Login required to started new threads

Login required to post replies

Prev Next
Barefoot Running: Proceed, but with Caution
Quote | Reply
Today’s New York Times has an article on barefoot running. At JackRabbit, we have always encouraged people to run with the most natural form possible. The Times article highlighted a growing trend toward more efficient running, and shoes like the Nike Free, which encourage a more natural gait. But we also caution all of our runners that it takes time to develop the strength to run correctly, and that it is far more productive to make the shift gradually than to jump cold turkey into a new way of running.

Human beings evolved to run barefoot. Long before there were stability shoes, or shoes of any kind, humans were regularly running 5-15 miles every day to hunt, forage, migrate, and raid competing tribes. Over long distances, a human being can outrun a horse, an antelope, a buffalo, and almost any other animal. Native Americans had many coming of age rites that involve long distance running, including bringing down a deer barehanded. Buddhist monks in Japan continue to practice long distance running as a form of meditation and self-awareness. Our only rivals in this niche are dogs, which might explain the close relationship we enjoy with our four legged friends.

Our bodies are marvels of engineering that work best when we run as though barefoot. Try this test: find someplace with a hard floor and run a few yards in your sneakers. Chances are good that you land with your heel first, then roll onto the ball of your foot and off your big toe. Now take off your shoes and try to run the same way. If you can do it at all, you find that it hurts! Your body is not built to absorb the impact of landing on your heels first when you run. The only reason we can run this way at all is that modern shoes cushion the impact. In fact, when you run barefoot your natural tendency is to land first with the ball of your foot (that is, the bony area about an inch behind your big toe). The impact of your landing is absorbed in your calves and your quads as your heel comes down toward the ground and your knee straightens out. Study after study shows that this form of running results in greater efficiency, which means you can run faster while burning fewer calories and working at a lower heartrate. It also engages all the muscles in your foot and leg, so you naturally stabilize yourself instead of relying on your shoes for stability. Simply put, the best way to run is to run the way nature designed us.

BUT evolution does not account for our modern lifestyles. In the US, almost every child starts wearing shoes by 6 months old, and we wear shoes of various types for almost every waking moment of our lives. We also spend a large fraction of our time sitting at our desks, in cars, trains, and planes, at the table, and on the couch. And where our ancestors routinely ran long distances every day, modern Americans run only a few miles, and at most a 3-6 times a week.

SO while humans evolved to run barefoot, in our modern lives we do not develop the muscle strength & flexibility, bone density, ligament strength, vascular capacity, nerve distribution, and other attributes that our ancestors developed routinely. That means that while the human body is at its most efficient when running as though barefoot, most of us lack the strength to maintain that form for any length of time. While there is a vocal minority of people who have switched to running methods like Pose Running and ChiRunning with no problems, the vast majority of people who make the shift (including your humble author) end up injured, and some are unable to run at all.

So while JackRabbit recommends that everyone try to develop a more natural running form, we also recommend making the switch very slowly. When we help our customers find the right running shoes, we use our treadmill to find the shoe that results in the most natural gait – that is, the combination of forces from your feet and from the shoes result in a natural running form. Modern running shoes do a very good job supplementing the strength that our feet would have if we ran more than we do. As you run, you develop more strength in your feet and as a result you need less from your shoes. The more you can rely on your own muscles, ligaments and bones, the better runner you’ll be and the less prone you’ll be to injury.

Anyone, at any level, can develop a more natural running form. The exact program will vary depending on your level, strengths and weaknesses, and susceptibility to injury. But almost everyone can benefit from making a few changes in the way they run.

First, try taking shorter strides more frequently. Use a stopwatch and count your steps, and see if you can take 90 or more strides per minute (that is, your right foot hits the ground 90 times in 60 seconds). At first it takes a lot more effort to run that way, so try it for a few intervals during your regular runs, and gradually increase as it feels more comfortable. When you start out, each step will be shorter than it is now, and you may be slower. But as you adapt, your strides will lengthen back out and you'll end up faster than you were.

