Login required to started new threads

Login required to post replies

Prev Next
Re: Beckham going to Kona [Sanuk] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
Sanuk wrote:
He kicked a ball, he wasn't performing brain surgery.

I am sure the irony of this comment is not lost on a site like Slowtwitch where cycling and all its irrelevant minutiae IS discussed ad nauseum like its brain surgery.
Quote Reply
Re: Beckham going to Kona [blackthugcat] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
Well lets just see if he qualifies. If nothing else the cook should have to qualify or try to get in by lotto. He got one pass already :0)

Re: Beckham going to Kona [Bmanners] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
Bmanners wrote:
Well lets just see if he qualifies. If nothing else the cook should have to qualify or try to get in by lotto. He got one pass already :0)

He's already qualified on the celebrity rankings. Well and truly.
Quote Reply
Re: Beckham going to Kona [blackthugcat] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
Just skipped the last 20 or so comments, but what I read all the time is that he has a lot of spare time to train. I would doubt that. He is building up his post-sports brand now, I guess with a lot of commitments. And if he is trying to go biking he always has a group of paparazzi following him. Although, maybe they can transport spare tires then.
Quote Reply
Re: Beckham going to Kona [Sideways] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
Sideways wrote:
oceanlife wrote:

Just need him and Adam Levine for best tatted up in a race kit and the female viewership of Kona just skyrocketed.

What a dream pair. Yes please.

clm
Nashville, TN
https://twitter.com/ironclm | http://ironclm.typepad.com
Quote Reply
Re: Beckham going to Kona [Bmanners] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
How seriously is he going to take this? He doesn't need to approach it like Hines & Gordon - putting in serious training just to have the fitness to finish. He could coast @ 8-10 hours per week and probably go sub 13.

However, if he puts in 14-18 hours a week, then watch out.

Thoughts on being an Urban Triathlete
Quote Reply
Re: Beckham going to Kona [SayHey Kid] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
SayHey Kid wrote:
Sanuk wrote:
He kicked a ball, he wasn't performing brain surgery.

I am sure the irony of this comment is not lost on a site like Slowtwitch where cycling and all its irrelevant minutiae IS discussed ad nauseum like its brain surgery.

"He kicked a ball, he wasn't defizzing coke."

Is that more appropriate?
Quote Reply
Re: Beckham going to Kona [devashish_paul] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
devashish_paul wrote:
knighty76 wrote:
I am the opposite, I enjoy being part of a niche group and it's hard enough getting into the races you want to enter, let alone the number of folk splashing around at the start. And the more people complete an Ironman, the less "special" it is that I have done. Leave my sport alone (says somebody who only started triathlon 4 years ago...).

;-)

I started racing in 1985, and just finished my 29th year of racing. Trust me, if you think triahtlon is niche now, it was even more niche 3 decades ago, and really you don't want it to be totally niche. There is more value for it to be understood in the mainstream. I won't get into all the zillion reasons why, but in the end, our sports have to survive as businesses to have some infrastruture around them or they will wither on the vine and die off, because too people do it and too people care about it. I'd rather that triathlon lean more to the side of mass participation marathon running where everyone can aspire to do one, than to modern pentathlon where the only reason the sport survives is because it is in the Olympics. If the Olympics drops it, the sport dies. Same thing with draft legal racing. if the Olympic drops it, it dies because almost no one other than a few really super fast folks in each country do it. Ironman is the mass participation format in our sport and that is a good thing. If you joined the sport only 4 years ago, the only reason you get to do it and the sport is not dead is because we grew this thing over the last 4 decades, beyond the point of a few freaks in Oahu going 140.6 on bet.

If you want exclusivity, there is always Ultraman, which they have intentionally kept small. It's like the garage band version of our sport, that only the cool people do, whereas the rest of the sport morphed into a U2 concert with instant sellouts (I did buy U2 War back in 1983 so I was a fan just before they got big).

Dev,
That was a fantastic response. 100% accurate. I think most don't realize how hard it used to be to find a race. As a college student in the early 90's, I would have to drive all over Texas for a race. I remember driving from Austin to Lubbock(6hrs one way)for a short duathlon. Now, with the growth of the sport, I have 12 races that I can get to inside of 1 hour.
Quote Reply
Re: Beckham going to Kona [Bigringonly] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
who cares about her face?

