they need and be in tune with each other it’s not absolutely critical. Experienced athletes can train a guide in a very short amount of time (first time I raced with Aaron we only rode together twice ahead of time plus one run and one swim).
That said, there’s a great feeling of really being in sync with another athlete, and that only comes with practice and time. Racing in Rio after a year of consistently training and racing with Aaron is one of my favorite memories as an athlete.

Where to find a partner? Achilles is a great resource, I haven’t worked with them but I see them on Saturday mornings in Santa Monica doing group runs. I can recommend USABA (US association of blind athletes), or Challenged Athlete Foundation (CAF) as other good places to start out. Local tri clubs and Facebook are another resource. Most of the time visually impaired athletes are eager to find guides that can keep up and also devote training time. Finding someone who is willing to put their own goals aside to help is not easy. For me as a guide it wasn’t easy either. I had to forgo prize money races at a time when that was my source of income. Ultimately it kept my heart in triathlon at a time I was feeling burnt out, and the sacrifice was well worth it.

-Ben Collins

Ben Collins
Amateur Swimmer, Amateur Cyclist, Amateur Runner...
...Professional Triathlete.
It's not the length that matters, but what you do with it.
Quote Reply
Quote | Reply

https://dare2tri.org is a great group to help you get into guiding as well.

Thanks for moving in this direction--I have a teammate on Tower26 who is also doing it, and one of our coaches is associated with Dare2Tri. I'd be happy to connect you with them if you want a real person to talk to instead of just a website to reference.

--Meg
Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
I've recently had the same idea. For me the best resource was starting local. Talking to local clubs and teams was the ticket to get me pointed in the right direction.

"trashlete20" for 20% off Peak NA Cocktails for Recovery
Youtube
Last edited by: csb146: Mar 30, 23 8:15
Quote Reply