Second, (and this is harder to describe) try to eliminate up and down motion when you run. You can do this by “squatting down” when you run, so your legs can move under your pelvis without your torso moving up and down. A good way to practice this is on an elliptical machine in your gym, where you can try to hold your torso in place while your legs move underneath you.

The third change is not for everyone. You may be able to do a small portion of your running in very lightweight shoes with little support, such as racing flats, “lightweight performance” shoes or the Nike Free 5.0. Running in less supportive shoes forces you to use all the "little" muscles in your ankles and feet that don’t get enough of a workout in normal running shoes. However, some people don’t have the strength to do even a little running without support from their shoes. There’s a reason those muscles are small, and they’re easily overworked and injured. Better to work them too little than too much. (We can help you decide if this is an experiment you should try by analyzing your form on our treadmill.)

Lastly, on the days when you’re running in lightweight shoes, add intervals where you land on the ball of your foot first instead of on your heel. It’s easier (and more productive) to do this running on flats or uphill than running downhill. Gradually increase the length of those intervals, being conscious that you’re using all the muscles in your leg in a completely different way and it is very, very easy to overdo it. You may feel rapid gains in the first few weeks, but don’t expect to maintain that pace of improvement. The first few weeks your calves will probably hurt; that’s natural, but it’s also your body sending you a warning that you should listen to. Ignoring the pain can lead to tendonitis, plantar fascitis, and heel spurs, all of which can hinder your development as a runner far more than you benefit from the improved form.

Recommended Reading:

Why We Run by Bernd Heinrich

Explosive Running by Michael Yessis

Lee Silverman

JackRabbit Sports
Quote Reply
Re: Barefoot Running: Proceed, but with Caution [lsilverman] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
Lee, thanks for the informative post. We need more running post on this forum.

Are running flats and the new Nike Free shoes similar in that they more mimic barefoot running? So can one substiture flats for the Nike Free shoes?
Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
Question.

I play alot of outdoor soccer where the shoes provide very little support compared to regular running shoes. I imagine running in my cleats is very close to running in flats.

I have also had my form analyzed during regular running in regular running shoes and I have been show to have a pronounced heel strike.

I have been trying to adopt a more "nartual" form for the past year. Do you think these Free shoes would be of benefit, and do you think with my soccer background that I might not have to worry so much about injury?

Thanks for the informative post.
Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
I don't think these lightweight shoes mimic barefoot running. I've not yet worn the Nike Free, but all of the flats I've worn still allow one to land on their heel without any significant amount of pain.
Last edited by: Sojourner: Jun 23, 05 8:54
Quote Reply
Re: Barefoot Running: Proceed, but with Caution [neotri] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
One thing I have found that mimics barefoot running....is barefoot running. That will be $60 please.

Go to the HS football feild. Walk around it and look for sharp objects. When you feel it is safe take your shoes off and run (not sprint) a few hundred yards. Do this 1-2 times a week. Build slowly.

I have a paypal account for my sports consulting company.
Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
This is all good advice, and I wish I would have heeded it more closely over the past few months. After reading quite a few Vitruvian and forefoot-striking posts on this forum, I ordered a pair from Chuck for long runs and a pair of Nike racing flats for short training runs and races, always focusing on forefoot-striking. Over the last four weeks, after around 3 months of trying to change my gait, I've developed a near-constant burning/tearing sensation in my lower right leg - whatever that muscle is between my achilles and my calf. Any race-level effort makes me limp for at least three days. I've tried stretching before and after runs, ice, heat, alternating ice and heat - I'm going to my doc today to try to get a referral to a physical therapist, and I'm hoping whatever damage I've done can be undone by going back to stability trainers for most of my running and easing back into the more minimalist shoes.
Quote Reply
Re: Barefoot Running: Proceed, but with Caution [elund] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
For the most natural results, one should also opt to run with out clothes.
I too have a paypal account.
Quote Reply
Re: Barefoot Running: Proceed, but with Caution [elund] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
elund, thanks for the consultation. Good point about running on grass.

