https://www.sfchronicle.com/...-thefts-18166465.php

Last edited by: Vapor Trail: Jun 23, 23 16:28
Quote Reply
Re: Bay Area armed "bike-jackers" [Vapor Trail] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
Vapor Trail wrote:
I really love living in Northern CA, but this stuff is maddening:

this has been happening for several years now. I won't ride in the hills - better to go out to Danville/Mt. Diablo to ride.
Quote Reply
Re: Bay Area armed "bike-jackers" [Erin C.] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
MT Diablo all day.

Erin C. wrote:
Vapor Trail wrote:

this has been happening for several years now. I won't ride in the hills - better to go out to Danville/Mt. Diablo to ride.
Quote Reply
Re: Bay Area armed "bike-jackers" [uva0224] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
Thanks for suggestions. I live out in Sacramento region, so those aren't my usual stomping grounds. Just bothered this nonsense occurs out here. Sad state of affairs.

I do need to get out and tackle Mt. Diablo!
Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
"i'm not even sure that's a crime anymore!" Fletch F Fletch
Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
Pretty disturbing stuff. There are some lighter handguns that could be part of the solution. They are still a bit heavy at 12oz or around 340gr. Then again it doesn't matter much for a training ride. I wouldn't carry during a race obviously as it's extra weight.
https://www.xdtalk.com/...ds/best-carry-gun-fo

This is a review for running guns but probably good for cycling as well:
https://www.nrablog.com/...es/2016/2/8-conceale
Quote Reply
Re: Bay Area armed "bike-jackers" [rhdevries] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
This might be the craziest post I have ever read on ST - and I am not even sure if you are serious? :O
Quote Reply
Re: Bay Area armed "bike-jackers" [Mulen] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
 a patent for a firearm mounted inside the aero bar tubes for minimal aero penalty while shooting and to keep pockets free
Quote Reply
Re: Bay Area armed "bike-jackers" [Mulen] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
They just want to kill someone mid-ride without having too much of a weight penalty, how is that crazy?
Quote Reply
Re: Bay Area armed "bike-jackers" [Bob Loblaw] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
Exactly. Firearms can be quite heavy. It doesn't make sense to spend thousands to save a couple hundred grams on wheels or a groupset and then carry a sidearm that's needlessly heavy.

Also I wouldn't phrase it, "wants to kill someone". That's the wrong message to send to people. Probably those bike-jackers parents had this kind of thinking! Responsible firearm use is only for when it's needed to protect yourself or your property. Thank you for your understanding.
Last edited by: rhdevries: Jun 26, 23 6:29
Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
rhdevries wrote:
Exactly. Firearms can be quite heavy. It doesn't make sense to spend thousands to save a couple hundred grams on wheels or a groupset and then carry a sidearm that's needlessly heavy.

Also I wouldn't phrase it, "wants to kill someone". That's the wrong message to send to people. Probably those bike-jackers parents had this kind of thinking! Responsible firearm use is only for when it's needed to protect yourself or your property. Thank you for your understanding.
Perhaps you could just sketch out a scenario for us showing how arming yourself when out riding your bike would help? In this scenario, include that these poor people in need of a good bike will be equipped for "responsible firearms use" or with another weapon to cause close-up harm before the 'not that heavy' firearm can be made ready for (assumed) deterrent display.
Last edited by: Ajax Bay: Jun 27, 23 1:25
Quote Reply
Re: Bay Area armed "bike-jackers" [Ajax Bay] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
Yeah, I don't think these are "poor people in need of a good bike" as you say.

Maybe I'm mistaken though, and you are right. If they are just poor people who are looking for a good bike then I think there are some other ways this can be solved. For example, Lance Armstrong and his organizations give away bikes. Maybe he can be brought into this as well?

If they are just down-on-their-luck poor, disadvantaged people who are looking for a bike so they can get and keep a job, bootstrapping themselves in the best American Dream style, then I say don't shoot them, let's help them get bikes!
Last edited by: rhdevries: Jun 27, 23 0:06
Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
Vapor Trail wrote:

I am really sad reading that.
Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
rhdevries wrote:
If they are just down-on-their-luck poor, disadvantaged people who are looking for a bike so they can get and keep a job, bootstrapping themselves in the best American Dream style, then I say don't shoot them, let's help them get bikes!

Look, Slowtwitch doesn't pay posters for completely missing the point or for reinforcing someone else's point, so you can stop now.

If you pull a gun on two gunmen who rob bikes using firearms for a living, and who are prepared while you do not expect the encounter at the given place and time, you deserve the Darwin award.

There are enough idiots with firearms in America, do not pull an N+1.

"FTP is a bit 2015, don't you think?" - Gustav Iden
Quote Reply
Re: Bay Area armed "bike-jackers" [kajet] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
Not exactly what you're on about Slowtwitch paying or not paying posters. I assume they don't unless you write those stories on their front page.

I do agree with you that there are too many guns out there. I was just pulling that Ajax lady's leg with the gun stuff, I don't even live in the US! ;)

In all seriousness, though, the police and justice system in northern Cal should be doing their jobs and then there wouldn't be this type of crime in the first place. You never hear about this kind of thing in most other countries. I live in Taiwan and this isn't allowed at all. And don't even try it in Singapore, they take a very dim view on crime plus no guns!

Anyways, I think this topic has been beaten to death already. Feel sorry for those that live there but it seems like they don't mind it or something. They need to fix this stuff themselves, or just live with it...
Last edited by: rhdevries: Jun 27, 23 2:10
Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
Bit disappointed tbh. Thought we maybe had an NRA shill helping with this topic.
Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
Smart criminals. They know stealing a fancy new bike can be more lucrative than hijacking a car. Plus, police don't care about finding your bike. A "stolen bike" report is at the bottom of the priority list, if not filed and forgotten. This is the result of a have and have not society. (someone riding a 15k bike, and another not being able to afford a roof over their head).
Quote Reply