Login required to started new threads

Login required to post replies

Barcelona IM
Quote | Reply
Anyone do it? Opinions? What is course like? expected conditions? trying to decide if I should fly there next year...

ty!

Randy Christofferson(http://www.rcmioga.blogspot.com

Insert Doubt. Erase Hope. Crush Dreams.
Quote Reply
Re: Barcelona IM [rcmioga] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
Already sold out for ‘19.

Quick course, draft fest and ok place albeit not in Barcelona itself.
Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
I went to support a friend of mine last year!
I live in France and thought it was a good opportunity to visit Barcelona again!
In fact, the race is 40 km south of Barcelona and neither the swim, nor the bike nor the run are in Barcelona.
For me it is an OK race but not a destination Ironman by any mean!
Quote Reply
Re: Barcelona IM [ppkestrel] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
How about the course itself?

Thanks!

Randy Christofferson(http://www.rcmioga.blogspot.com

Insert Doubt. Erase Hope. Crush Dreams.
Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
DRAFT,DRAFT,DRAFT
Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
Assuming it's the same course as the old Challenge version:

1. Fast course
2. Flat bike, pretty good road surface
3. Very flat run. Roughly 10k loops IIRC.
4. Draft fest, but aren't they all?
Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
Friend did it when it was challenge, ment the bike course was kinda full (but fast) , I wanted to do a year after....it then changed to ironman, upped the price and doubled the participants. I decided against it.

-shoki
Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
Just did the 2018 race and found it to be a great event. I have a full write up here.

Otherwise to touch on a few topics, its already sold out, i think sold 75% in the fist week after opening and full sell out 2-3 weeks later. 2018's swim was rougher than usual but the sea on the other days around the race was dead flat so really who knows. Bike course is on great roads and I found it to be wide open. I did not experience the draft fest so cant really speak to the cycle other than as my first IM distance race it was great. The run, is essentially 3 13-14 k laps on mixed surface. Generally road/tarmac with a few bits on packed gravel/sand. I found the run conditions to be very good underfoot. Towards the end of the run it did get tight in some areas but so goes it.

Calella is a great little town, and it was a really nice way to try out the IM distance for me (coming from the UK). Happy to answer any specific questions you might have.

2024: IM Hamburg
Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
I did the race 3 years ago.

There is a local bus that takes you from the Barcelona airport to the race site and back.

If you are planning to spend time in Barcelona before/after the race, you can use the train.

The bike course roads are good, but not asphalt smooth like some of the roads in the U.S. There are a bunch of circles, just like anywhere else in Europe, that you will maneuver around. Pretty fast bike course.

Swim water is murky, unlike IMFL.