Randy Christofferson(http://www.rcmioga.blogspot.com

Insert Doubt. Erase Hope. Crush Dreams.
Quote Reply
Re: Beckham going to Kona [BLeP] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
Triathlon is becoming a soccer-mom/ retired athlete sport...
Quote Reply
Re: Beckham going to Kona [soulfresca] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
soulfresca wrote:
Triathlon is becoming a soccer-mom/ retired athlete sport...

So? Who cares who does it? Do you enjoy it? If so, do it. If you don't, then don't.

How does Danny Hart sit down with balls that big?
Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
*Disclaimer*: "not that there's anything wrong with that."
Last edited by: soulfresca: Oct 26, 13 14:00
Quote Reply
Re: Beckham going to Kona [soulfresca] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
It's great for the sport

Formely stef32
Quote Reply
Re: Beckham going to Kona [StephanM] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
I agree with you; more participation improves personal and community health. It's a positive thing.
Quote Reply
Re: Beckham going to Kona [oceanlife] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
if Becks can get at least a couple weeks of training with the Brownlee's, he's a lock for top 10 finish.
Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
I find it interesting that with Beckham coming to Kona next year and all the issues having a world wide celebrity in the race will bring that WTC has decided to start charging CAF $54K for their 2 spots maybe to help recoup some added costs of having David play on the islands.......
Quote Reply
Re: Beckham going to Kona [thegloss] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
I believe that we've already had 2 or 3 threads about the whole CAF thing.

How does Danny Hart sit down with balls that big?
Quote Reply
Re: Beckham going to Kona [SMO] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
SMO wrote:
x2

Gotta be honest with you ladies,I reckon the majority of athletes at Kona have similar or better builds than Beckham.
I respect the guy as an athlete and from what I read about him as a person and am grateful that he has decided to move into our sport for the attention it will draw.

Terry

"You are never too old to set another goal or to dream a new dream" - Les Brown
"Discipline is the bridge between goals and accomplishment" - Jim Rohn
Quote Reply
Re: Beckham going to Kona [canuck8] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
canuck8 wrote:
SMO wrote:
x2

Gotta be honest with you ladies,I reckon the majority of athletes at Kona have similar or better builds than Beckham.
I respect the guy as an athlete and from what I read about him as a person and am grateful that he has decided to move into our sport for the attention it will draw.

Terry

Most of the guys at Kona don't have the same bank account and Beckham. The ladies love him for a number of other "features" (as they should).
Quote Reply
Re: Beckham going to Kona [canuck8] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
canuck8 wrote:
SMO wrote:
x2

Terry

Well there's a marketing opportunity missed - where's the KONAPASSION 'Kona Age Groupers 2013 Calendar' along the lines of Cyclepassion? Huh?
Quote Reply
Re: Beckham going to Kona [devashish_paul] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
devashish_paul wrote:
canuck8 wrote:
SMO wrote:
x2

Terry

Most of the guys at Kona don't have the same bank account and Beckham. The ladies love him for a number of other "features" (as they should).

Dev,

Absolutely agreed and he deserves every cent.
My response was triggered based upon a poster saying that she would love to see him without his shirt on,or something similiar. I inadvertently quoted a poster who agreed with this
My point is that soccer(football to the rest of the world) players generally speaking have great legs,but due to the nature and demands of the sport,very undeveloped upper bodies.
Beckham is a poster boy for the typical soccer player.

"Competitive" Ironman athletes (those at Kona where supposedly Becks will lose his shirt) have by nature of our training,wide shoulders,narrow waits,muscular quads/calves/hammys and lean upper body musculature.Primarily due to years of swimming,cycling,running,core training,etc.

Dont get me wrong,I think Beckham is a role model for children,men,husbands alike.
But as far as upper body physique,presently from pics I have ever seen of him shirtless,he will look like a boy amongst men at Kona,without a shirt on.
How he races of course and the attention he draws to our event is what is important of course.

Terry

"You are never too old to set another goal or to dream a new dream" - Les Brown
"Discipline is the bridge between goals and accomplishment" - Jim Rohn
Quote Reply
Re: Beckham going to Kona [thegloss] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
Just curious will he have to do a 1/2 IM prior to Kona? If so by when will he have to do it by?
Quote Reply
Re: Beckham going to Kona [desert dude] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
He will go sub 12 easy.
Quote Reply

Prev Next