Login required to started new threads

Login required to post replies

Prev Next
Re: Beckham going to Kona [knighty76] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
Maybe Jenson's wife/girlfriend smiles. All kidding aside, some of these guys just have everything perfect, but that is fine as they work harder than us for it all and are not squandering time posting here (damn you slowman....). I think we know our place in life and that is fine too :-)
Quote Reply
Re: Beckham going to Kona [yorkcb7] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
yorkcb7 wrote:
More importantly can we just have a caption contest for this photo?

I wonder if those tats would look so good on me ?
Quote Reply
Re: Beckham going to Kona [InWyo] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
Yeah, I was going to say high 9s are a real possibility...just didn't want to say it first. :)
Quote Reply
Re: Beckham going to Kona [BLeP] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
hmmm, the article says "worlds toughest triathlon." I wonder what that means.

--------------------------------------------
TEAM F3 Undurance
Quote Reply
Re: Beckham going to Kona [Grindcore] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
Grindcore wrote:
Yeah, I was going to say high 9s are a real possibility...just didn't want to say it first. :)
...LOL, OK now that you said it....70-5:15-3:30 gets him there. I'd like to give him some transition training to squeek under as I was sub 5:30 for T1+T2 (but lost the 45-49 transition championship by a few seconds....). We'll need Beck to get those transitions sub 5:00 or run faster....

I think sub 10 will be a stretch. Sub 10:30 seems more comfortably fast.

Dev
Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
yorkcb7 wrote:

"Wonder if he can can cook with that thing...?"
Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
yorkcb7 wrote:

That reminds me ... Gotta stock up on sausage

"What's your claim?" - Ben Gravy
"Your best work is the work you're excited about" - Rick Rubin
Quote Reply
Re: Beckham going to Kona [InWyo] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
If they change the rules to only backwards and side ways running I bet he'll throw down the fastest run split:

(owen hargraves)

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=SMy-qBo0gbw
Quote Reply
Re: Beckham going to Kona [randymar] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
This might be the best yet.
Quote Reply
Re: Beckham going to Kona [devashish_paul] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
I think a sub 10 is possibly but highly unlikely. Shouldn't have any trouble going sub 11 though. He was every possible tool at his disposal to go sub 10 though, from genetics to equipment, so it really comes down to how committed he is.

Twitter
Instagram
Quote Reply
Re: Beckham going to Kona [travis_lt] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
travis_lt wrote:
... from genetics to equipment, ...

Gordon's checking that for you

"What's your claim?" - Ben Gravy
"Your best work is the work you're excited about" - Rick Rubin
Quote Reply
Re: Beckham going to Kona [Sanuk] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
Sanuk wrote:
With the exposure Kona is receiving, it'll really bring triathlon into the spot light!

I am living in Asia right now so am not sure about all the coverage Kona is getting back home so I contacted my family and some friends in Canada to ask them if they heard anything recently about the Hawaii Ironman. Not one person knew Ramsay did the race and not one person saw any coverage in the newspapers, on television or even word of mouth. It is a small sample of about 50 people but it does show me that the exposure Kona gets is really only amongst triathletes themselves, not too surprising.

Every year I hear how celebrities (like Beckham) will really give exposure to triathlons and how great it will be for the sport but I haven't seen much of that in the last 20 years, despite hearing the same claim almost every single year. I see fees going up, prize money staying the same or decreasing, increasing difficulty to get into races and the actual media coverage going down (I would love it if triathlon went back to an obscure sport). NBC used to do the IMH and it drew large audiences, now it barely registers a blip. I lived in Canada when Peter Reid won and he would get a very small paragraph in the back sections of the newspapers and then it was forgotten, and that was for the winner of the race.

Exposure in the sense that it introduces the sport to someone who has never heard of Ironman/triathlon before. Triathlon is still a long way from being mainstream like soccer, football or basketball or even motorsports.

What I meant is that if a fan of Beckham or just anybody who knows Beckham comes across an article about him doing this "Kona" thing, he is going to find out about the world of that 140.6 miles.
Its not always about the mainsteam coverage, it's the little things like Beckham's name appearing in a Facebook news feed, a Twitter article or something on that level.

I think if people discover the world of Ironman because a famous someone was mentioned in an article, that is good exposure for me. :)

BTW I live in Asia too. And people in my social circle are already begin to tall about it. That's good exposure. Haha

--------------
"Today I will do what others won't, so tomorrow I can do what others can't."
Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
He should post 11hrs something...
Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
Grindcore wrote:
Yeah, he's just going to have to put in some work and not try to rest on his talent. If he really works hard I could see low 10's. It's hard work and body type thing and he has the right build. A guy like Hines is just too beefy and it would take years to morph into a triathlete. Beckham is there already..just train it up ( and learn to swim lol).

