Login required to started new threads

Login required to post replies

Bangin' on the gas tank - how much power am I losing?
Quote | Reply
I don't have a classic body for Tri, more on the short & stocky side, in my 50's I don't expect a major change in my shape either, so you can all put that aside. But out for a ride on my TT bike today I was thinking about the condition the fitter called 'bangin on the gas tank'.

With decent flexibility, I have no trouble with a generally flat back bike position, and can ride an IM on my aero bars no problem. However, my thighs bump my belly on every pedal stoke and while out on a ride today I decided to ask the sages of Slowtwitch for an opinion.

I've noticed on my road bike (with the same PowerTap wheel) my avg power may be 10W or more higher on a given loop than on my TT bike, but speed is higher on my go-fast bike. Some of this is because I ride differently, practicing my slippery tuck on descents, etc, but I also suspect I put out more power in a more open/upright position. Perhaps it is simply getting my gut out of the way?

So my question is, should I aim for a more upright position to get my lunch muscle out of the way (more power, more drag) or focus on staying as low an aero as possible, even if it costs me watts?

" I take my gear out of my car and put my bike together. Tourists and locals are watching from sidewalk cafes. Non-racers. The emptiness of of their lives shocks me. "
(opening lines from Tim Krabbe's The Rider , 1978
Quote Reply
Re: Bangin' on the gas tank - how much power am I losing? [TriDevilDog] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
Have you tried shorter cranks? They may allow you to keep your back flat and avoid the gas tank banging.
Quote Reply
Re: Bangin' on the gas tank - how much power am I losing? [TriDevilDog] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
Put the power tap on the road bike...
Drop your bars to create the contact condition.
Ride in the drops at 40kmh and see what power you require
Raise the bars to no touch and repeat....
The difference is your answer....
Oh and just cos your 50 doesn't mean you can't change body shape etc....
Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
Short cranks are a great suggestion, though 10 watts is not to big of a deal. Maybe even normal. This is assuming your FTP is at least 200. My rule of thumb is anything greater than a 5% disparity, road to tri, needs to be looked at. Maybe not "solved", but looked at.
Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
Now in my 60s. While I haven't lost much weight according to the scales, I have moved it around somehow. For the first time in a long time, when I am riding in Aero and look back at the saddle I can see. Oly parts back there that I never used to see. In other my "gunt" is gone (what you referred to as gas tank) or at least reduced.

I too produce more power on my road bike than Tri bike but like you, I go faster on the Tri bike although I haven't quantified it yet. Fortunately, I'm not bumping into anything, at this point.

BC Don
Pain is temporary, not giving it your all lasts all Winter.
Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
yeah, cranks.... shorter is better here

36 kona qualifiers 2006-'23 - 3 Kona Podiums - 4 OA IM AG wins - 5 IM AG wins - 18 70.3 AG wins
I ka nana no a 'ike -- by observing, one learns | Kulia i ka nu'u -- strive for excellence
Garmin Glycogen Use App | Garmin Fat Use App
Quote Reply
Re: Bangin' on the gas tank - how much power am I losing? [Trirunner] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
OK - short cranks seems like the consensus... I'll look into that. Thanks!

I was hoping someone would say 'Dude that is costing you 25 watts!" which would perhaps improve my willpower when invited out for beers.

" I take my gear out of my car and put my bike together. Tourists and locals are watching from sidewalk cafes. Non-racers. The emptiness of of their lives shocks me. "
Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
Dude that is costing you 25 watts!
Quote Reply
Re: Bangin' on the gas tank - how much power am I losing? [mlawless] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
Thanks - that is just what I nee....

What's that? They are tapping the nitro keg of Black IPA? I'll be there in 10 minutes!

Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
Hmmm, with that attitude it may take you 20' to get there! :)
Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
I put out more power in the upright position, but am faster in the aero position because of less drag. Either raise your cockpit a little or go with shorter cranks
Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
I think wattage is usually a bit higher on the road bike as you are recruiting more of the larger leg muscles to pedal (hams, glutes). On the tri-bike, more (not all, obviously) of the load is shifted to the quads. I experience the same phenomenon. As for your leg hitting the mid-section, that may indeed be an watt stealer as well.

Human Person
Quote Reply