Login required to started new threads

Login required to post replies

Base work for 2021
Quote | Reply
I had originally signed up for Lubbock 70.3, when it was cancelled, moved to Waco 70.3, and now that one is also cancelled, I'm looking towards 2021. With training for this year under the belt, and the oil field slow, I think this is probably the best chance I have to actually have time to train and complete a full IM and, as such, am targeting IMTX in April. My goal for the IM will be to complete the race without injury. I have no illusion of being FOP.

All that said, how should I go about setting the base for training for next year? I looked at plans on Today's Plan and the longest is 18 weeks. What kind of workouts should I be doing between now and the start of that? Time? Volume?

Thanks.
Quote Reply
Re: Base work for 2021 [Traket92x] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
Traket92x wrote:
I had originally signed up for Lubbock 70.3, when it was cancelled, moved to Waco 70.3, and now that one is also cancelled, I'm looking towards 2021. With training for this year under the belt, and the oil field slow, I think this is probably the best chance I have to actually have time to train and complete a full IM and, as such, am targeting IMTX in April. My goal for the IM will be to complete the race without injury. I have no illusion of being FOP.

All that said, how should I go about setting the base for training for next year? I looked at plans on Today's Plan and the longest is 18 weeks. What kind of workouts should I be doing between now and the start of that? Time? Volume?

Thanks.

If your goal is to (start and) complete a race, shoot for 2022. That’s my advice. Build volume on the bike and run through consistency throughout 2021.
Last edited by: DFW_Tri: Oct 12, 20 11:31
Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
come race oilman in conroe on nov 1. this race is still on as of now!

80/20 Endurance Ambassador
Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
Your goal right now is to build a solid foundation that will allow you to handle the volume required to actually train for an Ironman. Think "training to train."

1. Consistency across all 3 sports
  2. Address some basic technical limiters
  3. Build volume slightly (i.e. progressing from 50min long run to 80-90 minutes and 1:30/2 hr long ride to 3:30 or maybe 4:00 hours over the next 8-10 week).
  4. A bit of intensity but avoid large volumes of intensity. Think about touching all energy systems briefly.
  5. Strength and mobility. Especially hips and core/torso.
  6. Make equipment changes and bike position changes NOW instead of 2 weeks out

No need to train more than 8-12 hours per week right now depending on current fitness level and training load. Build the foundation. Then train for a race.

Mark Saroni
Re: Base work for 2021 [damon.lebeouf] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
damon.lebeouf wrote:

I'm trying to convince myself I could do it, but I had signed up for an October 31st half marathon with my wife. At the time, it would have been two weeks post Waco, so it was going to be a 'recovery' run to encourage my wife. Now it's my last hurrah for the year. If I had kept with the swimming after the Waco cancellation, I would feel better about trying to pull it off.
Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
Traket92x wrote:
damon.lebeouf wrote:

I'm trying to convince myself I could do it, but I had signed up for an October 31st half marathon with my wife. At the time, it would have been two weeks post Waco, so it was going to be a 'recovery' run to encourage my wife. Now it's my last hurrah for the year. If I had kept with the swimming after the Waco cancellation, I would feel better about trying to pull it off.

out of those two def do the half. thats more important. the challenge of running a half then the next day doing a 70.3 sounds like fun / torture though!

80/20 Endurance Ambassador
Quote Reply
Re: Base work for 2021 [Mark S] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
Mark S wrote:
Your goal right now is to build a solid foundation that will allow you to handle the volume required to actually train for an Ironman. Think "training to train."

1. Consistency across all 3 sports
  2. Address some basic technical limiters
  3. Build volume slightly (i.e. progressing from 50min long run to 80-90 minutes and 1:30/2 hr long ride to 3:30 or maybe 4:00 hours over the next 8-10 week).
  4. A bit of intensity but avoid large volumes of intensity. Think about touching all energy systems briefly.
  5. Strength and mobility. Especially hips and core/torso.
  6. Make equipment changes and bike position changes NOW instead of 2 weeks out

No need to train more than 8-12 hours per week right now depending on current fitness level and training load. Build the foundation. Then train for a race.

Thanks.
2. I hadn't considered but I guess I should is getting some swim lessons in. Despite growing up in the water, I have horrible form (can swim all day, just look ugly). The place to swim locally is a small pond with muddy water so it doesn't work well for video. I can drive to a nearby city for lessons on form though.
3. Currently at 75-85 minute runs and 2:30-3:30 bikes.
5. Great point. I'm feeling like my arms are noodles right now. Apparently running, biking and moving a computer mouse isn't good for upper body strength.
6. Just put on new aerobars with more adjustments. I'll be putting up a fit critique video soon.
Quote Reply
Re: Base work for 2021 [DFW_Tri] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
How long a build up period would you be recommending. While my prep for Lubbock would have been woeful, bike and run mileages have been building pretty steady since March.
Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
Traket92x wrote:
How long a build up period would you be recommending. While my prep for Lubbock would have been woeful, bike and run mileages have been building pretty steady since March.

I’m giving this advice because I don’t think a April IM will take place with COVID. Just my opinion. No special insight.
Last edited by: DFW_Tri: Oct 12, 20 12:13
Quote Reply
Re: Base work for 2021 [damon.lebeouf] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
damon.lebeouf wrote:
Traket92x wrote:
damon.lebeouf wrote:

out of those two def do the half. thats more important. the challenge of running a half then the next day doing a 70.3 sounds like fun / torture though!

In my mind, I feel like it could be fun, but my knees and ankles know otherwise.:) The half is all my wife's race. It's that objective that got her passion for running going again and helped get the baby weight off.
Quote Reply
Re: Base work for 2021 [DFW_Tri] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
DFW_Tri wrote:
Traket92x wrote:

I’m giving this advice because I don’t think a April IM will take place with COVID. Just my opinion. No special insight.

Gotcha. Between having a semblance of a base and work being slow for the first time in a decade, I think I'm facing a situation that it might be 2021 or never for an IM (at least a decade or more). Worst case, my wife ends up with a fit husband and saves money on the race cost...
Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
Traket92x wrote:
DFW_Tri wrote:
Traket92x wrote:

Gotcha. Between having a semblance of a base and work being slow for the first time in a decade, I think I'm facing a situation that it might be 2021 or never for an IM (at least a decade or more). Worst case, my wife ends up with a fit husband and saves money on the race cost...

I wish you all the best. If that is true, if I were you, I would search for a smaller race. I don’t see an IM-branded race happening that early in the year before any vaccine is widely distributed. I’m sure some folks on here can give you some ideas of smaller race in your area if you ask.
Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
Swim with a band. Swim with a band & buoy. Swim with fins. Swim with fins and paddles. Swim fast. All of those things improve stroke mechanics.

I wouldn't worry too much about upper body strength. Pulling with paddles will fix that for swim.

Get the fit dialed then get comfortable in the aero bars!

Mark Saroni
Quote | Reply
Traket92x wrote:

All that said, how should I go about setting the base for training for next year?

Everything you do adds to your fitness level. You should stop using the term base training. In fact everyone should. NOW.

Traket92x wrote:
Time?
Yes

Traket92x wrote:
Volume?
Yes

Read this thread https://forum.slowtwitch.com/...robic_base_P4173898/

then this thread https://forum.slowtwitch.com/...se_P4847211/?page=-1

Brian Stover USAT LII
Accelerate3 Coaching
Insta

Quote Reply