Check is in the mail :)
Quote Reply
Re: Barefoot Running: Proceed, but with Caution [neotri] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
I think what articles like this fail to address are that some people are just born with legs/feet/hips which are misaligned and no amount of strengthening will fix them. I have seen numerous times. These people back in the caveman days would likely have been food for some animal since they weren't able to run longer distances or whatever. I would bet even the caveman had shin splints and running related injuries.
But I fully agree that most people could benefit from some strengthening and examination of how they run. These shoes are getting out of hand too.
Quote Reply
Re: Barefoot Running: Proceed, but with Caution [martytram] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
Lee, another suggestion to improve muscle strength in the small muscle of the foot and ankle/calf area is to use a wobble board or instability pad to strengthen these areas. I wanted to go to a lighter shoe this year, but had suffered some small sprains and other injuries last season. I did a bit of research into instability training and ended up just adding the wobble boards to my gym rountines for the winter. I am currently using the NB 900 shoe which is a lot less supportive than my previous shoes but not quite a flat. I love it. I feel that I have more control over what my foot does when I step on the unexpected rock or miss a small dropoff at the side of the shoulder.

The excercises I did that helped the most were lunges with the front foot on the wobble board. It helps to have a balance pole or a hand on the wall when you start this. Squats with both feet on boards. This is hard! Start with a balance pole and no weight or do close to wall, then try to do with out the pole but use a squat rack that keeps the bar attached (I forget what you call this) with no weight. I got to the point where i could do 10 squats with no support and no weight just an empty bar. Also try doing squats with your rear foot on a bench, then with the rear foot on a stability ball. These all worked great and I am in lighter shoes with absolutely no injuries and to my surprize a lot less run related soreness this year.

Jim

**Note above poster works for a retailer selling bikes and related gear*
Quote Reply
Re: Barefoot Running: Proceed, but with Caution [jabroz01] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
Yup - I see about 2-3 patients a week who experiment with the "barefoot" running thing.

I think I have a better understanding of foot biomechanics than most anyone here, and I'm not going to try it. It is not that I don't "believe" in this, but I do not live on the Serenghetti. Even I did run barefoot, comfortably, for 1 hour per day for the next 6 months .... I'm still in shoes the rest and on concrete. I run fine and fast now. achilles and calf injuries are just far too common and VERY tough to get over - best of luck to all who "try"

I do, however, agree with a more "minimal" and lower heel counter shoe, even in moderate pronators/flat feet. Not a big fan of the super motion control shoes (i.e. Brooks Beast), although some are OK for the right individual (ASICS Kayano)

Quote | Reply
not sure that i will go barefoot for extended distances where i train any time soon... but my favorite shoes for running are my 10 year old Mizuno Supersonics which are now being held together with a little Goop and a few strands of 4 lb monofilament.

they offer no real support and i can feel just about anything i go over. they weigh something on the order of 5 oz, give or take one, probably less considering the wear on them.

when i made the switch from "made for comfort" shoes to "made for running" flats, i started to enjoy running just for the sake of it.

does anyone put on no shoes cross country 5k's or similar? that would get my interest.

Train hard...race well.
www.jimmishler.com
"Jim, I happen to agree with you" DougStern
Quote Reply
Re: Barefoot Running: Proceed, but with Caution [Markus Mucus] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
[quote]...some people are just born with legs/feet/hips which are misaligned and no amount of strengthening will fix them. These people back in the caveman days would likely have been food for some animal since they weren't able to run longer distances[/quote]

thanks, that would be me!

"Failure is an event, not a person."
Quote Reply
Re: Barefoot Running: Proceed, but with Caution [chickenlegs] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
Some people have biomechanical issues that do not warrant barefoot running of racing flats. I have found my IT band issues are due to my bowed legs and without an orthotic I am just asking for problems. Sure the vast majority of orthotic users most likely do not need them, however a segment of the running populations absolutely does need them.

