Login required to started new threads

Login required to post replies

Bad idea to purchase a rim brake rear disc wheel?
Quote | Reply
After taking roughy 5 years off, I am getting back in. I have an old Jet 90 rear that has seens its best days, so looking at getting a new disc. I plan to ride my current bike for a few more years, but do plan on replacing it. (most likely 2 years from now)

Winded way of asking, should I hold off on getting a rim braked rear disc? For my next bike, assuming it will have disc brakes, so I dont want to by something that wil be obsolute.
Quote Reply
Re: Bad idea to purchase a rim brake rear disc wheel? [Converge418] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
Disc wheel is going to be faster. Know you're getting back into it but if you have time/place goals the next 2 years it might make sense to find something on lower end of the $ spectrum. Premier bike has their rim brake disc for $850. Flo is a little more than that and if you reach out to them for a quick consult they'll give you a discounted price, putting it just over $1000. Seems like an ok investment if you can swing it. I wouldn't get one over $2k. Better to save the extra money for the new bike/set-up.
Quote Reply
Re: Bad idea to purchase a rim brake rear disc wheel? [dcpinsonn] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
nothing wrong with rim brake setups

especially if your on a budget

you can probably find a pre owned one in good condition for well under $1k

or go with a flo wheel
theyre a great value for the money
Quote Reply
Re: Bad idea to purchase a rim brake rear disc wheel? [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
Bought a new rim brake disc wheel for gf 6 months ago and just bought another one(used) for myself 2 days ago. Rim brake disc wheel is not getting any cheaper, it's even more expensive and harder to find during this off season and I don't know why. Due to supply shortage, inflation or people don't want to sell theirs? Anyway, it's definitely faster so it's good to have. I use 88mm deep wheel if it's windy and cross wind is bad. If there's no wind and flat, I use a disc wheel.
Quote Reply
Re: Bad idea to purchase a rim brake rear disc wheel? [dcpinsonn] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
Unfortunately your post is a week late...but you can still find pretty decent deals from Premier. I would consider them, HED or the FLO. No need to spend over 1k. I'd start looking new with the three listed above then shop the classifieds and ebay.
Quote Reply
Re: Bad idea to purchase a rim brake rear disc wheel? [Converge418] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
Go for a used disc. Since discs are typically race-only wheels, they tend to have low miles. Add onto that all the folks upgrading to disc brake frames and getting a used rim brake disc wheel should be a buyer's market.

ECMGN Therapy Silicon Valley:
Depression, Neurocognitive problems, Dementias (Testing and Evaluation), Trauma and PTSD, Traumatic Brain Injury (TBI)
Quote Reply