Maybe that's Crowie's plan now that he's stepping away from IM. Maybe he should take a year off and just be his training partner.

TrainingBible Coaching
http://www.trainingbible.com
Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
I think this is great, this is really good for the sport.

Actually, I think WTC should just have pros, celebrities and some of the people with life stories to fill in the NBC broadcast at Kona.
Seriously, who cares about the age groupers anyway.

If we want to sport to grow and reach new markets, fill Kona up with competitors that people care about, not Hans from Denmark. Give us Beckham, Upton, Tebow, Zlatan etc. With those people triathlon will be on everybody's lips.
Quote Reply
Re: Beckham going to Kona [oceanlife] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
oceanlife wrote:
desert dude wrote:

I heard many a man state that night that if they were going to bump balls with a man they wanted it to be beckham. It was really weird.

Don't deny him or yourself.

Just need him and Adam Levine for best tatted up in a race kit and the female viewership of Kona just skyrocketed.

Quote | Reply
not sure if this was already mentioned, but Becks was a champion cross country runner when he was around high school age. Don't have time to look up exactly what he did, but I remember from reading his biography a while back that he was VERY fast on his feet. that will help

---------------------------------------------------------------
http://cyclussports.com/ - #ZeroPositive #CyclusSports
http://app.strava.com/athletes/355549
https://twitter.com/ryanAjoyce
Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
BLeP wrote:
Huh, nobody has posted this yet. Beckham is going to Kona.

Queue the whining in 3, 2, 1...

http://www.dailystar.co.uk/...-Gordon-Ramsay-a-tri

Bet he gets an IM KONA tattoo
Quote Reply
Re: Beckham going to Kona [Halvard] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
Much as I like Beckham despite the fact in the past he's gotten alot of stick, I still think he should qualify just like everyone else. Whilst it may give more temporary media exposure, I question the effectiveness of drawing people into the sport just because a particular celebrity has chosen to do it. IM is by definition supposed to be hard. The desire to do it IMO is a very fundamental calling.
Quote Reply
Re: Beckham going to Kona [Multisportsdad] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
Multisportsdad wrote:

He's using Kona to prove that he's got what it takes to do Norseman, and hopefully get a celebrity spot.

<If you're gonna be dumb, you gotta be tough>
Get Fitter!
Proud member of the Smartasscrew, MONSTER CLUB
Get your FIX today?
Quote Reply
Re: Beckham going to Kona [devashish_paul] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
devashish_paul wrote:
BLeP wrote:
Huh, nobody has posted this yet. Beckham is going to Kona.

Queue the whining in 3, 2, 1...

http://www.dailystar.co.uk/...-Gordon-Ramsay-a-tri

Any coaches on here, should be salivating at the thought of training the guy. I think we here on ST can take this guy to sub 10:30 on his first shot.... if he can swim 70ish min...perhaps even sub 10.

I actually nominate Crowie to coach him. Crowie grew up playing soccer and wanted to play for Manchester United. Beckham is THE Manchester United guy. He even said, that he'd never be able to play for anyone on the Premier League other than them.

Hines was exciting, but I am totally pumped about Beckham.

------

Dev,I think Macca would be the man for Beck's,he already has a Under Armour tie in with the Premier Leauge having gone to the UK to do a promo session,photo shoot and workout with the boys at Tottenham. He is suitably Hollywood enough..Can you imagine the chaos at Kona for Macca's post race party if Beck's turned up?

----
Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
As long as he doesn't wear a shirt I'm totally cool with it.

----------------------------------------------------------------------
Jen

"In order to keep a true perspective on one's importance, everyone should have a dog that worships him and a cat that will ignore him." - Dereke Bruce
Quote Reply
Re: Beckham going to Kona [JenSw] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
x2
Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
Grindcore wrote:

I'm not certain he has the time to bike and swim enough for that. Plus figuring out how to race in the heat for that long is difficult for a lot of people. For sure he could easily put down a very fast oly or half in good weather conditions with the level of fitness any professional soccer player has, but long course hot IM is a very different story. My guess would be low 11's first time out and low 10's on the second try. But I wouldn't doubt he has sub 10 potential with a year of training under elite coaching if he takes it seriously.

-Bryan Journey
Travel Blog | Training Blog | Facebook Page
Quote Reply
Re: Beckham going to Kona [Multisportsdad] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
Multisportsdad wrote:

Probably not the Auburn Triathlon... that's just the world's toughest half. Maybe they didn't want to go through the trouble of typing out Ironman(tm)?

Either way, if people think Hines Ward was a big deal in terms of publicity, get ready for the circus to hit Kona in 2014. I hope he does participate, and just like a couple of others mentioned, he could potentially hover around high 9's to mid 10's.
Quote Reply

Prev Next