"You're guaranteed to miss 100% of the shots you never take" - Wayne Gretzky
Quote Reply
Re: Barefoot Running: Proceed, but with Caution [rroof] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
Just curious what I should expect if I see a PT - what kind of advice do you usually give? Is this a "if it hurts when you do that, then don't do that" thing? Or, a "back off and start over more gradually" thing? Or, maybe a "stop using free internet advice and JFR" thing?
Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
1) Cavemen who weren't adapted to run and survive were "selected" out. Hence, we are all genetically linked to those who were capable runners.

2) How do you know that modern running shoes don't exascerbate the "mis-alignment" that some people have?

To me, I see the modern running shoe going down an evolutionary path to extinction. They started to protect the feet, but now have all sorts of stuff. Look at a standard pair - there is heel lift, and a slight flare at the heel. So the heel at the sole is as wide as the toe box. Look at your foot, the forefoot is most certainly wider than the heel. I suspect the flare at the heel is to stabilize the foot on landing, since the higher off the ground one is, the less stable, so you go with a wider base. The problem is that this really messes with mechanics - now the flare point is hitting the ground first and transmitting forces into the body at a different time and position than a natural gait. Same with heel lift. I postulate this is why there are so many problems with overpronation, ITB, and runners knee. The fact of the matter is - you can't add cushioning to a shoe without changing gait mechanics - cushioning, while a good idea at the outset, introduces a whole new set of problems.

I recently visited my high school XC coach. He now coaches JR high. I told him I have been having problems with shin splints lately (something I never had a problem with ten years ago). Immediately he says that he can't believe how much he hears about shin splints now, and that when he was running in HS, he never heard of it. I then go to his track meet (he now coaches JR high), and there are no less than 5 kids (a few from both teams) with shins taped up. This is a JR track team folks. I never saw that in HS, and only know of one or two people the whole 4 years I ran who complained about it.

We need to start thinking outside of the box a littlebit, and question conventional practices and rationalizations on why we "need" what we have right now.

---------------------------------------------------------

"What the mind can conceive and believe, the mind and body can achieve; and those who stay will be champions."
Quote Reply
Re: Barefoot Running: Proceed, but with Caution [jackattack] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
[reply]1) Cavemen who weren't adapted to run and survive were "selected" out. Hence, we are all genetically linked to those who were capable runners.

Not so. Simply having two perfect pairs of genes will not guarantee you a thrid perfect set. Too many variables to state there will never be less than perfect genes. What about the caveman that couldn't run but knew how to hide really well? :) Or the nerd caveman that invented something to stave off the attackers? There will always be inferior genes.

2) How do you know that modern running shoes don't exascerbate the "mis-alignment" that some people have?

That's my point about how the shoes are getting out of hand. Slowly building muscle strength and what not are excellent and highly advisable. But there are those people out there who do need the mechanical fix. I have orthotics and I put them in racing flats most of the time and can run forever. Could I now do that without the orthotics? Maybe but I don't want to chance it. :)
Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
The Nike Frees are nothing more than flexible cushioned running shoes. The heel is as thick as any other running shoe. It might help make your forefoot stronger, but I don't know if it would help a heel striker learn to not heel strike. Something like the Puma H Street or Nike Waffle are much better at mimicing barefoot style.

I can only attest to my own experience, but changing to flats was the best thing I ever did for my running. I used to get shin splints, knee problems and twisted ankles. Now all those injuries are something that don't happen to me anymore, knock on wood. I did however did take it VERY slow. You can't just buy flats and expect to do whatever milage. I spent 6 months to point where I was running 10 miles comfortably in them.

I noticed that the padding on the bottom of my feet grew thicker. Not callouses, just thicker flesh and skin. My calves took the longest to adapt, at first they were extremly tender after running. Any tendency I had to pronate is completely gone, I didn't concentrate on that but it seemed to happen naturally. It's also much harder to twist your ankle off road running because of increased feel and there is no padding to roll over.
Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
You're right, there is always a possibility of inferior genes, but in the grand scheme of the existance of man, we are genetically linked to the strong. My point is just that I believe there are far less people with these types of "problems" than are going to doctors.

To those lucky people who never or rarely have any problems running, I salute you. I agree 100%, I wouldn't mess with a thing if I found something that worked.

Of course, the other reason to look for radical changes is that the less shoe one can wear, the faster they will run.

"What the mind can conceive and believe, the mind and body can achieve; and those who stay will be champions."
Quote Reply
Re: Barefoot Running: Proceed, but with Caution [Wolfwood] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
"I did however did take it VERY slow."

Exactly the key. I am in the first 100 miles, and while everything is promising, I have had slight inuries twice from doing too much. It is much easier to get injured this way.

I too am skeptical of the current Free, but hopeful that we can learn somethings from it, and that it will take shoe manufacurers in a more natural direction.

Quote Reply
Re: Barefoot Running: Proceed, but with Caution [rroof] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
Instead of the Serengeti, I live by the beach and run barefoot on the sand occasionally. Sometimes on the firmer sand by the water, but other times on the heavier, deeper sand (the beaches in the South Bay area of LA are very very wide). Definitely more of a workout for certain muscles than running on hard surfaces.

In fact, there is a 5K on the beach this Saturday (on the firm sand) that I planned to run, but unfortunately may not be back in time from meetings today and Friday in NYC. For anyone who's interested, info is on Active.com -- race is in Manhattan Beach. It's a quick run.
Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
Quote:
Human beings evolved to run barefoot. Long before there were stability shoes, or shoes of any kind, humans were regularly running 5-15 miles every day to hunt, forage, migrate, and raid competing tribes.

I assume you can reference an anthropological study that backs this claim? Did we evolve to run barefoot? Sure. Did we evolve to run 5-15miles/day? Highly unlikely. Walk/trot/run/amble/carry mixture, yes. Run, no.

I'd love to see some scientific literature along these lines...

Lets not forget that the modern human (especially in North America) is much larger than even our 'recent' ancestors. Even smaller people today would have been huge merely a couple hundred years ago. Also, we are vastly larger than most humans/pre-sapiens found in the fossil record. The foot structure doesn't scale well with increasing size and weight so I'm guessing we need some help especially given that most of our current running surfaces do not mimic any natural environment whatsoever.

ot
Quote Reply
Re: Barefoot Running: Proceed, but with Caution [OT in CA] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
Humans almost certainly didn't evolve to be runners or arrive at our present state because our ancestors were good runners. Even the very best doped up runners of the present day are no match for any quadripedal predator in speed or ability to rapidly change direction.

For that matter people on mountain bikes which are far faster and more efficient locomotion than running haven't fared too well against predators lately either.

Also if you are going to run barefoot make sure Mary Decker isn't nearby. She will trip and blame you for it.
Quote Reply
Re: Barefoot Running: Proceed, but with Caution [Wolfwood] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
"The Nike Frees are nothing more than flexible cushioned running shoes. The heel is as thick as any other running shoe. It might help make your forefoot stronger, but I don't know if it would help a heel striker learn to not heel strike. Something like the Puma H Street or Nike Waffle are much better at mimicing barefoot style."

I can only attest to my own experience, but changing to flats was the best thing I ever did for my running."
---------------------------------------------------
Good post. I feel the same way about the Frees. Even though I'd been running in flats for over a year I still took a little while to adapt to the Frees, as my calves were pretty tender after most runs. But I was also deliberately forefoot striking, Pose style. Now I just run and don't think about it, and I believe the feedback of the Frees due to their flexibility has helped in that regard. I'm certainly still a forefoot striker, but don't think about it like I did before.

I'd like to see the heel on the Frees lowered. After three months in them they don't even feel light or minimal to me anymore, and I'm interested in something with as much flexibility but with less heel. I've done all my running (right now 70-80 km./wk.) over the past two months in the Frees, including long runs up to 27 km., and my feet, ankles, and calves are all stronger and my stride is more centered than before. I did manage to rip one of them in the heel the other day so I plan on replacing it over the weekend.
Quote Reply
Re: Barefoot Running: Proceed, but with Caution [OT in CA] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
What you say might be true but show technology isn't any better. With the amount of control and coushining in shoes these day there should be no injuries.

customerjon @gmail.com is where information happens.
Quote Reply

Prev Next